Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
My brother in law bought a new SE from ATT. They transferred everything from the old iPhone 8 to the new SE by placing one phone on top of the other. When it was done you were prompted on the old phone to erase it.
I have been looking on the web for app that does this transfer. Could not find anything. Is it ATT only app ?
Could be very useful to anybody.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
My brother in law bought a new SE from ATT. They transferred everything from the old iPhone 8 to the new SE by placing one phone on top of the other. When it was done you were prompted on the old phone to erase it.
I have been looking on the web for app that does this transfer. Could not find anything. Is it ATT only app ?
Could be very useful to anybody.
You get the option every time you set up a new or a phone that has had a full reset.

kinga

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2021
USA
The method you described for transferring data from an iPhone 8 to an iPhone SE by placing one phone on the other is called Quick Start. Quick Start is a feature that was introduced in iOS 11 and is available on all iPhones running iOS 11 or later. It allows you to transfer data wirelessly from an old iPhone or iPad to a new one.

Here are the requirements for using Quick Start:

Both devices must be running iOS 11 or later.
Both devices must be connected to Wi-Fi.
Bluetooth must be turned on on both devices.
The old device must be within range of the new device.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Hi,

I am trying to similarly transfer over all the apps etc from a 5th Gen iPad running 16.7 to a... err... 2 model newer iPad running similar.

It performs the first part of the Quick Start ok, but when you get to "Transfer Directly from iPad" - it just goes back to "Quick Start".

Looking online, I see this is a common complaint, but no definitive answer, other than making sure the devices meet the requirements you listed above. Some say you need to instal the LATEST iOS... but as per Apple's own specs, that shouldn't be necessary.

Does anyone have a magic fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.