Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Finally received all of the kit today - almost a full month after I ordered it.

For those who may have ever been tempted to cheap out on support, all I can say is - don't.

The build quality and action, of the legs and head are outstanding.

The legs feel strong, sturdy and very capable. They reach a great height allowing me to use the tripod extended (without extending the centre column) without hunching (I'm 6"2') but can also go almost flat to the floor if needed.

The Q-M10 head - well it's stunning. Mounting my 50D with the 18-200mm lens and it feels solid as hell, but with just a twist will go anywhere I want.

I am delighted with this kit and would happily recommend it to anyone thinking of investing in a good support system.

Well done! Refreshing to see someone get it right the first time ;)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Ball heads: There are no good, inexpensive ball heads. Good ones that at about $250, give or take. You will need both kinds so buy the lower priced one first. A good pan/tilt head can be had for $50.

Reversible center columns are great for field macro photography with the camera up side down. or with Bogen's "3d head" and the cara right sized up.

As for the QR plate. Bogen has them built into the heads. Standardize if you can on one Bogen design if you can. That said I have both kinds and it is not that much work to swap plates as it only is done what you swap heads

blashphemy

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2006
I personally have a 055XPROB with a 488RC2 head - and I love it. It fits my needs perfectly as it would have for the OP if he wanted to save some money (come on, the 18-200 lens isn't exactly a heavy lens).

If you really want to do right by a tripod, then you shouldn't be spending less than $1,000. As a student, not only do I not have that kind of money, I'd rather spend it on some decent glass instead that the tripod is really quite useless without. What I realized is, for the few times I'm going to need my tripod, I'm only going to be using it with lighter glass for the near and not too far off future, so it didn't make any sense to save up for an uber-tripod. If ever I get the kind of funds to be able to buy some pro telephoto glass, then I'll have the money to buy the appropriate tripod too.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Heavier tripods with thicker legs are beneficial for photography because they're more stable, particularly when it's windy outside or you're on ground that vibrates a bit (standing on a bridge watching cars pass by).

So much for the common argument of you should get carbon fiber so it can absorb said vibrations! I think tripods and lenses are two areas really prone to gear heads, heck photography in general is so you get a lot of justification type responses so the gear heads can feel better about their purchases.

I have an $8 mini tripod from wally world that I use in a pinch for my D90 + 70-300VR, which gets the job done! Sure it sucks to adjust the angle/position and doesn't have any fancy features but it holds the camera quite securely.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I have an $8 mini tripod from wally world that I use in a pinch for my D90 + 70-300VR, which gets the job done! Sure it sucks to adjust the angle/position and doesn't have any fancy features but it holds the camera quite securely.

There is a full moon Monday. If the weather is clear, give it your best shot and post the results here. It will be immediately obvious if your tripod gets the job done or not.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So much for the common argument of you should get carbon fiber so it can absorb said vibrations! I think tripods and lenses are two areas really prone to gear heads, heck photography in general is so you get a lot of justification type responses so the gear heads can feel better about their purchases.

True. "Carbon fiber" does sound cooler to a gearhead. Don't get me wrong though. If you're trekking somewhere for 8 hours, the carbon-fiber tripod that's easy to carry is going to be better than a massive beast of a tripod, especially if you don't use the heavy tripod.

The ideal "tri"pod is shaped like a cube, made of heavy rock, is immovable, and yet will magically become as light as a feather when you pick it up. There's no such thing, so you just have to balance things out based on your needs.

The 055XProB is a lot heavier than my 190XProB, since it has thicker (more stable) legs. The legs on both tripods have 3 sections, which is typical for stable tripods. I thought that perhaps I wouldn't always have my car with me when I used my tripod, so the lighter option was better. I chose the 190XProB instead. I didn't want one of the lightweight Manfrotto Modo tripods, or any of the cheaper, flimsier ones because they have 4-section legs (fewer sections = more stable), and may not support a D300 + 70-200 mm f/2.8 if I ever purchase one.

But anyway, in terms of steadiness, using a tripod is better than not using one at all, so it's probably better to buy both a heavy and light tripod. Always use the stronger, heavier one unless you know you can't carry it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.