Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
"essay" title?

finished & not finished?

how bout demonstrations that took place around the world? It's a pitty for me, I'm in exams, but i'd love to see how people photograph other people with their fist in the air (especially here in France).
eventual dates: between yesterday and tomorrow?

:)

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Well, I'm torn because whilst I can see your fair opinion of not everyone having the opportunity to take pictures of people without a 'stalker' branding - I do belive we should have a theme which encourages more human aspect than 'connections', I don't want to be looking at 10 pictures of the power cable entering a ibook/powerbook/macbook.

Could we have a clause like "'Connections' - With no computer bits allowed!" ?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
tektonnic said:

"'Connections' - With no computer bits allowed! Unless it's really HOT and STEAMY, of course."

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
tektonnic said:
Well, I'm torn because whilst I can see your fair opinion of not everyone having the opportunity to take pictures of people without a 'stalker' branding - I do belive we should have a theme which encourages more human aspect than 'connections', I don't want to be looking at 10 pictures of the power cable entering a ibook/powerbook/macbook.

I think people should be allowed to interpret whatever the chosen topic turns out to be in the way in which they see fit. For some, it may be a literal interpretation of the power cable connecting into someone's computer, for others it may be two human lovers embracing, for still others it may be two insects coupling or a mare nuzzling her newborn foal....

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I don't think the goal is to find topics any picture will fit under. I don't like Water and Metal or Connections, because you could just walk outside one day without any thought and get a picture of something that would fit. It leads to stagnation, the purpose of assignments is to ponder what will work and how you will do it, then go and take the picture.

Take Flowers, its a pretty open topic, but at least its pointed enough not to let practically any object in. Now take Metal, metal is so open you could take a picture from any object that is made of metal.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
I think if we accept that relationships can be non-human ("strawberries and cream", "snap, crackle & pop" for example), that we might as well leave it as that word rather than attempting to force connections to mean something else.

Polls is now up here - voting til Friday!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Y'know, I'm beginning to think we ought to just bag this whole "assignment" idea and simply go to a loose and spontaneous system of anyone who wants to start a thread proposing a specific topic does so and anyone who wants to join can and those who don't, won't.... It is all too clear that there is NEVER going to be any real agreement on these assignments and since there is no real authority such as an instructor or art show judge to say, "this is the topic, here are the rules, go out and shoot!" and no specific "reward" at the end such as first place, a gold medal or gold cup, a cash prize...some aren't going to want to put the energy into shooting for assignments where the topic doesn't suit them and others don't seem to put any effort into offering honest critiques.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Clix Pix said:
Y'know, I'm beginning to think we ought to just bag this whole "assignment" idea

We just asked that question... and the majority (75%) said to keep the assignments to encourage them to keep their eyes open but that it shouldn't preclude anyone from posting any other interesting idea. Let's not go round in that loop again... :eek:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Applespider said:
We just asked that question... and the majority (75%) said to keep the assignments to encourage them to keep their eyes open but that it shouldn't preclude anyone from posting any other interesting idea. Let's not go round in that loop again... :eek:

A momentary vent out of frustration at a couple of posts which seemed to be argumentative about the proposed topics....

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Was my post deleted or something, or did I just forget to "reply"??

Anyway...

Clix Pix said:
...It is all too clear that there is NEVER going to be any real agreement on these assignments.....

Why does it matter whether there's agreement on these assignment topics or not? Just shoot whatever topic comes up. I rarely have this much choice when I'm involved in something, whether it's school related or otherwise. I just get a few choices, and sometimes I get none at all.
I'll shoot flowers if flowers is the topic, and I'll shoot water if water is voted on, even though I really don't like it. I'll just shoot it because it could be challenging to get something better than yours, or anyone elses, and maybe next month, your 1st choice will be chosen. Everyone is gonna need to realize that your first choice isn't going to come up each month. That's part of the game and challenge.

One thing that makes these assignments better than just "regular" themed threads is that it forces you to go out and get NEW shots, and it makes you consider taking photos of things you may not otherwise go out and shoot.

Also, how is "relationships" different from "connections"?? The only difference I see between "relationships" and "connections" is that connections may imply a cable leading to a Powerbook or any electronic device, while "relationships" is like the connection between people. So lets just call it "relationships" if that's what you all mean to say.

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Does this thread still need to be open? are we still accepting ideas for subjects?
If not I see no need to keep it open and all conversations can be moved to the poll topic. In which you can try to persway others to vote with the suggestion you like best :)

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.