Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Remco747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2023
Hi mac fans,

Does anyone know how to clear/reset/decommission an older Time Capsule (2TB). I am not using the airport wifi option anymore and I am now backing up to a new external drive. Now I want to disconnect it from my network and completely and securely wipe it, before disposing of it.

I can't use Disk Utility because the Time Capsule does not show up in the list of drives. So, how to do it then?

Thank you
Remco

Remco747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2023
You can use AirPort Utility on the Mac to wipe the Time Capsule and reset it: https://support.apple.com/guide/aputility/erase-an-airport-time-capsule-ap20913/mac#:~:text=Open the AirPort Utility app,folder in the Applications folder.&text=In the graphical overview, select,Disks, then click Erase Disk.

If you can, please try to sell or give the Time Capsule to someone or at least recycle it responsibly! They're still worth some money on eBay.
Thank you, that is what I was looking for.
I will try to sell the Time Capsule or give it away or bring it back to Apple store.

Reactions: Slix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.