Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
a question i don't think anyone asked.... are you backpacking? if not, where are you keeping your stuff and will it be safe? if you are backpacking, do you seriously want to lug around all that stuff (why are two bodies necessary?)?
huge 2nd on insurance! that's a must in general, not just when traveling IMO.

my suggestion:
1 body
1 prime for low light photography
1 wide or 1 telephoto (depending on what subjects you tend to shoot more of), not both
gorilla pod or table top tripod because of it's small size and ease of packing
plenty of spare batteries/memory cards
a compact camera

i don't see why i'd want to bring two bodies unless i was going on an actual photo vacation. i would stay clear from a larger tripod because of packing and carrying, not to mention it would get cumbersome. i wouldn't bother with the laptop, just bring extra memory cards. having traveled for two years on the road and needing a laptop with me for work it's actually a joy to leave it at home and really lightens up your bag! unless you want to carry around an adapter and a charger, i would try to bring more batteries.
you mentioned going to greece with friends which sounds like a great trip and i'm sure you'll have a blast. are they photographers? ie, are they going to want to wait around while you change lenses, set up your tripod, download images to your computer, etc? have you ever been to greece? while i think we'd all agree, photo ops are fantastic, don't forget to actually enjoy the place you're visiting and not worry about taking pictures of every single thing.

i've learned to travel as light as possible. it just becomes a hassle to carry too many things. i'm sure we'll always encounter that time when we wish we would have brought 'that' piece of gear, but i, personally, enjoy the trip more when i'm not entirely focused on taking pictures. hell, i rarely even bring a zoom lens with me anymore. just 1 body, 1 prime, a compact P&S camera and i'm good to go. limiting your equipment also helps you think more creatively (ie, walk to get into a better position because you can't zoom, etc).

my $.02.
regardless, have an awesome time!!

Okay, in the summer I'm off to Greece with some friends, and planned on taking my camera gear with me.

There's no way I'm packing my gear into my main luggage, so I'm looking to buy a rucksack that will:

1. Be small enough for hand luggage.
2. Fit two bodies and a few lenses, and a macbook.
3. Be easy enough to open out for security checks.

I rarely carry all my gear at once, but I guess I would like to use the backpack for more than just airport travel once I've bought it, so ideally it'll look nice too. :cool:

Recommendations please!

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
oh, sorry, and for a bag i'd suggest a lowepro dryzone rover. great separate waterproof compartment, plenty of space for other items up top. only thing i don't like is that your gear is on the bottom, but it's still a great bag. definitely worth looking into waterproof bags since you never know weather conditions.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewloweprodryzonerover.html

another bag i have is dakine's sequence. it's great because it has rear access (so you don't have to worry about people stealing stuff while it's on or getting your back dirty when you put it on the ground), extremely comfortable padding, and a removable camera block. this way if you wanted to carry just the camera block and not the bag you could, or leave some camera stuff and fill the rest of the bag with whatever
http://philwigglesworth.net/BlogEngine.NET/post/2007/10/05/Dakine-Sequence-Review-(1-3).aspx

Cheers,
M

Wiredrawn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
a question i don't think anyone asked.... are you backpacking? if not, where are you keeping your stuff and will it be safe?

huge 2nd on insurance! that's a must in general, not just when traveling IMO.

No, I'm not backpacking, and am only going for just over a week, so everything will be locked away in the hotel. And, insurance is sorted.

i don't see why i'd want to bring two bodies.
i would stay clear from a larger tripod because of packing and carrying, not to mention it would get cumbersome. i wouldn't bother with the laptop, just bring extra memory cards.

One is a DSLR, one is a 35mm SLR, nice to have both. The reason I want to have a bag that can take everything is that I won't have to buy another bag in the recent future if I want to take everything out with me.

You mentioned going to greece with friends which sounds like a great trip and i'm sure you'll have a blast. are they photographers?

Don't forget to actually enjoy the place you're visiting and not worry about taking pictures of every single thing.

Well, I'm going with a huge group of friends, it's the last summer before we all depart to uni. The trip started out with about 7 or 8, and has quickly grown to 30+.:eek:

A few of the group are photographers, so as opposed to taking my camera out everyday to capture every shot, I'll take it out on a couple of specific trips out with the other photographers. There is so many people going that everything won't really be done in one large group, so it won't be difficult to find some hours to go on a little walk around the island with a small group of photographers.

Don't worry, I don't intend to spend my entire holiday behind the lens. :)

NomadicTy

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
I've travelled to Colombia, Norway, and Brasil with the following:

In transit - A Tenba Shootout (http://www.tenba.com/products/Shootout-Large-Backpack.aspx). I don't carry two bodies, just a Rebel XTi, a 580EX flash, Canon HDV Camcorder, 15 inch MBP, the lense hoods, a bunch of memory cards. The little wallet in one of the side pockets is perfect for my iPhone. STill enough space for a small point and shoot, passport wallet, etc.

In destination - I'm able to carry my Rebel + 17-55 mm lens, the 580ex, with enough space for the lens hood or a spare lens with a Kata T214. I stick this bag empty into my check in luggage when in transit. When I'm walking around with this slingback, I'm able to pull the bag to my front, undo the zippers, and pull out my camera in seconds. I can also have it out of sight in seconds as well. I'm pretty good at observing other people, and I haven't seen anybody "make" my bag unless they see me pull out my camera.

The idea on making camera bags more inconspicuous by sticking bright stuff or stickers on it is an excellent idea.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
One is a DSLR, one is a 35mm SLR, nice to have both. The reason I want to have a bag that can take everything is that I won't have to buy another bag in the recent future if I want to take everything out with me.

Absolutely, it's great to be able to transport all your gear.

But what you'll find (and I'm saying this from experience) is that eventually you'll figure out you only want one body and one maybe two lenses. In certain situations you'll add a speedlight to that.

So my suggestion is to get two bags: one that lets you easily transport all your gear (with plenty of room to grow) through airports, etc., and other on-location bag that is easy to carry, and so small that it only holds the body+lens with room for an additional lens or speedlight.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
definitely a lowepro.

I have 2:

1. is the slingshot (forget which version) - carries a few lens, the camera boyd and room for other accessories (battery, media card reader etc..)
I use this for shorter trips and/or riding my bike so I have the ability to 'sling' t the bag to grab the camera and start shooting within seconds

2. I also have a fastpack 250 - fits my macbook pro, camera, lens and accessories and has a ton of room for other stuff. It's a backpack and might be more useful to you than the slingshot for your trip. I just took this to jamaica over Christmas and it was amazing. I couldn't believe how much stuff I managed to pack in it.

Cheers,
Keebler

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
definitely a lowepro.

I have 2:

1. is the slingshot (forget which version) - carries a few lens, the camera boyd and room for other accessories (battery, media card reader etc..)
I use this for shorter trips and/or riding my bike so I have the ability to 'sling' t the bag to grab the camera and start shooting within seconds

2. I also have a fastpack 250 - fits my macbook pro, camera, lens and accessories and has a ton of room for other stuff. It's a backpack and might be more useful to you than the slingshot for your trip. I just took this to jamaica over Christmas and it was amazing. I couldn't believe how much stuff I managed to pack in it.

Cheers,
Keebler

+1!

I have the Fastpack 250 and it is great for taking everything with me on a trip but I am looking at picking up something like the Slingshot 200 to complement that for when I just want to take the camera out somewhere in particular.

Wiredrawn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
So my suggestion is to get two bags: one that lets you easily transport all your gear (with plenty of room to grow) through airports, etc., and other on-location bag that is easy to carry

Yeah, I have thought about this too, and think in the long run, this may well be the way to go.

Cheers,
Keebler

+1!

I have the Fastpack 250 and it is great for taking everything with me on a trip but I am looking at picking up something like the Slingshot 200 to complement that for when I just want to take the camera out somewhere in particular.

Wow, it seems the Fastpack 250 is a popular choice.

Luckily, I managed to have a look at one today in my local camera shop (which surprised me, because they never normally have what I'm looking for) and they seem great. More room than internet pictures led me to believe, and I'm sure I could pack a hell of a lot in there if I tried.

I could easily fit: DSLR, telephoto lens, wide lens, prime lens, flashgun, and possibly another body and lens in the top compartment, which is a lot roomier than I had thought, as well as my macbook.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
+1!

do grab a slingshot. I've whipped the camera out in seconds and managed to snag shots of wabbits and deer while mountain biking. My slingshot is with me any time i'm on the bike (or walking around the kids on trails etc..). It really does 'sling' for a 'shot' :) lol

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Yeah, I have thought about this too, and think in the long run, this may well be the way to go.

Wow, it seems the Fastpack 250 is a popular choice.

Luckily, I managed to have a look at one today in my local camera shop (which surprised me, because they never normally have what I'm looking for) and they seem great. More room than internet pictures led me to believe, and I'm sure I could pack a hell of a lot in there if I tried.

I could easily fit: DSLR, telephoto lens, wide lens, prime lens, flashgun, and possibly another body and lens in the top compartment, which is a lot roomier than I had thought, as well as my macbook.

good stuff. to be honest, it was my carry-on for the plane and I had extra underwear and stuff in case my luggage was lost - figured the computer and camera were the most important things ;)

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I got a billingham bag. Doesn't look too much like a camera bag which is a plus.

http://www.billingham.co.uk

In the states, you can have a carryon and a bag that fits under the seat (plus 1 bag for photags if you want to wait extra time a security). However the rules differ for each country. In UK it's strictly 1 bag through x-ray the last time I was there (had to stuff my laptop bag into the carry on).

Beautiful looking bags those Billingtons but pricey and I would be constantly agonising over scuff and scratch marks.

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Well, I'll most likely be taking:

Canon 450d.
Canon 300.
18-55mm.
70-300mm.
50mm prime.
18-35mm.
possibly tripod.

I carried the following in a Fastpack 250 on a trip to Alaska last summer:

Canon 5D
Canon 300D
16mm f/2.8 fisheye
50mm f/1.4 +hood
28-135mm IS + hood
70-200mm F/4L +hood
300mm F/4L
Canon 1.4x teleconverter
580EX II speedlite
4x Spare AA rechargeables + LaCrosse charger
2x spare Canon BP-511A batteries + charger
several filters, extra CF cards
15" MacBook Pro + charger
retractable ball-head monopod
A couple of plastic garbage bags in case of rain
Occasionally a water bottle in the side pocket and/or a lightweight jacket rolled up and secured under the lower flap.

This was definitely about as much as the bag could hold, but it was manageable with the waist strap. I walked many miles with this pack.

Wiredrawn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
I carried the following in a Fastpack 250 on a trip to Alaska last summer:

Canon 5D
Canon 300D
16mm f/2.8 fisheye
50mm f/1.4 +hood
28-135mm IS + hood
70-200mm F/4L +hood
300mm F/4L
Canon 1.4x teleconverter
580EX II speedlite
4x Spare AA rechargeables + LaCrosse charger
2x spare Canon BP-511A batteries + charger
several filters, extra CF cards
15" MacBook Pro + charger
retractable ball-head monopod
A couple of plastic garbage bags in case of rain
Occasionally a water bottle in the side pocket and/or a lightweight jacket rolled up and secured under the lower flap.

This was definitely about as much as the bag could hold, but it was manageable with the waist strap. I walked many miles with this pack.

Wow, this pretty much sells it for me.

Knowing I can get this much stuff in if I need to really helped, thanks!

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I was considering the fastpack 250 for the longest time - but was worried how it would look on a small frame like mine. I am glad in that instance that I went for the kata 467. It wasn't overkill. If only I can see the fastpack 250 in person! I've been to many camera stores, and they don't seem to carry it -just the 200 or 100.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Go to Fry's if you have one in your area, their Digital SLR selection pretty much stinks (No Nikon's, WTF?) but they do have an extensive range of bags, well for the common brands they do, they don't have the Kata's of the world though.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So my suggestion is to get two bags: one that lets you easily transport all your gear (with plenty of room to grow) through airports, etc., and other on-location bag that is easy to carry, and so small that it only holds the body+lens with room for an additional lens or speedlight.

+1 on that.

What's really what I do. I have a Pelican case and inside of it I back a smaller camera bag and the gear.

Transportation and storage is one thing. Hard cases work best for that. But using a camera is a second thing and small bags (or big pockets) work best for that.

Everyone wants a "do it all" bag. It can't happen. If it is big enough to hold everything then it is to bulky to carry around

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Not sure if its big enough for you, but i really like the crumpler sinking barge. Good area for a body and two lenses, laptop compartment, and medium sized main compartment for all your other stuff. If you needed a second body you could get a smaller bag for that that goes in the main compartment. Just a thought...

rost12

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
Another vote for Crumpler bags. Mine's been subject to over a year of traveling around Europe, holding up great. Does not look like a camera bag either. Their backpacks are also designed in such a way that the part of the bag that opens is actually against your back when you're carrying it, great for crowds/touristy places where you'd be worried about thieves.

Be careful if you plan to actually carry all that gear on you. My 3 lenses, 1Dm3 body and a 15 inch laptop get pretty heavy after lugging them around for 2-3 days in a row.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.