Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Got an old iMac G3 with a CD drive, running Jaguar but is also compatible with Tiger. Was thinking of trying to breathe some life into it and upgrade it to Tiger (I hear Tiger runs faster as well?). I've been hunting the net for a Tiger install CD but turns out they're pretty rare, and thus expensive (much more than I'm willing to pay for a 10yr old computer).

I don't think the DVD route would work. It doesn't have a firewire port and I've tried a couple of USB DVD drives and none of them work with it.

Any ideas how I could upgrade from Jaguar without costing an arm and a leg (torrenting aside)?

buckers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Here's an idea.

Could I cheaply obtain a pre-owned Tiger DVD and use another comp to burn its contents onto a CD?

What do you think?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Here's an idea.

Could I cheaply obtain a pre-owned Tiger DVD and use another comp to burn its contents onto a CD?

What do you think?

I think there is too much data for it to fit on a CD, which is why they used DVDs for that. Even tiger is on the heavy side for a G3 though.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Here's an idea.

What do you think?

If the pre-owned Tiger is a Retail version, then yes (if you burn onto another DVD), but then there is no need to do that anyway, except for backing up the DVD.
If the pre-owned Tiger DVD is a grey Restore DVD, then no, as it will scan the Mac for the Model Identifier and after it sees, that the Model Identifier does not match with the one it is looking for, it will not install Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
But maybe there is a way to circumvent that checking. Maybe you can find something about that?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Maybe you could install Tiger via USB. Using your other DVD enabled computer, ou would obtain the Tiger DVD, use Disk Utility to make an image, and image the USB with Tiger (I think there are full instructions how to do this via Google).

buckers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Maybe you could install Tiger via USB. Using your other DVD enabled computer, ou would obtain the Tiger DVD, use Disk Utility to make an image, and image the USB with Tiger (I think there are full instructions how to do this via Google).

Worth a shot, I'll go and research :)

I'll post back later

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

NO. Only intel mac has USB boot support. Would work with firewire optical drive though.

It won't hurt to try though. How much RAM does the iMac G3 contain? Probably not enough for Tiger.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Would work with firewire optical drive though.

Doesn't have a firewire port :(

How much RAM does the iMac G3 contain? Probably not enough for Tiger.

It's been upgraded to 512MB RAM over the years and supports up to 1GB if I need to go there. I believe Tiger requires 256MB?

---

I'm investigating the old iPod route, but I'm not sure if I know anyone who still has one. I'll post what I can find.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Does anyone know if it'd be possible to install over a network? I have a newer Mac and a Windows PC at my disposal.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I've got an iMac G3 and an iBook G3 - I find that OS9 runs much better than any OSX system you could put on there. Leave OSX to your modern Macs ;)

OS9 is great for classic software that you just can't run on modern Macs or OSX Macs...

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Do you have a Local Second hand mac dealer, or Mac rental place?

They maybe able to help you out with an older retail disk.
If they have a NetInstall Server up and running with the old Tiger image they could probably install it for you over Ethernet too...

Worth asking?

buckers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Do you have a Local Second hand mac dealer, or Mac rental place?

There is a little place down the road that sells Macs but it's quite new, I think. Worth a shot, I suppose.

If not, I'll see if I can get hold of a second-hand DVD online and try some things with it (USB stick, iPod, etc.).

daleycss

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2010
I also ran into this a year ago, but to no avail. I found nothing. Hopefully you can come up with something... Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.