Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
I'm trying to import my old iPhoto library(OS 10.6.8) to Ventura 13.6.1 Photos. When I open the Photos App on my Mac Studio I pressed the Option key and choose library I get this message in the attached screen shot.

I mainly want to import all the pictures and videos. I hadn't created any other libraries within iPhoto.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 10.58.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 10.58.32 PM.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 100

RhetTbull

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
iPhoto is not supported on Ventura and the conversion process to convert iPhoto to Photos no longer works. I can think of 3 options to fix this:

1. Open the library on an older Mac and convert to Photos then open the converted Photos app on Ventura.
2. Use PowerPhotos, a commercial Mac app, to convert the library from iPhoto to Photos. PowerPhotos purports to be able to do this though I've not personally tested it.
3. Use osxphotos, a free open-source command line tool, to export all the photos from iPhoto then import those into a new Photos library. (disclaimer: I'm the author of osxphotos)

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
iPhoto is not supported on Ventura and the conversion process to convert iPhoto to Photos no longer works. I can think of 3 options to fix this:

1. Open the library on an older Mac and convert to Photos then open the converted Photos app on Ventura.
2. Use PowerPhotos, a commercial Mac app, to convert the library from iPhoto to Photos. PowerPhotos purports to be able to do this though I've not personally tested it.
3. Use osxphotos, a free open-source command line tool, to export all the photos from iPhoto then import those into a new Photos library. (disclaimer: I'm the author of osxphotos)
I tried converting iPhotos on an older Mac running Mojave and it got hung up at 24%. I then opened the iPhotos app and dragged all the photos into a folder on an external HDD. I then opened Photos on the new Mac running Ventura and File > Import and selected the the new folder. It worked but it seems to have missed a photo or 2.

How well does osxphotos work for this? Would this be a better option than the one I tried with putting all the photos into a folder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.