Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zc456

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
While its great to see a couple of high-end apps on the iPad, I unfortunately see those as a bit niche for the average or even super-user of the device.
That's really the biggest issue. The majority of the runtime targets the smallest of small percentage of users. With the way it's presented, it honestly could have been merged into a proper Macworld-style Expo or WWDC, considering how often they brag about AI, instead of an overproduced standalone event.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
How is this mid release? Major design change, camera position change, introduction of a new chip, new accessories, new size for Air, what makes this mid release?
Apple short cheated the new M2 iPad Air models stuck with a Magic Keyboard without function row keys. The Magic Keyboard for the new iPad Pro models offers that, even the older 10th gen iPad has the Magic Keyboard Folio
with function row keys. :oops:

Have a look

Reactions: Steves Padawan

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
Apple short cheated the new M2 iPad Air models stuck with a Magic Keyboard without function row keys. The Magic Keyboard for the new iPad Pro models offers that, even the older 10th gen iPad has the Magic Keyboard Folio
with function row keys. :oops:

Have a look
I understand that, and it is definitely an “oddity” that iPad and iPad Pro have function row and iPad Air (which can be had in 13”) does not, but I still don’t think that makes this a mid cycle release with the complete redesign on iPad Pro and even with the camera moved the Air is redesigned as well

Reactions: Tagbert

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I understand that, and it is definitely an “oddity” that iPad and iPad Pro have function row and iPad Air (which can be had in 13”) does not, but I still don’t think that makes this a mid cycle release with the complete redesign on iPad Pro and even with the camera moved the Air is redesigned as well
reference

The M2 iPad Airs aren't that much different from the previous models. Cameras really hasn't changed (front and back). The 2024 airs can work with the Pencil Pro. WiFi 6e vs wifi 6. M2 vs M1. Storage with 2024 is better with 128 GB min. Outside the addition of a 13" model its a very moderate updating for iPad Airs this year.

Steves Padawan

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2023
Do you remember time 2013
first iPad Air with new chip and slim body….499€, now from 699€ with old M2

iPad Pro from 1199€ without nanoglass, better glass only in 1tb - 2059€ what a madness is this to pay extra for new feature which was supposed to be in basic pro

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Hopefully next time around the iPad Air will get a better keyboard and ALL the iPads should get FaceID. The next iPhone SE is rumoured to get FaceID too and then all the iPhones will have it.

As people get older the skin on their fingers changes and TouchID becomes less reliable, for example. In any case FaceID is superior, why do you have to buy an iPad Pro if you want FaceID ?

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Or talk themselves out of FOMO, internal struggle of wanting to upgrade for FOMo and not able to afford needs justification by thrashing a product.
Those are the same ones who buy a new whatever and the next week the a newer version comes out. They are outraged that they weren’t personally contacted by the manufacturer and told to hold off their purchase until the new model comes out. They demand a full refund or a no cost trade in.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
reference

The M2 iPad Airs aren't that much different from the previous models. Cameras really hasn't changed (front and back). The 2024 airs can work with the Pencil Pro. WiFi 6e vs wifi 6. M2 vs M1. Storage with 2024 is better with 128 GB min. Outside the addition of a 13" model its a very moderate updating for iPad Airs this year.
Yeah I get what you're saying, the Air is more iterative than the Pro for sure, but even moving the camera and adding the 13" is also, to me at least, still a bit more than iterative. I guess to me iterative is basically an identical device with spec changes, which to me neither of these are, the Air more so, but the Pro to me not at all.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.