Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arc of the universe

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2023
The iPad is Apple’s sub $1000 computing line, a market where the majority of users are willing to trade some autonomy for a more controlled experience.

Or to put it another way: nobody whoever bought a Fiat 500 complained it couldn’t win a Formula 1 race.
this is very well phrased.
and the thing that apple improved in order for more people to be comfortable and make a switch to iPad from macOS is the M4 iPad Pro Magic Keyboard.
once this better Magic Keyboard is able to used with the iPad Air, then probably the majority of macOS users could make the switch to an iPad for their every day computing device without any compromise.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
this is very well phrased.
and the thing that apple improved in order for more people to be comfortable and make a switch to iPad from macOS is the M4 iPad Pro Magic Keyboard.
once they improved that device, we can use iPadOS with all its apps, with no compromise trackpad level input.
once this better Magic Keyboard is able to used with the iPad Air, then probably the majority of macOS users could make the switch to an iPad fror their every day computing device without any compromise.

Yup. And if you want analogous fiat 500 computing device, the iPad is the highest quality experience in the segment.

As a network admin if I was to give up either my MacBook Pro or my iPad Air with trackpad and keyboard and pencil for a week - it would really be a tough choice already.

I can do most Mac things I need on it, plus I can take notes, photos, videos and scribble on it.

Yeah there are things I use the MacBook for that I can’t use on the iPad but they’re more occasional nice to have stuff than “can’t live without”.

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
I was shocked that they didn’t announce ANY improvements to stage manager :( is nobody reading the extensive analysis that the guy over at macstories is writing up every year? He pointed out so many low hanging fruits for them in his last massive write up, it’s kinda offensive they’re just ignoring all of this.
They dont care about stage manager, windows manager, desktop management at all..

• Sad
Reactions: chfilm

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
just as i predicted, I installed iPadOS 18 on my M1 iPad, and of course, there is zero improvement in desktop, window, folder, file management, but hey I can now tint my icons. That's only thing which is different from iPad 17, which in turn had miniscular improvements from iPad 16 and so on and so forth. Who at Apple oversees this desperately bad, outdated, useless OS? Why to install M4 chips in a device, which OS is less capable than System 7.5 in 1995?

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
One thing I really wish Apple would add to the iPad is smart folders in Photos. I'm doing some major clean up on my iMac and smart folders are a godsend — I've made half a dozen to separate things my year, then I can go through in systematic and manageable chunks.

I can sort of understand the iPhone not supporting it but the iPad certainly should at the very least mirror the ones made on the Mac.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
It remains a giant iPhone.
This comment made me think that Apple could be using the iPad to test how things will be on the unfolded screen of a future iPhone, then kill the iPad (mini) off completely?

In other words, the (seemingly) lack of innovation of the iPad may be a trial of future innovation of the iPhone?

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
It remains a giant iPhone.

Even if they won’t decouple files from apps, I wish they’d allow us to drag windows around on the screen and resize them.
Well....Any current iPad and iPhone can access files and open them with a context menu with the Files app.

You can also drag and resize windows with these iPads and Stage Manager:

Just a side note. In iOS and iPad OS 18 you can also drag and position icons and folders anywhere on the screen now.

The following iPad models support Stage Manager:
  • iPad Pro 13-inch (M4)
  • iPad Air 13-inch (M2)
  • iPad Air 11-inch (M2)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd through 6th generation)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (1st through 4th generation)
  • iPad Air (5th generation)
Here's a short video I just made on using Files app and Stage manager

Last edited:

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
It doesn’t matter how smart or talented the engineers are. They are not the ones making product strategy decisions.

And your post is a perfect example of arrogance that destroyed many formerly leading companies.

I am a long time loyal Apple fan who switched from Android. Unlike some people who just followed the trend without looking at the “other” side, I knew Android very well, and made an informed decision after comparing all pros and cons. I knew that there was a clear advantage in using Apple.

Now, I don’t believe that’s the case anymore. There are still many great things about Apple ecosystem, but also many areas where it falls short. It would be a lot harder for me to pick a side if I was setting up from scratch today.
You sound like the Macalope over at Macworld. OMG!...the impending doom of a 3.47 trillion-dollar company😯

Top 10 largest companies by market capitalization - Notice who is number 1?
#CompanyMarket capitalization
1Apple$3.469 trillion
2Microsoft$3.035 trillion
3NVIDIA$2.629 trillion
4Alphabet (Google)$1.943 trillion

macalope-2021-27.png

Last edited:

SnowCrocodile

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2022
SouthEast of Northern MidWest
You sound like the Macalope over at Macworld. OMG!...the impending doom of a 3.47 trillion-dollar company😯

Top 10 largest companies by market capitalization - Notice who is number 1?
#CompanyMarket capitalization
1Apple$3.469 trillion
2Microsoft$3.035 trillion
3NVIDIA$2.629 trillion
4Alphabet (Google)$1.943 trillion

View attachment 2425537

And In 1980 world’s top company by market capitalization was IBM.

In 2010, it was PetroChina.

When a company stops innovating, it starts a long downward slide and eventually loses market to competitors. Just look at General Motors. It topped Forbes’ Fortune 500 list for a decade and a half, from 1986 to 2000. Look at them now.

• Haha
Reactions: bondr006

mandopicker101

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2022
just as i predicted, I installed iPadOS 18 on my M1 iPad, and of course, there is zero improvement in desktop, window, folder, file management, but hey I can now tint my icons. That's only thing which is different from iPad 17, which in turn had miniscular improvements from iPad 16 and so on and so forth. Who at Apple oversees this desperately bad, outdated, useless OS? Why to install M4 chips in a device, which OS is less capable than System 7.5 in 1995?
Without intending to be rude, impertinent or offend, why are you still using iPad if it doesn’t fulfil your needs? Some Android slates and the Surface might be more ‘the droids you are looking for’.

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
Without intending to be rude, impertinent or offend, why are you still using iPad if it doesn’t fulfil your needs? Some Android slates and the Surface might be more ‘the droids you are looking for’.
i am using it just for web browsing in bed and some movie watching. Not for anything else. FYI, I have Apple Pencil 2 and Magic Keyboard too. So yes, I know how limited its OS is.

• Haha

DaniTheFox

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
One thing I really wish Apple would add to the iPad is smart folders in Photos. I'm doing some major clean up on my iMac and smart folders are a godsend — I've made half a dozen to separate things my year, then I can go through in systematic and manageable chunks.

I can sort of understand the iPhone not supporting it but the iPad certainly should at the very least mirror the ones made on the Mac.
With iPadOS 18.1, the need for folders is eliminated. Simply search for “Camels,” and you will have access to your entire desert trip.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
With iPadOS 18.1, the need for folders is eliminated. Simply search for “Camels,” and you will have access to your entire desert trip.
No, the need for folders is not remotely eliminated.

I even gave a real use case in my comment for why I'm currently use smart folders, and a search would not suit my needs whatsoever.

Reactions: DaniTheFox

DaniTheFox

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
No, the need for folders is not remotely eliminated.

I even gave a real use case in my comment for why I'm currently use smart folders, and a search would not suit my needs whatsoever.
Indeed, I am also missing several essential features in iPadOS, such as the ability to enter keywords.

I must admit that the search functionality is not entirely flawless. While searching for “cat,” there were also images of bulldozers (from CATerpillar Inc.) included. Therefore, the optimal search string would be “cat NOT yellow”. While these images are then not present anymore, this search would also exclude safari trips featuring lions. In the future, we may be able to refine the search to include “cat NOT yellow BUT fur.”

Reactions: StoneJack

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2022
Indeed, I am also missing several essential features in iPadOS, such as the ability to enter keywords.

I must admit that the search functionality is not entirely flawless. While searching for “cat,” there were also images of bulldozers (from CATerpillar Inc.) included. Therefore, the optimal search string would be “cat NOT yellow”. While these images are then not present anymore, this search would also exclude safari trips featuring lions. In the future, we may be able to refine the search to include “cat NOT yellow BUT fur.”
Even so, that wouldn't replace folders. The whole point of smart folders is their versatility, and they can be temporary.

The other issue with search is you have to know exactly what you're looking for, whereas folders let you keep different things in one place.

DaniTheFox

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
Even so, that wouldn't replace folders. The whole point of smart folders is their versatility, and they can be temporary.

The other issue with search is you have to know exactly what you're looking for, whereas folders let you keep different things in one place.
Thank you for your prompt response. I have just submitted a suggestion to Apple addressing this issue.

During my macOS era, I utilized intelligent Folders to search for photographs taken with my 18mm lens in Portrait Mode. Subsequently, I eliminated all the uninteresting images.

Currently, I am using iPadOS 18.1 with Apple Intelligence. However, I anticipate further advancements in the future.

Over the past two decades, I have diligently collected photographs of over 1000 performances. I relied heavily on keywords to organize and locate these images.

However, my primary objective is to find the picture of “Duet Big Dady Wilson.” Unfortunately, I only have the information that I was photograph (Hans) Theessink in my calendar. Nevertheless, through Apple Intelligence, I find out that Big Dady Wilson was performing with Hans at that time. And not Terry Evans any more.

I hold several photographs of deceased individuals (Terry) that I would like to display immediately following their obituaries being published in the newspaper. Now I inadvertently discovered this information.

Reactions: Webcat86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.