Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
bousozoku said:
Well, I've pretty much decided on Bogen - Manfrotto 3021BP legs and 322RC2 quick release head. They're around $250 but it looks like a good combination. I've tried the quick release head in person and like it a lot although it seems a bit heavy duty for me.

Thanks for the opinions! It does help.

You can never get too much support.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
bousozoku said:
I've tried the quick release head in person and like it a lot although it seems a bit heavy duty for me.

Thanks for the opinions! It does help.

Ball heads are nice if you are tracking a moving subject like wildlife but they are not so fun to use if you are doing landscape or architecture (things the don't move) In the latter case it is nice to be able to fine tune one axis at a time. Set the tilt using a buble level and so on.
You can't use a bubble level on a ball head. You can't track an animal using a three axis head. That's why the heads interchange.

That 3021 legs should outlast your camera system.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
personally I found the manfrotto 055MF3 (which was fine as far as weight cap.) was too unstable with the long glass I use (300/2.8, now 200/2.0 with TCs) so I sold it in favor of a much more stable Gitzo G1329MK2 CF tripod.

Ideally I'd be using a Sachtler tripod. I'm not rich though. I picked up the Gitzo at <2/3 the retail price on ebay from someone up the state.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Sinsinnati said:
I currently have this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1058188139811&skuId=5656382&type=product

It is a Sunpak 6400UT. It extends up to 63 inches and weighs about 3.3 pounds. Is there anything lighter and just as sturdy? I am pretty mobile through many of the cities I visit and I would love to have something lighter that has a shoulder strap to transport.

Thanks.

I don't relate the word "sturdy" to any tripod I've seen at Best Buy. You can get carrying bags and shoulder straps for tripods at good camera stores or online. Sturdy is in the eye of the beholder, but I recently switched up from a tripod that was fine for my medium format gear, but wouldn't hold my long telephoto steady enough- it's made significant difference, even though it's about twice as big. Typically, lighter == less steady, unless you're comparing aluminum or wood to carbon fiber.

Sinsinnati

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
U.S.A.
Not really looking to play semantics. I am just enquiring about a tripod that is less then 3 lbs, taller then 63 inches that will hold my D80 with lens for under $150. If anyone has a good recommendation I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.