Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterButler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Hi everyone,

I posted this originally in the OS forum but I was advised by user Pastrychef to post it here. He kindly gave me some advice on what could be wrong but so far I still have't had any luck in getting this to work so I thought I'd post again here.

I've been using a Titan X (Non EFI version) since early this year without any issues other than having to put my Nvidia 670 in whenever there was an upgrade to El Capitan. But once the new Nvidia drivers were installed I could put my Titan back in and it would work fine.

However since upgrading to Sierra I now just get a black screen. I've even done a clean re-install and still have the same issue. The fan works on the card and it lights up so I'm hoping that it is a driver related issue.

As far as I know I have the latest drivers and the latest install of Sierra. Below are the details
Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 12.59.10.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 12.59.45.png

I've tried adding a Kernel to the com.apple.boot.Plist as advised by Macvidcards in his Blog to get the system to boot using the Nvidia driver.

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 14.07.26.png

And as far as I can tell the system seems to be using the drivers even though the Nvidia panel shows the default OSX drivers to be selected.

So correct me if I'm wrong but to check that the drivers are being used I go to my About This Mac system report Extensions and then the section that says NVDAStartupWeb

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 14.05.24.png

So as far as I can tell I've done everything I can to get this to work and yet I still haven't had any success.

So if any of you experts could help it would really be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
How about keep SIP disabled?

Anyway, your screen capture clearly shows that the web driver is not loaded.

Pending

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Peter,
In the extension list you posted the loaded column for your selection says 'No'.
Are you having trouble selecting NVIDIA Web Driver from the desktop pull down menu at the top right?

PeterButler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Thanks for the replies

Hp82: I haven't tried loading it with SIP disabled. I'll give it a go.

Pending: Wow can't believe I didn't see no to loaded, I think it's because I saw the yes for loadable.I don't have trouble selecting the Nvidia option but it then says restart the computer, which then resets it back to the default OSX driver.
So if my driver isn't loading, how do I activate it?

Hi Pastrychef, good to see you again. I did do a PRAM reset, that's holding P R and CMD and option key on start up right?
I've done this a few times but it doesn't make a difference.

Thanks again for the great support.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
emm if you re-enabled sip then :/ it wont work

im fairly shore you have to keep it off

but i may be wrong

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
ah ok

you always have the option of just downgrading your OS, not ideal but you know it works

PeterButler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
HURRAY!

Thanks guys, finally sorted. It was because when I installed the driver I was using my original ATI card and I've just read that the drivers won't activate unless an Nvidia card is present.
So I put my 670 in and re-installed the latest driver and it worked.

I think it really helped knowing that the driver wasn't actually activating.

However saying all that, I'm sure originally I did install the drivers with my 670 installed as that's my usual procedure. I only ended up using the ATI card out of frustration. But I think I've gone around in circles so much now that when I did a clean install I just used the ATI card instead.

So to sum up I think it's the clean install that probably fixed any issues but of course I was then installing the Nvidia drivers using the ATI card, thus running into the same issues.

Anyway all working now so once again thanks for all the help and support, you're all awesome!

Peter

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2016
HURRAY!

Thanks guys, finally sorted. It was because when I installed the driver I was using my original ATI card and I've just read that the drivers won't activate unless an Nvidia card is present.
So I put my 670 in and re-installed the latest driver and it worked.

I think it really helped knowing that the driver wasn't actually activating.

However saying all that, I'm sure originally I did install the drivers with my 670 installed as that's my usual procedure. I only ended up using the ATI card out of frustration. But I think I've gone around in circles so much now that when I did a clean install I just used the ATI card instead.

So to sum up I think it's the clean install that probably fixed any issues but of course I was then installing the Nvidia drivers using the ATI card, thus running into the same issues.

Anyway all working now so once again thanks for all the help and support, you're all awesome!

Peter

Reading this lead me to check the same and I find mine is not loaded either. This is on a clean install with the TITAN X in the machine the whole time.

But the nvidia system pref shows the nvidia driver selected. So what's going on here? kext says not loaded, system pref says it is.
screenshot.png
screenshot 1.png

Hdalio

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2019
Guys, I also got a TITAN X,
I did the scheme to connect her in the sata power and the minis 6 pin.
But the screen goes black!
I access macpro via sharescreen with my macbook, so I updated the system to the latest version of (El Captain) and downloaded the latest updated driver for that one, but it still does not work!
I saw you ask to turn off PRam and SIP, but I do not know what these two things mean! heheh could someone help me, I'll pass the screens here for you to see!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 18.33.37.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 18.33.37.png
    384.5 KB · Views: 292
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 18.33.27.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 18.33.27.png
    374.8 KB · Views: 251
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 18.33.11.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 18.33.11.png
    316.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 18.32.28.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 18.32.28.png
    299.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 18.32.13.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 18.32.13.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 298

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
looks like the driver is not corectly instaled from last screenshot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.