Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook yesterday met the European Union's antitrust chief, Margrethe Vestager, at Apple Park amid a series of disputes between the organizations.

margrethe-vestager-and-tim-cook.jpg

The meeting focused on European competition policy and digital regulation. On X (formerly Twitter), Vestager explained that she stressed Apple's impending obligation to allow users to install third-party app stores and sideload apps under the Digital Markets Act (DMA). They also spoke about ongoing investigations involving Apple, such as a complaint raised by Spotify against Apple Music, but Vestager declined to provide more specific detail of the discussion.

Apple is facing a range of challenges in the EU, such as a $14 billion tax dispute and a potential deal to open up the iPhone's NFC technology to payment services from rival companies. Most strikingly, new EU rules such as the DMA designate major tech companies as "gatekeepers" and compel them to open up their various services and platforms to other companies and developers. The DMA is expected to force Apple to make significant changes to the way the App Store, FaceTime, and Siri work in Europe. For example, Apple will be obliged to give developers the ability to promote their offers outside the ‌‌‌App Store‌‌‌ and use third-party payment systems.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Meets EU Antitrust Chief Ahead of iPhone App Sideloading Deadline

Last edited:

ashdelacroix

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2013
We have a right to do anything with the hardware WE buy. Apple is too over-controlling over the things we can and cant do.

Whilst I agree with this to a large extent, the problem here is that the EU isn't then merely "on the side of the consumer": it is the victim of billions of euros' worth of lobbying from Google, Microsoft and many others, to help bring down Apple a peg or two.

What we are seeing is not some pro-consumer EU but an EU at the bidding of corporations that want to "open up" Apple devices: open them up to third-party services such that Messages would be forced to integrate with Facebook's WhatsApp platform and Google's RCP Android services. You'll notice this would be to the prime benefit of Facebook and Google rather than to some one-man band with a little messaging service.

Even if Messages is not singled out in this way (I'm hearing conflicting information on whether Apple is a "gatekeeper" for this purpose), then it's still important to see how this is not merely a consumer protection but a boon to other billion-dollar corporations who seek to bring down Apple, its specific culture and its secure, walled garden (a garden I suspect 95% of Apple consumers rather like).

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
jail cook if he refuses to allow sideloading worldwide.

Under what law, and explain exactly what laws apply worldwide?

Think before you post ridiculous stuff.

while I agree, if only this were true.
You never own software, it’s always a license.
Even windows, Microsoft can technically revoke your access on your PC at any time if they want to.

Then give us access to the bare hardware, without an OS. We can't get that, either, even at the end of a products lifespan/updates.

Microsoft can revoke your access to Windows, not to the computer itself. I can blow away Windows anytime I want and install another licensed copy, Linux, xBSD, whatever.

Last edited:

qCzar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
SFBA, CA
Most strikingly, new EU rules such as the DMA designate major tech companies as "gatekeepers" and compel them to open up their various services and platforms to other companies and developers.
I understand this point of view, but I don't wholly agree. Don't game developers have to pay Sony & Microsoft a fee to list games on their digital marketplaces? I can't make a game for a console and distribute it on the street, just like I can't an iOS.

The concept is the same in my head. I don't see Apple, Google, PlayStation, and Xbox as Gatekeepers to their respective marketplaces. I crossed off Google because I believe they do have third party app stores on Android?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
it’s not like apple is responsible when you download a scam app that drains your bank account

the owner has ALWAYS been the one responsible

In such a case, Apple would bear a certain amount of responsibility if that happened on a large scale.

Apple needs to make it clear that you're on your own, with the user acknowledging such, that side-loading can have adverse consequences.

It's about taking personal responsibility for your decisions/choices. I realize that's a foreign concept to many people.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
For a long time defenders of Apple have been stating that sideloading apps has the potential to be extremely problematic because apps would be hosted by a 3rd party who may not do their own checks to see if what they are hosting is legitimate or a virus/malicious app. The thing is, that could well be the case BUT the point that keeps on getting missed is when it comes to consumerism, the EU is all about customer choice, let the customer decide what is best for them, not the manufacturer. The problem the EU see's with Apple is that Apple is the one that gets to decide what is and is not good for the customer, the customer not being able to make their own choice(s).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.