Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diagoras

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
Recently the hard drive on my MacBook Core Duo (mid 2006) expired and I had it replaced. I knew when I gave my Tiger reinstall discs to the technician that it was a bad idea. He lost them just as I thought. So now I'm stuck with Snow Leopard, with which my printer and MathType5 software are incompatible. I'd like to get disc #1 in particular (I don't care about iWork and iTunes on disc #2). So far I have looked into getting a replacement disc from Apple, powerbookmedic.com and the guy on ebay from Coe Hill, Ontario. Apple sent me three packages, one for Leopard, one for G3-G5 laptops, and one containing nothing. (I think the guys at the SC warehouse must be drunk.) The guy at Coe Hill has only reinstall discs for Core 2 duo MacBooks. powerbookmedic.com lists the discs I need but they are out of stock. If anyone knows of another source, please let me know. If anyone has "upgraded" to Leopard or Snow Leopard and has no use for his old Tiger reinstall discs, please respond.

Bertrude

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
England
I can't help with the Tiger discs but you might not need them.

It sounds like you don't have Rosetta installed in Snow Leopard. This will allow your older PPC apps to work - I'm assuming MathType5 is such an app. Rosetta can be installed from your Snow Leopard Disc by running the 'Optional Installs' package.

There's also some extra printer drivers in the optional installs which may help you too.

I hope that helps and good luck.

Diagoras

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Bertrude.

I have Rosetta Stone Version 3 installed with Snow Leopard.

MathType5 installs using the original CD supplied by Design Science, but will not interact with Word 2011. I can buy a version that will for $50.

The printer is another matter. Fuji Xerox lists a driver on its web site that it claims will work with Snow Leopard, but I've downloaded and installed it and it gives me only error messages when I try to print anything. It looks like I'll just have to pitch the printer, which is irritating. I hate throwing out perfectly useful stuff.

Fortunately, my Lacie external drive will transfer files to the MacBook so at least I haven't lost everything. Obviously I should have arranged things so I could reboot directly from the Lacie, but I didn't know how to do that (and still don't).

Diagoras

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
printer issues with change to Tiger to Snow Leopard

I tried "upgrading" to Snow Leopard a few years ago. At that time FujiXerox didn't supply a driver for my printer (DocuPrint 203A) compatible with Snow Leopard. That has been rectified, so I don't have to throw away my printer after all. The driver is version 1.23. There was no trouble downloading and installing it, but it took me a while to have the printer accept the driver. The driver was listed under applications but when I clicked System Preferences > Print & Fax > Options and Supplies the driver listed was still 1.1. I did a couple of things--don't know which one did the trick. First I deleted and reinstalled the printer using the CD that originally came with the machine. Then I restarted the computer, and when it restarted, driver version 1.23 was listed under the above clicks. You can find the appropriate driver at http://www.fujixeroxprinters.com.au/downloads/uploaded/de204a_ug_5a1e.pdf

It appears that trying to reinstall Tiger is a hopeless project. Apple has Tiger reinstall discs for G3 through G5, but they won't work with intel MacBooks. They were sold for such a short period of time before they went to the core 2 duo that nobody carries or sells the reinstall discs. Even powerbookmedic shows no stock available.

I still have to buy a later version of MathType.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.