Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mykoljay

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I'm hearing both sides.

Anyone know whether the WIFI + 3G version includes Assisted GPS (like on the original iphone) or GPS with A-GPS (like on the 3G and 3GS)?

This would be very important to me since I'd like to use this in my car.

JonboyDC

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
Assisted GPS is true GPS. The first iPhone did not have assisted GPS, it didn't have any form of GPS -- it just had the ability to roughly triangulate location from cell phone towers. Assisted GPS uses cell tower triangulation in conjunction with GPS to get a faster lock on your position.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Likely 3rd party solutions will come in March-June. They can do GPS through a GPS 30 pin connector or via BT.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'm hearing both sides.

Anyone know whether the WIFI + 3G version includes Assisted GPS (like on the original iphone) or GPS with A-GPS (like on the 3G and 3GS)?

This would be very important to me since I'd like to use this in my car.

It couldn't be Assisted GPS if if wasn't GPS first.:eek: The original iPhone didn't have Assisted GPS. It had cell phone triangulation (which is just the Assisted part). You can't say GPS unless you use the Global Positioning Satellites (GPS)

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Yes, per the specs on Apple's website the iPad + 3G has Assisted GPS.

;)
screenshot_01_10.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.