Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Hi All,

It is time to start discussing our next Fortnightly Challenge topic. Post your suggestions and please remember to vote as well.

John

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
My few to start things off.

Colorful

Musical

Post your ideas. We have a lot of time for discussion thanks to John.

When we have a good pool of ideas, start to second your choices for the next topic.

Dale

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I can be good with anything. I am, however, very intrigued by cancelation and unnatural, and Beauty in the ugly from the last topic discussion.

On a slightly different note: I think the C&C part of this forum fell off during the last topic. I would love to see it pick up again.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
I like unnatural. I'm not sure I understand cancelation at this point. I've been reading about Lomography recently. It might be difficult to replicate completely with a DSLR but some of the characteristics might work. If we describe lomography as candid, spontaneous, quirky, questionable exposure, a little blurry or alternative post processing then it could be interesting to see what comes of it with a DSLR and post processing. Any way, that's my suggestion.

And yes, on my next Amazon.com purchase I plan on picking up a Holga or a Diana and some film to try them out. I think they would make for some cool B&W climbing photos. They are dirt cheap so why not?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I like unnatural. I'm not sure I understand cancelation at this point. I've been reading about Lomography recently. It might be difficult to replicate completely with a DSLR but some of the characteristics might work. If we describe lomography as candid, spontaneous, quirky, questionable exposure, a little blurry or alternative post processing then it could be interesting to see what comes of it with a DSLR and post processing. Any way, that's my suggestion.

I quite like this Lomography idea.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
The Lomo idea is a good shout! I actually have a Lomo camera so hopefully should have something of interest!

On a slightly different note: I think the C&C part of this forum fell off during the last topic. I would love to see it pick up again.

I feel this too. In a sort of weird way it seems all the really good pictures get critiqued whilst the less good pictures (the category of photo's I normally take) just get forgotten!

Is there anyway we could incorporate a flickr-esque comment on the photo above so everyone gets some feedback? I know this isn't the photo contest but the best bit about that is just getting at least a line on your photo even though you may have not had a chance of winning!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I had never heard of Lomography, so I looked it up and found this much on Wikipedia: "Lomography emphasizes casual, snapshot photography." I stopped reading at that point, sorry. It seems to define the polar opposite of a "challenge."

A number of good topics have already been presented, along with some that have appeared in past weekly contests (light, transportation). I think I'd rather not see those as challenge topics because I fear we'll get a rehash of past contest entries. I'd rather see a challenge where people avoid posting shots they've posted previously anywhere else on the photography forum.

I'll second colorful, twilight, and silhouette. They seem to offer a good balance between the general and the specific.

Oh, and Dale: your new avatar is intriguing. Si pustil srce v Ljubljani?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I had never heard of Lomography, so I looked it up and found this much on Wikipedia: "Lomography emphasizes casual, snapshot photography." I stopped reading at that point, sorry. It seems to define the polar opposite of a "challenge."

I think you should have read further...

Lomography (LOMO) is the term for an approach to photography that emphasizes casual snapshots, sponteneity, ubiquity, randomness, and close-ups, rather than being concerned with the technicalities, aesthetics, and the conventional world of photography.

Surely this presents a challenge? Maybe a chance for a fortnight to be out of your comfort zone and go for a picture different from what you are used to.

I agree that a lackluster approach can result in a boring challenge but if executed correctly I think we could see some very interesting shots?

So will you rethink your post?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I at first didn't find the idea of Lomography much of a challenge - casual snapshots - hmmmmm!

After a while I realised that there would be a hell of a challenge in getting a casual snapshot that looked both casual and good.

It's a bit more of a challenge than postcards.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I think you should have read further...

Lomography (LOMO) is the term for an approach to photography that emphasizes casual snapshots, sponteneity, ubiquity, randomness, and close-ups, rather than being concerned with the technicalities, aesthetics, and the conventional world of photography.

Surely this presents a challenge? Maybe a chance for a fortnight to be out of your comfort zone and go for a picture different from what you are used to.

I agree that a lackluster approach can result in a boring challenge but if executed correctly I think we could see some very interesting shots?

So will you rethink your post?

I also found this much on the LomoArtProject site:

Rule 1: Take your LOMO with you wherever you go

Rule 2: Use it all the time, at any time - day & night

Rule 3: Lomography does not interfere with your life, it's a part of it

Rule 4: Get as close as possible to the objects of your lomographic desire

Rule 5: Don't think (William Firebrace)

Rule 6: Be fast

Rule 8: You don't have to know what's on the film afterwards either

Rule 9: Shoot from the hip

Rule 10: Don't worry about rules

I can appreciate this kind of photography only if the end product later meets with serious scrutiny of its aesthetic and conceptual merits (firstly by the photographer himself). Otherwise, it becomes yet another art movement that claims exemption from critique, and I'm not a fan of those movements.

To put it another way, it's not the means, but the end that concerns me. I really don't care how you go about capturing a compelling image, so long as you take responsibility for having chosen it for display afterwards. If exponents of lomography are not "concerned with aesthetics" when reviewing their results, then there is nothing to critique. It's therefore a pointless exercise for a fortnightly challenge.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

A number of good topics have already been presented, along with some that have appeared in past weekly contests (light, transportation). I think I'd rather not see those as challenge topics because I fear we'll get a rehash of past contest entries. I'd rather see a challenge where people avoid posting shots they've posted previously anywhere else on the photography forum.

I'll second colorful, twilight, and silhouette. They seem to offer a good balance between the general and the specific.

Oh, and Dale: your new avatar is intriguing. Si pustil srce v Ljubljani?

I agree with the above concerns regarding lomo, but will go with the flow. I could find it hard to critique something that is inherently "shoot from the hip".

Regarding my current avatar, I'm surprised how quickly you noticed. A tribute to the intelligence and attention to details you have.

I looked Slovenia up quite a while ago after falling in love with those fantastic photos you shared with us. The shields for the state of Slovenia and the capital, described as a center for art and culture, intrigued me. I really liked the dragon guarding the castle and decided to use it for a while before I go back to my personal logo, the trillium. I also wanted to wink at you or something. I have a playful sense of humor and I hope I put a smile on your face.

As for my language skills, well I know some English and enough Spanish to get myself in trouble. I hold Europeans and folks like you who have adopted countries in high regard. Being fluent in multiple languages really opens up the world for you.

Dale

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I can appreciate this kind of photography only if the end product later meets with serious scrutiny of its aesthetic and conceptual merits (firstly by the photographer himself). Otherwise, it becomes yet another art movement that claims exemption from critique, and I'm not a fan of those movements.

To put it another way, it's not the means, but the end that concerns me. I really don't care how you go about capturing a compelling image, so long as you take responsibility for having chosen it for display afterwards. If exponents of lomography are not "concerned with aesthetics" when reviewing their results, then there is nothing to critique. It's therefore a pointless exercise for a fortnightly challenge.

Or, you could step out of your box and try it... :rolleyes: No one said you had to like it, or even participate. :p

I for one am all for the lomography, most of my photos are snapshots, and taken without regard to the so called rules.... Or am i totally missing the idea of this lomography stuff?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Or, you could step out of your box and try it... :rolleyes: No one said you had to like it, or even participate. :p

I for one am all for the lomography, most of my photos are snapshots, and taken without regard to the so called rules.... Or am i totally missing the idea of this lomography stuff?

I think you're missing the point, and you are misrepresenting my position on it. What part of this did you not understand:

I'll try to make my position even more clear: I don't care whether a photo was taken from the hip or from a pogo stick. I don't care whether a given photographic technique favors classical landscapes or ethereal abstracts. I care about the experience of viewing the resulting photograph, period. If a topic of "lomography" means that the end result doesn't matter, then what is there to critique? If there is nothing to critique, then why make it into a topic for a fortnightly challenge?? Are you following me now?

Furthermore, regarding me: I have no "box." I don't have a single method of shooting, and I don't have anything against any particular approach. To me, photography is not about technique (I once had a lengthy debate over the matter with Compuwar).

What I find uninteresting about lomography is that it privileges technique over results. That's putting the cart before the horse. Would you want a challenge topic that was "100mm, f/11, from a tripod"? I sure wouldn't. Who cares how you approach your art, so long as you produce something compelling?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I agree with the above concerns regarding lomo, but will go with the flow. I could find it hard to critique something that is inherently "shoot from the hip".

Regarding my current avatar, I'm surprised how quickly you noticed. A tribute to the intelligence and attention to details you have.

I looked Slovenia quite a while ago after falling in love with those fantastic photos you shared with us. The shields for the state of Slovenia and the capital, described as a center for art and culture, intrigued me. I really liked the dragon guarding the castle and decided to use it for a while before I go back to my personal logo, the trillium. I also wanted to wink at you or something. I have a playful sense of humor and I hope I put a smile on your face.

As for my language skills, well I know some English and enough Spanish to get myself in trouble. I hold Europeans and folks like you who have adopted countries in high regard. Being fluent in multiple languages really opens up the world for you.

Dale

How could I not notice the coat of arms of the capital of my beloved adopted country?! Plus, it's a rather striking emblem, regardless. ;) Thanks for putting a little smile on my face. :)

Back to the topic of lomography, on which I have more to say! If what interests people about it is the end results, then perhaps you should suggest topics that express what you think lomography encourages. For example, to use acearchie's words: spontaneity, ubiquity, randomness, close-ups. Any one of those would make a great challenge topic. I just don't think it's necessary to dictate technique to everyone here.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Back to the topic of lomography, on which I have more to say! If what interests people about it is the end results, then perhaps you should suggest topics that express what you think lomography encourages. For example, to use acearchie's words: spontaneity, ubiquity, randomness, close-ups. Any one of those would make a great challenge topic. I just don't think it's necessary to dictate technique to everyone here.

Phrasikleia, I think I get your point of view! And you have come up with a good suggestion to settle this matter!

You see when I hear Lomography what I am seeing is the golden rules and the definition that I provided earlier and not necessarily a technique. I think when lomography suggests you should "forget about he rules" it is simply suggesting that you shouldn't spend hours deciding whether to take the picture, it goes as far as to suggest that you shouldn't comprehend it at all! Just take it!

If my interpretation is correct then the thoughts about "forgetting aesthetics" is merely during the shooting stage. A lomographer (if that's the right term) can expect half the roll of film to be dud and maybe the other half to exceed expectations.

It's not about forgetting everything you have learnt from photography either on a P&S, SLR or DSLR but it is allowing you to be more relaxed!

I for one am very happy with the suggestion to go with one of the defining words instead of "lomography" as a title as it will provide a challenge for those not too keen on the "shoot from the hip" ethos but will also allow others to dust off the Holga, Diana etc. and see if there are any new unique pictures to be taken!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Phrasikleia, I think I get your point of view! And you have come up with a good suggestion to settle this matter!

You see when I hear Lomography what I am seeing is the golden rules and the definition that I provided earlier and not necessarily a technique. I think when lomography suggests you should "forget about he rules" it is simply suggesting that you shouldn't spend hours deciding whether to take the picture, it goes as far as to suggest that you shouldn't comprehend it at all! Just take it!

If my interpretation is correct then the thoughts about "forgetting aesthetics" is merely during the shooting stage. A lomographer (if that's the right term) can expect half the roll of film to be dud and maybe the other half to exceed expectations.

It's not about forgetting everything you have learnt from photography either on a P&S, SLR or DSLR but it is allowing you to be more relaxed!

I for one am very happy with the suggestion to go with one of the defining words instead of "lomography" as a title as it will provide a challenge for those not too keen on the "shoot from the hip" ethos but will also allow others to dust off the Holga, Diana etc. and see if there are any new unique pictures to be taken!

If aesthetics in the final image do matter, then I have no problem with it. It's fine by me if what we're critiquing is the judgment of the photographer in assessing and selecting his shot-from-the-hip images. What I don't want is a thread full of images that are "above" critique--untouchable simply because someone has filed them under the heading of "lomography." I also don't think technique should be the focus, so I prefer conceptual words as challenge topics.

Just as an aside, I should note that this forum's most slow, methodical, and tripod-based photographer prefers his technique because it enables him to get into a Zen mode of shooting where rules and thought melt away. So impulsive shooting is not the only road to carefree photographs.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Just as an aside, I should note that this forum's most slow, methodical, and tripod-based photographer prefers his technique because it enables him to get into a Zen mode of shooting where rules and thought melt away. So impulsive shooting is not the only road to carefree photographs.

This is something I would love to do and I think this is where we differ as I have a very hectic life with school, photography, videos, other hobbies etc and it is very hard to find the time (and the location without a car ;)) to be able to spend sometime attaining this zen mode and lomography is a way of me getting my zen fix!

I'm all for any of the defining words... apart from "casual, snapshot photography!"

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I think you're missing the point, and you are misrepresenting my position on it. What part of this did you not understand:

Apparently all of it.

Are you following me now?

Yep.

Furthermore, regarding me: I have no "box." I don't have a single method of shooting, and I don't have anything against any particular approach. To me, photography is not about technique (I once had a lengthy debate over the matter with Compuwar).

My apologies, as i misinterpreted your message. I am actually the same. I also agree about technique. I feel technique can help, but its not essential.

Who cares how you approach your art, so long as you produce something compelling?

That could be on a 'quote-a-day' calender or something to that effect. Very well said.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I also found this much on the LomoArtProject site:

Rule 1: Take your LOMO with you wherever you go

Rule 2: Use it all the time, at any time - day & night

Rule 3: Lomography does not interfere with your life, it's a part of it

Rule 4: Get as close as possible to the objects of your lomographic desire

Rule 5: Don't think (William Firebrace)

Rule 6: Be fast

Rule 8: You don't have to know what's on the film afterwards either

Rule 9: Shoot from the hip

Rule 10: Don't worry about rules

I am in essential agreement with you, and I do think it is possible. Most of my gem and mineral images are what I call "flash and dash" pictures. There is something there that catches my attention but I am never sure what it is. I shoot the entire specimen and then find what I saw when I get it home. It is a completely different approach than we usually use, and I end up shooting a lot of junk. For me the art comes out in the processing not the shooting. Some that indulge in the philosophy of art talk about our subconscious and unconscious perceptions. I think this is a good way to exercise that. I've seen a lot of your work. I think you would do very well with this, if it is the chosen topic.

In the meantime, I think there are a lot of good ideas. I am partial to the ones that make me wonder what I can do with it. There were many beautiful postcard images. I'm not sure any of us had to challenge ourselves to get them.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I have a very hectic life with school, photography, videos, other hobbies etc and it is very hard to find the time (and the location without a car ;)) to be able to spend sometime attaining this zen mode and lomography is a way of me getting my zen fix!

Interesting. I've certainly done my share of shooting willy-nilly, and I continue to do it when I really just feel like pressing that shutter button a lot (sometimes I just want to blast off images as a kind of cartharsis :cool:). However, going that route always seems to end up as a time sink for me. Wandering around clicking away and then sifting through a bunch of uninteresting images returns very few rewards for the time invested, at least for me. I do a lot better with surgical strikes. If I have an idea and pursue it with some planning, I usually end up getting at least one keeper without having spent much time on it. I definitely end up getting into the "zone" that way, since it's great fun for me, so it's a great escape from anything that might be weighing on my mind.

By the way, I also am without a car, at least when I'm in the US (which is often). So I feel your pain. Being car-less and stuck in an un-photogenic urban environment really puts limits on what I can do, but I make do.

NeGRit0, thanks for the follow-up. I appreciate it. :)

Anyway, out of all the topics now on the table, I think I prefer ubiquity and randomness.

Hey Folks!!!!!!!!!!!

How about a little civility. We don't have to agree but we do have to respect one another.

:confused::confused::confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.