Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
...on my new iMac 27", is it because its not made for intel cpus? :confused:

rezatayebi

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
There's a universal version which can be installed on Intel based Macs.
However Tiger is an old OS and Apple doesnt allow us to intsall it on our new Macs. You should get an error when trying to install it.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
dvd will not boot on my iMac while it will boot on my Powerbook, i am pressing C key, am i correct?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
You cannot go back two full versions of OSX to Tiger on a new Mac.

Your mac will only be able to boot from Snow Leopard and only the version that comes on your new mac's operating discs, i.e. 10.6.3. Your iMac won't boot off 10.6.0 either.

There is no way you can boot Tiger 10.4 on a new machine and it has nothing to do with Intel vs. PPC cpus. The early intel Macs all came with Tiger.

Your machine is just too new to boot off Tiger, end of story.

There are exceptions to this rule, i.e. if you bought an intel mac that was produced through the introduction of Snow Leopard.
As an example, the mac mini's from 2009. They were introduced while Leopard 10.5 was current. Then Snow Leopard came out. The 2009 Mac Minis then shipped with Snow Leopard, but if you had system dvds from the same Mac Mini purchased a few months earlier, you could boot your newer Mac Mini that had the same CPU as an earlier one with 10.5 Leopard.

In your case, tho, Tiger is way too old to be able to be booted from your new mac.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.