Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opeepingtomo

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
all i'm asking for is something like this ... basically allowing devs to use the not center

so i can turn of the damn rotation lock the easy way as well as bluetooth etc
and unlimited apps in one folder, the most annoying thing of all

THIS is one of the main things I would like to see as well as adding a flashlight shortcut to the lock screen just like they did with the camera. It is annoying to have to go to your settings icon, open settings, go into the menu you need, when you are then in the sub-menu, you can finally turn wireless off. Why not just swipe down from ANY screen and turn off or on whatever function you want to.)

Live Icons

More use of the Notification Center

Allow me to arrange my icons on the screen like I want them. Why can't i put only 4 icons centered in the middle of the screen without jailbreaking? That is ridiculous.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Things I do now via jailbreak:

Themes (and subsequent access or theme directories)
Place icons where ever I want.
Kill all apps at once.
Lock screen widgets.

I also have sbs settings, but don't have a lot of need to quickly get to wifi/Bluetooth settings.

Truth be told, with the iPad and introduction of the iPad mini, innovation for the iPhone is probably behind us.

opeepingtomo

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Things I do now via jailbreak:

Themes (and subsequent access or theme directories)
Place icons where ever I want.
Kill all apps at once.
Lock screen widgets.

I also have sbs settings, but don't have a lot of need to quickly get to wifi/Bluetooth settings.

Truth be told, with the iPad and introduction of the iPad mini, innovation for the iPhone is probably behind us.

I actually meant to say kill all apps at once as well

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I'm pretty happy with ios6 so far. I enjoy the iPhone 5 having more ram available! This makes a huge difference to me. On my ipad 2, every time I switch apps it has to reload everything from scratch because its out of ram. This doesn't happen hardly at all with the 5. But, things I'd like to see:

A new fresh look at widgets that are different from android's.
Siri to be out of beta and be the super power of the phone.
Live icons would be cool, also.
Better management of EXACTLY what the 'other' data is when you look at your phone's memory in iTunes. I hate using 4.5gb of my phone as other and don't know exactly what it is.

That's is for me. Not asking for too much. :)

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
There is a clear problem that I think Apple failed to address in iOS 6, and it really disappointed me, (I'm not one who is often disappointed by apple). That is the lack of improvement on quick glance information, you look at a Windows phone homescreen, and you can see your recent messages, weather, sports scores ect through the Live Tiles. Android solves this by letting you put widgets on your homescreen, giving you the ability to just glance and know the information that is important to you. Apple's closest thing to this is notification center, but that still doesn't solve the problem of the quick glance on the go user.

I think Apple could do a few things to alleviate this problem, without completely stepping on the toes of their competitors:

I want Notification Icons. Sorta like Windows live tiles but a little less. Running through apple's notification service I want developers to be able to update icons relevant to the status of the application. The most obvious example of this would be apple's own weather icon which could show the actual weather. but also things like photo/video uploads could have status bars, sports apps could have the current scores of your favorite team, and stuff like that. Obviously this could be turned on and off on an app by app basis in the notification settings, just like any aspect of notifications.

I also would love to see custom notification banners. Like Apple has implemented with their iOS 6 maps GPS where the notification banner looks like a road sign. developers should have the ability to customize the look and feel of their notification banners, it would give a better, more integrated experience to the user.

I also saw someone else say something about opening Quick Reply through notifications similar to the Facebook/twitter share popup. I think that would be a great feature, if I got a message on skype and I just want to respond quickly, I shouldn't have to switch to the whole app to do it.

And I do think like many others have said here notification widgets should be given to developers to make their own. I would love for my TiVo app to let me have a little row of TV remote controls from within notification center so I would't have to switch apps just to fastforward on my TV.

Last edited:

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Contacts

I want to be able to rearrange and re-organize the list order of a given contact's phone numbers and email addresses, so that as contact numbers and email addresses change, one can easily add it to the top of the list without needing to use a lot of inconvenient copy/paste trickery.

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
A native file system is desperately needed. The current lack thereof really inhibits my ability to use the iPad as a work tool.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
A native file system is desperately needed. The current lack thereof really inhibits my ability to use the iPad as a work tool.

Dropbox works fine for me, but I have a hard time understanding why Apple doesn't offer their own version with icloud. Would integrate well and seems like it would be a cash machine for them.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
My wife is due a phone upgrade soon and she is thinking of windows phone 8 or android because she thinks that ios is too familiar and boring now.
I myself will be purchasing the next console from microsoft and if streaming and other things work really well with windows phone 8 then I will be jumping ship also.
ios is just far to boring to me at the moment.
Apple really need to change it up a lot.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Defiantly an updated feel...everyone is busy trying out new stuff, improving their products, taking chances while Apple seems to be just sitting around, be careful not to overstep.

Multitasking sucks on iPhone.
-Clear all apps button
-better way instead of double tapping

Notification Center isn't implemented well.
-should be more like OS X ML
-tons of other stuff to make it usable

FaceTime needs group chat

Widgets, live icons

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
You want the realistic features. Here is iOS7.
1. Make iPhone 4/4s slow as hell
2. New exclusive feature for iPhone5S
3. Another never-used app like Newsstand & Passbook
4. New wallpaper
5. Tons of cool new feature with little asterisk
6. Siri can burp

surfer17

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Canada
You want the realistic features. Here is iOS7.
1. Make iPhone 4/4s slow as hell
2. New exclusive feature for iPhone5S
3. Another never-used app like Newsstand & Passbook
4. New wallpaper
5. Tons of cool new feature with little asterisk
6. Siri can burp

Stop trolling man.

Passbook, a never used app? I use it every week. It is a really convenient app to have with never having to carry physical cards for which a 'pass' is available.

surfer17

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Canada
About changes for iOS 7:

1) Notification center can be made a whole lot better. Android's got a leg up on iOS when it comes to the Notification Center. Especially in this case as people would actually use it a lot more if it were implemented as it is in Android.

2) Make the App Store smoother. It's really a performance improvement, but one that is necessary. I don't know if its just me, but the App Store in iOS 6 seems sluggish to navigate on my iPhone 5.

3) Live wallpaper, live icons (for weather) would be a nice addition as long as it's not at the expense of the battery life. Which will most likely be the case. This is actually a feature they could bring exclusively to the iPhone 5S or whatever the next iteration will be called. Reason being, they could have a better battery on the next iteration of the phone and support this reasonably well.

4) There will be a bunch of small features too. You'd generally expect Apple to come up with "200+" feature on the next version of iOS too. And hopefully they come up with features like Killing all apps at once, swype like keyboard input method, some of the features which you can get by jailbreaking your iPhone, etc.

To be honest, I am pretty satisfied with the current feature set of iOS. As long as they have it stable and bug-free. It's not an easy task but doable by Apple's standards.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Stop trolling man.

Passbook, a never used app? I use it every week. It is a really convenient app to have with never having to carry physical cards for which a 'pass' is available.

I think he makes so fair points TBH. That's pretty much been Apples strategy for some time. If Apple don't make some serious innovation the competition will be lightyears ahead in a couple of years. Don't get me wrong, I love iOS; It's lovely to use and rock solid, but it's crying out for improvement in so many obvious areas. Like that stupid Spotlight search screen.

My hope is that now Scott Forstall is departing Jony Ives will pick up the pace. Ives has made it clear that he does not like leather stitching.

Have a look at this: http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/01/resi...ows-phone-8/?post=1&icid=tuaw_home_latest_art

Apple should hire that guy, as well as the guy behind the concept I linked to further back.

allistera

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
About changes for iOS 7:

4) There will be a bunch of small features too. You'd generally expect Apple to come up with "200+" feature on the next version of iOS too. And hopefully they come up with features like Killing all apps at once, swype like keyboard input method, some of the features which you can get by jailbreaking your iPhone, etc.
Please don't. These apps aren't running in the background. http://daringfireball.net/2012/01/ios_multitasking

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I think dynamic badges will be a killer feature for me.

Rather than going in the app and doing whatever to get rid of the badge number you can just do a gesture to the app that brings up the notification badge feed up like the way the folder pops up and you can dismiss the badges, quick read, or click it to go into that specific notification badge.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Here's a big one

Alarm -> launch app.

I want a Pandora alarm clock.

Right now, I have a Chumby to serve that purpose, but seeing as how they've apparently gone kaput, I wonder how much longer it's going to keep working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.