Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Federico87

Suspended
Original poster
May 2, 2016
Sounds like your torn between the two.

Considering you are not in any desperate need to make a decision, maybe you can wait until the updated MBP's are released. Then compare the two and make an informed decision.
I wish I was in the US ;)

It's not that easy to get this kind of purchasing policy here in Europe

ViktorEvil

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
England
I have been using my MB everyday now for about 3 weeks.

Coming from a quad core MBP 2.6i7 16gb Ram Nvidia graphics card etc I was similarly sceptical about performance on a daily basis, but was drawn to the lightweight portable design as more and more of my work is done on the move.

I use it everyday professionally for Unity app development, Xcode software development, Dreamweaver web development, Photoshop image editing, Modo 3d modelling, ZBrush 3d modelling, Sculptris 3d modeling and tons of other things besides and the MB excels in every task I give it.

Worrying about performance really is a non issue - which in itself is amazing.

Obviously as time goes on, you mention 5 years, hardware will get better and things move on to the next great thing.
So committing to something now expecting it to still be great in half a decade is foolhardy.

I felt your major concern was the price. If you are considering buying the MB on 5 year finance then don't! Buy something more in your budget, work hard and then buy the MB down the line if necessary. It is always horrible to hear stories of people over stretch themselves for desirable kit they really can't afford and then have to sell to dodgy people for less than they paid for it to cover debts.

If I have made a misjudgement and money is no issue then go for it. You won't be disappointed by performance versus the portability this little machine gives you.

What spec is your rMB? Looking to get one for unity and blender iOS app development. Do you use an external monitor? Cheers

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England
What spec is your rMB? Looking to get one for unity and blender iOS app development. Do you use an external monitor? Cheers

I have a MB 1.2 M5 512.

Currently using Unity 3.4 beta for Retina resolution editor which works really great (still a few bugs but meant to be complete sometime June). Along side Unity 4.6 and Unity 5.3.

Blender works fine.

I don't use an external monitor. Never have done. Never needed to.

Make sure you use the 'More Space' option. And set your web browser to 125% zoom. Good balance between space and readability.

Don't forget to get the USB-C to USB or AV multi port adaptor (charges as well) to connect to your iOS devices.

The MB works great. Currently creating a few adventure games with Unity and enjoying every moment as I am more productive having my development studio on me at all times.

ViktorEvil

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
England
I have a MB 1.2 M5 512.

Currently using Unity 3.4 beta for Retina resolution editor which works really great (still a few bugs but meant to be complete sometime June). Along side Unity 4.6 and Unity 5.3.

Blender works fine.

I don't use an external monitor. Never have done. Never needed to.

Make sure you use the 'More Space' option. And set your web browser to 125% zoom. Good balance between space and readability.

Don't forget to get the USB-C to USB or AV multi port adaptor (charges as well) to connect to your iOS devices.

The MB works great. Currently creating a few adventure games with Unity and enjoying every moment as I am more productive having my development studio on me at all times.

Thanks, I sold my 2012 rMBP before Christmas in anticipation of Skylake rMBP's (stupid I know) and I have been stuck using a Surface Pro 3 i3 4GB since then for Unity and blender. It runs OK for what it is but Windows 10 is not a patch on OSX and I can't wait to get rid of it.

I'll wait until WWDC and see what is released. I have had my eye on a rMB as I really like the form factor (used to have an 11" Air and loved it) but I was worried about it being my machine for the next 2/3 years and coping OK with the software I use.

Reactions: grahamperrin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.