Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VisualStress

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2024
So after the forth year of disappointment with the OLED iPhones due to the low PWM rates, I've got to face upto a change to Android.

I've tasted the rainbow of faster phones with stunning camera's (which then had to be returned because they caused me to have eye fatigued migraines) so my ageing iphone 7 plus isn't cutting it anymore. I don't want to switch but find I can't use any of the new iPhones, this includes the XR and 11 (something weird with these displays, temporal dithering maybe)? Perhaps a change will be good after 10yrs.....🤦‍♂️

So what flagship android phones don't suffer the plague of PWM? Not seeing any flagship LCD phones on the market as the manafactuers are clearly pushing OLED (which all apear to have low PWM rates, thanks Samsung). I'm aware some companies are including DC dimming like OnePlus but I read this dims the brightness, mutes colours and crushes blacks so this doesn't appeal.

Can anyone make some recommendations please, maybe we can get a list of flagships to help the PWM sufferers like me?

Need to haves:
Stereo speakers

Thanks in advance.
Hey I'm in the same boat as you. What phone are you currently using now without any symptoms ? XR and 11 for example are HORRIBLE for me.

Reactions: cgolca

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Hey I'm in the same boat as you. What phone are you currently using now without any symptoms ? XR and 11 for example are HORRIBLE for me.
My 7 Plus died so I was forced onto the 11 and have been for over a year with no issues (SE is too small). I've stuck on 16.7.2 as sensitive users have reported that iOS 17 has introduced eye strain to LCD devices and you can't roll back. The only iPad I can use is the 9 (not tried iPad 10 though).

What device are you using now then?

VisualStress

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2024
My 7 Plus died so I was forced onto the 11 and have been for over a year with no issues (SE is too small). I've stuck on 16.7.2 as sensitive users have reported that iOS 17 has introduced eye strain to LCD devices and you can't roll back. The only iPad I can use is the 9 (not tried iPad 10 though).

What device are you using now then?
Unfortunately the iPhone 11, xr, se 2020 we're all bad for me even on iOS 16. Not sure if you know this but reduce whitepoint, night shift and dark mode causes more pixel color flicker (dither)

I'm currently using the Xiaomi 13T (non Leica model) which is WAY better than any of the iPhones but still not perfect at all.

Reactions: jimmy_uk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.