Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rosser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
I have an 1st Gen eMac. It is currently running OS X 10.2.8. I have the DMG of the OSX 10.4 install disk. My DVD drive doesn't work right (it only accepts CDS and spits out DVDs). I copied the contents of the DMG to a flash drive, and I can't get it to boot. What am I doing wrong, and/or is there a better way to install this?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
first gen emac systems came with either a cd-rom or combo drive... are you sure you have the combo drive? if so, how do you know you have the combo drive? just asking. cd-rom/cd-rw drives will spit out dvd media like you described, that's why i'm asking.

other thought is where did you get the DMG, are you sure it's valid. lots of non-bootable crap floating about on the interwebs... if it's valid, how did you burn it DVD?

the emac will only boot from firewire (hard drive/optical), or in 'target' mode which turns the emac into a really big external drive. you would need another mac with dvd, a firewire port, and firewire cable to pull that off. best of luck

Last edited:

rosser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
first gen emac systems came with either a cd-rom or combo drive... are you sure you have the combo drive? if so, how do you know you have the combo drive? just asking. cd-rom/cd-rw drives will spit out dvd media like you described, that's why i'm asking.

other thought is where did you get the DMG, are you sure it's valid. lots of non-bootable crap floating about on the interwebs... if it's valid, how did you burn it DVD?

the emac will only boot from firewire (hard drive/optical), or in 'target' mode which turns the emac into a really big external drive. you would need another mac with dvd, a firewire port, and firewire cable to pull that off. best of luck

I guess I don't have a Combo Drive. I got the DMG from a website i don't remember which one. I have a bunch of DVD drives lying around from previous computers. Is there a way to check if any of them are compatable with the eMac?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I guess I don't have a Combo Drive. I got the DMG from a website i don't remember which one. I have a bunch of DVD drives lying around from previous computers. Is there a way to check if any of them are compatable with the eMac?

eMacs take desktop sized 5" drives. They have a PATA/IDE connector on the back. Warning: If you open the eMac do not mess with the tube. They are very dangerous.

An eMac, like most PPC Macs, can boot from a USB drive. It just needs to be formatted for PPC and contain a boottable OS.

rosser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
eMacs take desktop sized 5" drives. They have a PATA/IDE connector on the back. Warning: If you open the eMac do not mess with the tube. They are very dangerous.

An eMac, like most PPC Macs, can boot from a USB drive. It just needs to be formatted for PPC and contain a boottable OS.

How do I make the USB drive bootable? I can't stand 10.2.8 anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
How do I make the USB drive bootable? I can't stand 10.2.8 anymore.

You format it to be HFS+ with APM as the partition type. Then clone the DMG onto it. Plug it into your eMac and turn it on while pressing Option. It will be very slow, but it will boot. If it doesn't show up in the Option menu, startup in 10.2.8 and select the USB drive as the startup disk using the Startup Disk pref pane.

rosser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
You format it to be HFS+ with APM as the partition type. Then clone the DMG onto it. Plug it into your eMac and turn it on while pressing Option. It will be very slow, but it will boot. If it doesn't show up in the Option menu, startup in 10.2.8 and select the USB drive as the startup disk using the Startup Disk pref pane.

When you say clone, do you place the dmg onto the flash drive, or place the contents of the dmg onto the flash drive

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
When you say clone, do you place the dmg onto the flash drive, or place the contents of the dmg onto the flash drive.

Place the contents. You can't use Finder/Windows to do this, because it won't copy the hidden parts or save the correct permissions.

rosser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Place the contents. You can't use Finder/Windows to do this, because it won't copy the hidden parts or save the correct permissions.

So how should I do it

rosser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
I noticed that it didn't have Setup Assistant in CoreServices. Could that have anything to do with it? it didn't come on the DMG either. Should I try a different software too?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
This is starting to sound like you pirated Tiger...

I suggest you get retail DVD from eBay. Use that to make a bootable USB drive. There's also Tiger retail cd's. They are more rare and there are three of them. Make sure you get the black retail disc, not the gray reinstallation disc.

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
You need an external Combo or super drive that has fire wire 400, and a good installer DVD/CD. As long as the disc is good you can install from the external fire wire drive.

If you do have other DVD/ CD drives laying around my advice is not to open the unit yourself. eMacs can be a pain to get back together sometimes and they have a thing in them called a flyback transformer on the back of the CRT (Display). Even days to weeks after you unplug the computer it keeps a high voltage charge and if you don't discharge it, it may kill you or really mess you up. So unless you know about old tube TV's and CRT monitors don't open it up and start messing with it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.