Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
edit i replyed to a post but looks like it got deleted ?

Last edited:
Reactions: crjackson2134

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Why? It works fine. Speedtest shows 1400 MB/s, both read and write.
1) The NVMe FFS module from MP6,1 is compiled with a totally different compiler from the one used to compile MP5,1 EFI and with completely different optimisations, it's just dumb luck that it "works".
2) The injection tool was not made for MP5,1 EFI version and double inject the header inside the volume.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Why? It works fine. Speedtest shows 1400 MB/s, both read and write.

"Can work" does not mean "no unknown adverse effect"

If it's just the OS level stuff, in worst case, just kill the OS, and need a clean installation.

But in this situation, it's at firmware level, which means, it can brick the logic board.

Yes, we know, there are many cases of success. However, if there is a "more correct" way to do it (and more official, more native......), we better which to that better method.

Guess what? It takes years until we found out UEFI Windows can brick the cMP by injecting multiple security certificates into the BootROM.

And that NVME DXE injection method only been used for a very short period of time. Then a BootROM that has native NVMe support released by Apple. Therefore, IMO, it's imply not enough data (and time) to confirm there is no mid-long term adverse effect for cMP.

That's why this self injection method should be avoided by now.

Reactions: innovaTutor

bleifuss

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2010
Garwolin/Poland
1) The NVMe FFS module from MP6,1 is compiled with a totally different compiler from the one used to compile MP5,1 EFI and with completely different optimisations, it's just dumb luck that it "works".
2) The injection tool was not made for MP5,1 EFI version and double inject the header inside the volume.
It's misunderstanding. "I did it that way" I meant that I upgraded bootrom from the Mojave installer :) So I guess I coose right solution. Sorry for not beeing clear enaugh :)

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It's misunderstanding. "I did it that way" I meant that I upgraded bootrom from the Mojave installer :) So I guess I coose right solution. Sorry for not beeing clear enaugh :)
Yes, the wrong procedure would be to inject the MP6,1 NVMe EFI module inside the BootROM. The correct way is to upgrade to 144.0.0.0.0 and have native support.

Reactions: innovaTutor

souzerman

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2017
Yes, the wrong procedure would be to inject the MP6,1 NVMe EFI module inside the BootROM. The correct way is to upgrade to 144.0.0.0.0 and have native support.
Dear Alex,
i'm very new to Mac and Apple. I have 2 Mac Pro's 5.1(one 5.1 and 1 4.1 flashed to 5.1) and both are on 144.0.0.0.0 my question is if all the NVME's drive are bootable with my machines or if only some of them are. I found TOSHIBA RD500 1TB in a very logical price but i read that only some NVME's drives are bootable such as SAMSUNG 960,970, TOSHIBA XG5, XG5-P,XG6,XG6-P etc. Can you inform me if all the NVME's are bootable on my machine's? Also one more question is if they are bootable only on Mojave or also in Yosemite,Sierra,High Sierra etc.? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Dear Alex,
i'm very new to Mac and Apple. I have 2 Mac Pro's 5.1 and both are on 144.0.0.0.0 my question is if all the NVME's drive are bootable with my machines or if only some of them are. I found TOSHIBA RD500 1TB in a very logical price but i read that only some NVME's drives are bootable such as SAMSUNG 960,970, TOSHIBA XG5, XG5-P,XG6,XG6-P etc. Can you inform me if all the NVME's are bootable on my machine's? Also one more question is if they are bootable only on Mojave or also in Yosemite,Sierra,High Sierra etc.? Thanks in advance
Not all PCIe drives are supported, thats why we have a list of tested and confirmed working blades/drives.

macOS NVMe support start with Sierra, for 4K/sector drives only, earlier macOS releases don't even see that the drive/blade exists.

High Sierra is the first macOS release to have 3rd party NVMe support for both types of sectorization (512 bytes/sector and 4K bytes/sector), see the PCIe SSD thread first post to understand.

Your questions are already answered there in detail.

souzerman

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2017
Not all PCIe drives are supported, thats why we have a list of tested and confirmed working blades/drives.

macOS NVMe support start with Sierra, for 4K/sector drives only, earlier macOS releases don't even see that the drive/blade exists.

High Sierra is the first macOS release to have 3rd party NVMe support for both types of sectorization (512 bytes/sector and 4K bytes/sector), see the PCIe SSD thread first post to understand.

Your questions are already answered there in detail.
Thanks for your prompt reply. I'll check,read and be more careful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.