Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
My tripod shots:
Self Woodworking
_MG_1656-3.jpg

That is a really nice shot. The framing, lighting and exposure all came together well.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I'll agree with the points made above. I shoot well over half the time with a tripod. I like shooting ISO 100 or 200 and find that most places are too dark to shoot handheld.

I used a Velbon El Carmagne 630 (graphite) and an Acratech gv2 ballhead (graphite). This is great because I can hike with these for hours even though I'm well out of my youth. It is so wonderful to be able to point the camera and just take the photo and not worry about any camera shake.

These are taken with a Canon 40D.

The forest picture was taken a few weeks ago here in California. It was a 15s exposure. I wasn't after the water effect, it was a dark, cloudy day deep in the forest and I had a polaroid filter on to cut the glare on the plants.

The newt photo was a 1.3s exposure, f/8, 214mm. Glad the little guy held still for a minute or so while fussed about taking a bunch of different exposures.

Attachments

• California.jpg
    California.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Newt.jpg
    Newt.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 82

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
How did you ever do that? 120 exposures, did you use a cable to a computer? And how did you stack the photos? Photoshop? What command? Did it just add them or average them somehow?

Well, the easiest way to do it would be to get a remote release with the ability to lock the release down. Then set your camera for 30 second exposures. Then set the camera up where you want it to point, make sure it is focused and then lock the shutter release. Then the pictures can be manipulated in photoshop. There are some programs for PC that do the work for you, but I use a MAC, so i did it all by hand. Loaded each frame into a new layer in a photoshop document and set each layer (except for the bottome one) to "lighten". Voila. Done!

I actually did this one by connecting my camera to my netbook. Then I used the DSLR Remote app on my iphone to control my camera and watch the shots role by while I sat on the couch with my wife! After i thought I had taken enough pictures, i did the above post processing steps.

Let me know if you need more info! It's actualyl much easier than it sounds.

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Well, the easiest way to do it would be to get a remote release with the ability to lock the release down. Then set your camera for 30 second exposures. Then set the camera up where you want it to point, make sure it is focused and then lock the shutter release. Then the pictures can be manipulated in photoshop. There are some programs for PC that do the work for you, but I use a MAC, so i did it all by hand. Loaded each frame into a new layer in a photoshop document and set each layer (except for the bottome one) to "lighten". Voila. Done!

I actually did this one by connecting my camera to my netbook. Then I used the DSLR Remote app on my iphone to control my camera and watch the shots role by while I sat on the couch with my wife! After i thought I had taken enough pictures, i did the above post processing steps.

Let me know if you need more info! It's actualyl much easier than it sounds.

now i just bought the 190XB tripod , with a 496 RC2 head, is that any good?

also, is using a remote really worth it? like a camera remote to click the shutter since its already on a tripod? cause i can't wait for summer time, i'm gonna try those star trails with long exposure, and just take a ton of more night shots.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
is using a remote really worth it? like a camera remote to click the shutter since its already on a tripod?

I'd say so. It's easy to move a camera by clicking the shutter, and even a tiny movement will affect pin-sharpness... which is the reason you used a tripod in the first place. I've just broken my cable release, and I'm waiting for a new one in the post. In the meantime, I'm using the self-timer for shooting: not ideal, but better than tripping the shutter with a finger, I think...

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I'd say so. It's easy to move a camera by clicking the shutter, and even a tiny movement will affect pin-sharpness... which is the reason you used a tripod in the first place. I've just broken my cable release, and I'm waiting for a new one in the post. In the meantime, I'm using the self-timer for shooting: not ideal, but better than tripping the shutter with a finger, I think...

Agree 100%.
I have the Canon RC-1, http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Wireles...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257537611&sr=8-1 , about $21 shipped in USA, it's always on my camera strap there and ready to use.
Best $20 upgrade for sharpness and other, I've used it countless times.
41YJM7YWQ2L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
I don't have any images to add to this thread, but I'm just getting into tripod mode.

One of the problems I had with using a tripod before was the hassle of using it. I had a cheap head which wasn't easy to use and the plate that came with it was bulky. So I didn't keep the plate attached and whenever I considered using a tripod I had to attach the plate to my camera body which just added an extra step. One more excuse to not bother.

I just got a Markins head with one of their plates. Tiny footprint--so small I now just keep it attached. While it may seem minor, this small little improvement (along with the ease of use of the new head) has made all the difference. Now I don't see it as an ordeal to use my tripod--it's now easy to both attach my camera and adjust it once it's attached. This one small little change has reversed my stance on tripods. It's now no longer an effort. Haven't yet reached the point where I'm willing to travel on vacation with it, but I'm looking forward to shooting here at home. Now I just need to find some free time...

Great images in this thread. They have served to get me even more excited to get out there and shoot.

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Agree 100%.
I have the Canon RC-1, http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Wireles...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257537611&sr=8-1 , about $21 shipped in USA, it's always on my camera strap there and ready to use.
Best $20 upgrade for sharpness and other, I've used it countless times.
41YJM7YWQ2L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

sooo i actually might get that remote, i checked canonusa.com, it said it was compatible with the t1i..i like that it has the range of 16ft..is that how far usually it will work?

i probably won't get that far, but will be good for light painting with long exposures.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
sooo i actually might get that remote, i checked canonusa.com, it said it was compatible with the t1i..i like that it has the range of 16ft..is that how far usually it will work?

i probably won't get that far, but will be good for light painting with long exposures.

I think it does work from that far or maybe from even further away. I saw a picture that a guy took using one of these where he was his own model in a photo of an airborne mountain bike rider. I use a cabled release myself, so I can't say from experience what the range of the remote one actually is. The cabled ones go for about $5 on eBay.

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
I think it does work from that far or maybe from even further away. I saw a picture that a guy took using one of these where he was his own model in a photo of an airborne mountain bike rider. I use a cabled release myself, so I can't say from experience what the range of the remote one actually is. The cabled ones go for about $5 on eBay.

it does seem really useful. soo i'm pretty excited on getting one in the near future since it is only 20bucks on amazon. i'll probably use it a lot and try to see a difference when using it or not. but it will definitely come in handy when i want to be in my own pictures and do cool shots.

and woohoo for my tripod coming in the mail!!

190XB with a 496 RC2 head.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
The RC-1 works exactly as far as spec, and not 1' farther. When I was taking family group shots had to adjust the tripod closer to be within range of the RC-1.
This also taken with tripod + RC-1, 6 sec exposure. My home "Holiday postcard".
_MG_3821.jpg

For ref, here is the RC-1 attached to strap, always there when you need it.
IMG_4798.JPG

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
The RC-1 works exactly as far as spec, and not 1' farther. When I was taking family group shots had to adjust the tripod closer to be within range of the RC-1.
This also taken with tripod + RC-1, 6 sec exposure. My home "Holiday postcard".
_MG_3821.jpg

this thread has got me excited to recieve my tripod in the mail..hurry up UPS!!!!!

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
RHVC59 and TheReef, these are such superb shots! I just spent a lot of time pouring over each one.

Now if this grey blanket of clouds over me would just go away, I could go out and do something with my new tripod. :::fingers crossed:::

Phrasikleia Thank You so much for the feedback. It means quite a bit to me, as I am an admirer of your work!

I was going to chime n on the value of the Mono-pod as well, I used one this past summer to get sports shots of the little league team my daughter's significant other was coaching. I gave them all the shots, and they made DVD's for each of the kids on the team. Anyway the Mono-pod sure made it easier to anticipate the shot, and to hold the camera up with out as much wrist fatigue. It was a fun project that I may try again if they come back from school for the summer and they coach a team again. It got me out to watch a few games, and I think the kids and their parents actually appreciated the effort.:)

I would post a shot, but I did not get releases, so I'm not sure if it would be appropriate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.