Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
Can we talk about how insanely great (yeah, I went there) True Tone is?

I had to switch to my MacBook Pro/iPhone every few minutes during the setup process of my new iPad Pro to get two-factor authentication codes, and holy cow is it a major difference. I didn't realize just how stark all of the displays around me are until now. I think it has ruined me forever.

People aren't going to run out and buy iPads because of it, but it isn't hard to imagine a future where all displays have this feature.

Reactions: bensisko

BitSlap

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
i am not into the yellowish look, i like my whites bright and crisp. I am glad they give the ability to turn it on or off.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Let's go True Tone, Let's go! Clap! clap! Chant it with me! Ok that was maybe going a bit too far, lol. I will sit down now.
[doublepost=1459457859][/doublepost]
i am not into the yellowish look, i like my whites bright and crisp. I am glad they give the ability to turn it on or off.

Well that's the thing, it doesn't really look yellowy because the colors pop so much with the bigger color gamut. It's just something you have to see, go look at it in the store and see what you think.

Reactions: Skika and gewawd

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I'm really excited about True Tone ... I'm kind of surprised others don't seem to care so much.
The screen tech is one of the main reasons I upgraded from iPad Air 1. Can't wait to play with mine.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
Innovation is a bit generous, the feature has existed on competing tablets for years (Galaxy Tab S etc.), but its a great feature none the less.

Honestly didn't know that. Kudos to Samsung or whoever initially invented it.
[doublepost=1459465830][/doublepost]
Yeah but because Apple did it, it's now an innovation.

I just hadn't had any exposure to it until now. I don't really care who invented it. It is a great feature and I wish all of my other displays had it.

Reactions: bensisko

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I expected to disable it immediately, but it really is a subtle accent that makes a big difference. I was setting it up in my room today with the sun shining in, but at desk under a yellowish light. I didn't even realize it was on until it gave me an option to toggle it on the setup screen. I was astonished how shrill and blue it looked. The yellow adjustments really do give it a subtly home-y type look like paper.

Honestly, unless you're doing art or photography related tasks, I think this is something that could be appreciated greatly if given an opportunity, but some people won't like it. I always found the recent iPad displays a bit harsh in dim areas, this makes a big difference. (But may get confused with Nightshift by many people.)

mgipe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
CA
Night shift is much more yellow.
So far, in one day's use, I really like True Tone. It looks very natural, and it's not obvious that the color temperature has been shifted until you turn it off. Then you see how harsh the normal iPad display is.

Reactions: CE3

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
Is it much different than night shift/flux?

Yes - it is more about changing the warmth of the colors on the screen to match your surroundings. It is a subtle effect in some cases and more dramatic in others depending on the environment. It is an aesthetic/readability feature.

Night Shift is about aggressively reducing blue light at the expense of aesthetics to be easier on the eyes.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I checked it out and tinkered around with the iPP 9.7"... I HATED it, so I flipped it off and the coolest thing was watching the color transition back to normal. Honestly if I wanted the color to better match my surroundings I'd grab my sketchbook or notepad and use them. I bought the iPP so I could sketch on a light and white background at all times. I also noticed the "better brightness and colors" to not be true, (atleast not with the model I was testing) unless they were saying the brightness and color would be better than the Air 2, okay then yeah it is better, but the iPP 12.9" still has the brightest and best display of an iOS device i've seen. But for those who do like it, cool I'm glad it works well for you. :)

Kal.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Tim Cook: "What can we do about the constant complaining about yellow iPad screens?"

Jony Ive: "Turn it into an exclusive feature of a new iPad that people will demand on every future iPad?"

Tim Cook: "This is why you get the big bucks! Let's go get a pizza!"

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Depends on imagery. Most images barely have a thousand or so colours in them regardless of the gamut of your display. The human eye can't see anywhere close to the full gamut of even sRGB (as trichromats we see up to around 10 million colours, tetrachromats see 10 times more). Gamuts basically gives you access to wider or smaller palettes, not a guarantee that your eyes can actually see '16 million eye popping colors' as some manufacturers like to write in their marketing. My favourite recent line is when they say you'll be able to see '1 billion' colours when the 4K monitor only has 6.8 million pixels.

A wide gamut is only truly essential when the workflow from camera to media involves colours that are beyond the range of sRGB. You also have to be careful that your monitor isn't artificially saturating colours if you are involved with these kind of workflows otherwise you're not getting an accurate depiction of the image's colour.

LasersGoPewPew

macrumors 604
Sep 12, 2014
PDX
I didn't think much of true tone when I first heard about it but it's actually pretty nice now that I'm using it.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Tim Cook: "What can we do about the constant complaining about yellow iPad screens?"

Jony Ive: "Turn it into an exclusive feature of a new iPad that people will demand on every future iPad?"

Tim Cook: "This is why you get the big bucks! Let's go get a pizza!"

That's pretty funny.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Been using it all afternoon and evening and really like it so far. Definitely a little easier on the eyes, I think. I'll need to use for a few more days in various types of lighting to really decide if I like it. But for now, I am pleased.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I'm really interested in it. I thought I would hate night shift because I really hate the auto brightness stuff and most visual gadgetry on TV displays like motion smoothing etc... but I actually really do like it. I also have noticed a difference at night as far as going to sleep at the same time more consistently and quickly. So I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on true tone. Haven't seen it but it does sound interesting.

MacFinnley

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2014
Munich, Germany
Posted this today in another thread, but here again:

I was in the Apple Store and got my hands on the new 9.7 iPad Pro and I must say: the True Tone feature is absolutely amazing. After I turned it off I couldn't believe how we could live without it for years. I just wanted to say that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.