Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1415OH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
SEOUL
If Tower MAC 5.1 (2010 mid) of NVMe M.2 SSD (960evo, 970evo.. etc) was installed (bootable) ,

Can You explain how to install?

guywithFX

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2005
Is it safe to assume this still works in Mojave? Trying to get my ducks in a row before upgrading from High Sierra. :)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Is it safe to assume this still works in Mojave? Trying to get my ducks in a row before upgrading from High Sierra. :)

I can't see why it will break.

The NVMe bootability is at firmware level, OS version independent.

And 10.14 definitely has NVMe driver included.

Reactions: MIKX

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

It works perfectly. My only install of Mojave is on a 970 Pro NVMe.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Works for me in High Sierra 10.13.6 with a Samsung M.2 960 EVO -leaves SATA II for dead.

Go slowly, read EVERY post in this thread also : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp51-0084-b00-rom-dump-request.2119496/ - learn how to turn off SIP - backup your current ROM.

In the end you'll have to learn as we did. We cannot actually do the process for you.

There are people here who can flash your current ROM for you . .. read up and find them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matty_TypeR

abdyfranco

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2017
can you explain High Sierra Install on NVMe SSD (970Pro) of This Way?
First, You need to install Next Loader on a USB Drive (connected to a USB 2.0 Port) or on a small partition on a AHCI drive like a SATA SSD or a Hard Drive.
Then you will need a AHCI drive for the initial installation, You will need to instal High Sierra on to the AHCI drive and then clone the installation to the NVMe with CCC.

@two-mac-jack Has successfully installed High Siera on to an NVMe Drive using Next Loader, Probably he can help you better.

Sarcasmonaut

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
First, You need to install Next Loader on a USB Drive (connected to a USB 2.0 Port) or on a small partition on a AHCI drive like a SATA SSD or a Hard Drive.
Then you will need a AHCI drive for the initial installation, You will need to instal High Sierra on to the AHCI drive and then clone the installation to the NVMe with CCC.

@two-mac-jack Has successfully installed High Siera on to an NVMe Drive using Next Loader, Probably he can help you better.

If anyone could provide details on how to perform this, it would be massively appreciated!

Sarcasmonaut

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
It's not necessary anymore. The Mac Pro 5,1 now has native NVMe support with the 140.0.0.0 firmware

Hey abdyfranco, thanks for the reply.

I've updated my Mac Pro 5,1 to the firmware that's required by High Sierra. After that I plugged in the NVMe and booted from a USB with the High Sierra installation. The NVMe displayed as external and the installer allowed me to perform the installation to the NVMe. Thing is, after the reboot the Mac can't seem to find the OS and displays a folder with a question mark in a grey screen.

Any ideas?

Specs are:
- Silverstone SST-ECM21 M.2 (NGFF)
- Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 PCIe NVMe

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

I've updated my Mac Pro 5,1 to the firmware that's required by High Sierra. After that I plugged in the NVMe and booted from a USB with the High Sierra installation. The NVMe displayed as external and the installer allowed me to perform the installation to the NVMe. Thing is, after the reboot the Mac can't seem to find the OS and displays a folder with a question mark in a grey screen.

Any ideas?

Specs are:

It has to be firmware 140.0.0.0.0 that comes with the Mojave full installer. You don’t have to install Mojave, just run the firmware upgrade.

Reactions: bsbeamer

Sarcasmonaut

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018

Any ideas?

Specs are:

That was it! Thank you very much, it did the trick.

Sarcasmonaut

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
It has to be firmware 140.0.0.0.0 that comes with the Mojave full installer. You don’t have to install Mojave, just run the firmware upgrade.

Yep, that was it. It did the trick.

By the way, has anyone with this setup been able to configure their NVMe to display as an internal drive?
Mine shows up as external, which isn't a problem for OS X, but it doesn't seem to allow bootcamp to do it's thing.

guywithFX

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2005
Yep, that was it. It did the trick.

By the way, has anyone with this setup been able to configure their NVMe to display as an internal drive?
Mine shows up as external, which isn't a problem for OS X, but it doesn't seem to allow bootcamp to do it's thing.
It's call Innie. :)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/innie-a-fix-for-pci-drives-seen-as-external.2136229/
And it shows AHCI and nVME as internal drives without fiddling in Kexts I think. I still need to try it out.

JAJE

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2018
Denmark

[doublepost=1542783760][/doublepost]Hi I have Mac Pro 4.1 upgrade to 5.1 and used Dosdude1 guide to update the rom with NVme driver option but i can't get my Samsung NVME EVO 960 Pro 512 GB card to boot in High Sierra or in Mojave and the speed with Blackmagic is only 1500/1500 in test and if i used the NVME Samsung Evo 970 - 1 TB the speed is only 500/600 so if there anyone who know how to fixede this problem

zcream

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008

I do not have metal GPU. How can I extract and just install the Mojave firmware ? I am on 13.6 with
MP51.0089.B00 Bootrom.

andymac5DOT1

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2019
Hi everyone.. Quick question for you. I'm running Mac 5.1 High Sierra 10.13.6 with BIOS 144.0.0.0.0 when I boot mac with usb High Sierra I can only format NVME drive with new APFS format (system doesn't give me option to format with exJornaled.. Is it normal? After I format samsung nvme-ssd and start installing os x 2 minutes before the end it crashes and system restarts.. after disabling csrutil " didn't help" any ideas?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi everyone.. Quick question for you. I'm running Mac 5.1 High Sierra 10.13.6 with BIOS 144.0.0.0.0 when I boot mac with usb High Sierra I can only format NVME drive with new APFS format (system doesn't give me option to format with exJornaled.. Is it normal? After I format samsung nvme-ssd and start installing os x 2 minutes before the end it crashes and system restarts.. after disabling csrutil " didn't help" any ideas?
Which NVMe?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.