Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I am one of those few people who still has not created a Facebook account.

I have now finished school and although I'm going to university this September I will ultimately be looking for jobs, placements, internships etc in the near future.

The reason I have not got Facebook yet this because I haven't needed to, when Facebook became 'the thing' my life continued functioning and I felt no need at the time to sign up.

You hear a lot about employers researching job candidates using Facebook and the likes these days and I was wondering if it might actually be worse not having a profile than having one. ( might look like I had at questionable page and deactivated it)

Any suggestions? think I'm almost at the point where I might just set one up.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No. Employers or potential employers aren't exactly looking for you on FB because they want to know more about you. If they're there they're trying to build a character profile of you based on FB which I find to be wrong. If you don't have it now don't make future employment the reason for you signing up.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
No. Employers or potential employers aren't exactly looking for you on FB because they want to know more about you. If they're there they're trying to build a character profile of you based on FB which I find to be wrong. If you don't have it now don't make future employment the reason for you signing up.

you don't think it looks like I had a Facebook account and deactivated it? Or maybe that question should be you don't think they well think it looks like I had an account and deactivated it?

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
First of all: I would like to point out that I'm not the one that downvoted this thread without saying anything, that's a bit lame... With that said - it does seem like a pretty pointless question since the answer is obvious. If you think you will need an account there - get one. I don't really understand why you need more input in this than your own. :)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Typically FB is a reason to exclude a job candidate, not enhance your status

If you have no need for it, then don't bother
Some find it a useful way to keep up with family and friends
Others make some very poor choices with it

If you are looking to create a professional presence, you might consider opting for LinkedIn instead

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
First of all: I would like to point out that I'm not the one that downvoted this thread without saying anything, that's a bit lame... With that said - it does seem like a pretty pointless question since the answer is obvious. If you think you will need an account there - get one. I don't really understand why you need more input in this than your own. :)

just wanted to see what other people thought, seeing as I (only being 17) have never hired anybody or applied for a higher profile job have limited experience.

----------

Typically FB is a reason to exclude a job candidate, not enhance your status...

surely you can't be excluded just because you have a Facebook profile? wouldn't it be down to what your Facebook profile consisted of?

Nobody has answered my main question about it looking like I did have a profile then deactivated it.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
you don't think it looks like I had a Facebook account and deactivated it? Or maybe that question should be you don't think they well think it looks like I had an account and deactivated it?

They might doubt it, given your age, but in the end they would be forced to accept your word.

I haven't joined, and if I were you I wouldn't either. On the other hand, if you feel it might be used somewhat like an "old boy's network" then go ahead.

But be very, very careful how you use it.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
The day an employer tries to use my FB account, is the day I won't have an account.

----------

surely you can't be excluded just because you have a Facebook profile? wouldn't it be down to what your Facebook profile consisted of?

Nobody has answered my main question about it looking like I did have a profile then deactivated it.

What he was referring to is if they're something there, they can terminate or not hire you. If you don't have an account, there's nothing for them to look at.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
The day an employer tries to use my FB account, is the day I won't have an account.

do you mean you don't think employers have researched you on Facebook?

----------

What he was referring to is if they're something there, they can terminate or not hire you. If you don't have an account, there's nothing for them to look at.

I don't know anyone else without Facebook. So when I apply for a job ( against other people of a similar age) isn't that going to look a bit odd?

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
They might doubt it, given your age...

surely that would be a bad thing? don't really want to start off a period of employment with them doubting you?

----------

And you might be teased "grandpa" by your coworkers :D

there is an element of truth in that! when you say you don't have Facebook people look at you as if you're from another planet! and normally assume it's down to over controlling parents...

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

Yes, it would be a consideration of what is on your profile
Drunk pics, posts about employers, illegal activities, attitude and general behavior

Typically an employer would use such to exclude a candidate
Having a FB account with a clean profile doesn't necessarily help you
But having one that is messy and embarrassing can definitely be a downside

Having them wonder if you deleted it is less of an issue as far as I can tell
At that point, they need to rely on what they have, not what they don't have

If you decide to have one, I wouldn't necessarily say to tip toe around it
But do make good decisions with it and make sure your friends do as well in the things they post
I have had to delete a few things off my wall that were inappropriate

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Having them wonder if you deleted it is less of an issue as far as I can tell
At that point, they need to rely on what they have, not what they don't have

do we know this for a fact? wouldn't want to be the one who finds out this is not the case.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
do you mean you don't think employers have researched you on Facebook?

----------

I don't know anyone else without Facebook. So when I apply for a job ( against other people of a similar age) isn't that going to look a bit odd?

They can't see much, if they did, since I only allow friends to see my page. However, I've heard of them asking for your password. If that ever happened, I wouldn't have an account. I've actually been considering deleting it anyway, since most of the people I talk to, I talk to in real life, so what's the point?

If you don't have FB, I suggest you don't get it just to get a job. That's silly. I only got it, because a number of family members were using it. However, now it's just being used as a means to not communicate in real life ("Happy Birthday" on FB just lacks the punch of actually calling and talking to someone).

May 8, 2008
You may find it harder to socialize with future coworkers that are your age.

I have a policy of not adding anyone I work with until they or I leave the position. I recently left my job and added two people who I had gotten along with pretty well during my time there. In skimming their profiles I found items that, IMO, would have been nice to have known or have been apart of while I was still there.

Did if affect my job performance? No, of course not. Did it affect my ability to socialize and relate on another level with my coworkers? In retrospect I think so. Could it have lead to other possibilities when working with my coworkers? Perhaps.

EDIT:

Personally, I don't see a problem with having a basic FB account with a couple generic items tossed in just for appearances sake. Like favorite movies, music, tv shows etc... That's all I really have on mine. I've left anything that could create animosity blank, like political leaning(s), religious beliefs, etc...

Last edited:

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
They can't see much, if they did, since I only allow friends to see my page. However, I've heard of them asking for your password. If that ever happened, I wouldn't have an account. I've actually been considering deleting it anyway, since most of the people I talk to, I talk to in real life, so what's the point?

If you don't have FB, I suggest you don't get it just to get a job. That's silly. I only got it, because a number of family members were using it. However, now it's just being used as a means to not communicate in real life ("Happy Birthday" on FB just lacks the punch of actually calling and talking to someone).

this is all true.

you could say that the reason I'm thinking about getting is to ensure that I don't raise suspicion. I think someone my age the Facebook page is going to raise suspicion.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
You may find it harder to socialize with future coworkers that are your age.

quite possible, I didn't think about that.

I have a policy of not adding anyone I work with until they or I leave the position. I recently left my job and added two people who I had gotten along with pretty well during my time there. In skimming their profiles I found items that, IMO, would have been nice to have known or have been apart of while I was still there.

so you would say that not adding people you worked with was a mistake That you made?

----------

Then you have answered your own question

an answer that was responding to and formulated from previous posts.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Get Facebook. It's not going away at any time in the near future, and you'll want to add people you meet at uni, since that's how lots of invitations to parties, social events, uni club events, and other events are sent nowadays.

People who resist just for the sake of resisting are just as lame as people who try very hard to go against the grain. Some people avoid FB because they think it makes them "cooler". Nowadays, everyone seems to want others to see him/herself as unique. Meh. I can see why some people would not want or need it, but just slow down and take things in stride. There doesn't need to be a profound reason or need to sign up, or to explain why you have an account. :confused:

And as for employment, I doubt you'll be ASKED for your FB name by a future/potential employer. I don't use my complete name on FaceBook, so I highly doubt my co-workers could find me if they wanted to.

And I'm with NathanMuir. I don't add people from work onto my Facebook. I would ONLY add a co-worker after he/she has left the company, or I leave. There's little for me to gain by adding them, and it could only get me into trouble. You may choose to befriend a single co-worker, but that co-worker may be friends with LOTS of people at work. You never know. If you post something questionable on THEIR wall, a person that you don't want to see the message may see it anyway.

Last edited:

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Get Facebook. It's not going away at any time in the near future, and you'll want to add people you meet at uni, since that's how lots of invitations to parties, social events, uni club events, and other events are sent nowadays.

another good point. quite possible I will almost have to get it for this.

May 8, 2008
so you would say that not adding people you worked with was a mistake That you made?

It's just all the little bits of information that I would have known would have possibly made relating and working as a team a bit easier in the beginning when we were all getting to know each other. It was nothing that wasn't learned over the normal time period of working with someone for 50~ hours a week.

And I agree with Abstract, that's one the main reasons I keep my FB. I would literally have no other way of finding out/ getting invited to a majority of social events.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I wish I never had a Facebook account and after so many years, Facebook hasn't do anything to improve my career. In other words... if you do not have a FB account, consider yourself a healthy individual.

Actually, not having FB would men you spend more time socializing in the real world rather than wasting in in a computer in leisure.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
well thank you all very much for your input, despite some of you saying that it is a decision I should be making alone I have found your suggestions all very useful. It's looking like I'm going to need to sign up some point regardless.

Thanks, [resolved]

----------

I wish I never had a Facebook account and after so many years, Facebook hasn't do anything to improve my career. In other words... if you do not have a FB account, consider yourself a healthy individual.

Actually, not having FB would men you spend more time socializing in the real world rather than wasting in in a computer in leisure.

I'm not expecting Facebook to improve my career, just accounting for the possibility that the lack of a Facebook presence might have.

That aside other points raised about organisation and invitations are all valid.

Thanks, Charlie.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Not sure what field you will be going into but having networked with business professionals and attended various workshops and events, it's better to have a Facebook than not but to keep it clean.

Also I'm not sure how you've gone through highschool with it, it's the easiest way to organize parties. I've been in university for 3 years now and have deleted Facebook for 6 months before but found it useful after turning it back on as a lot of school clubs and societies use it to set up events and have discussions.

Facebook also makes it easy to connect with people and share photos and videos. I'd say it's worth getting, but don't get sucked in - it's pointless to spend more than a few minutes a day on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.