Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I really like the True Tone a lot. It makes the screen much easier on the eyes.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Apples marketing department is what I would call innovative. They better be paying these guys millions, everyone eats it up.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I've really been enjoying the TrueTone as well. I'll probably use it all the time unless I'm editing photos or drawing/painting where accurate color is critical.

It's wonderful reading a textbook / novel on the couch or checking something from my desk at work, though.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is it much different than night shift/flux?

I think the two techs are related. Night Shift seems to be more based on time of day rather than ambient light.

I recently started using Flux on my MacBook Air, and it really does make a difference at night. I no longer want the bright blues of the display at night... I immediately enable Flux when in downtime mode. If I go to do some real work, though... it's back to the full spectrum.

Flux has also got me introduced in Dark Mode a bit more.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
What's the difference between the Night Shift feature in iOS 9.3 and the True Tone display on the iPad Pro 9.7"?

mgipe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
CA
What's the difference between the Night Shift feature in iOS 9.3 and the True Tone display on the iPad Pro 9.7"?
True Tone makes subtle changes to the color temperature to blend with the ambient lighting.

Night shift cuts the value of blue in the image to counteract the body's physiological response to blue light that makes it difficult to fall asleep after a period of viewing a computer screen.

Ture Tone's effect is subtle, and you probably won't notice it in action unless you turn it off and see the sudden change. It does, however, make viewing the screen under different lighting conditions easier on the eyes, in my opinion.

With night shift on, the screen has a definite yellow tinge which will be very apparent. This is intentional. For those of us who use the iPad to read or answer emails before going to bed, the bluish light of an LCD screen supposedly interferes with the transition into sleep. Myself, I rarely have trouble falling asleep, especially at my desk. :p

anthb

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
Posted this today in another thread, but here again:

I was in the Apple Store and got my hands on the new 9.7 iPad Pro and I must say: the True Tone feature is absolutely amazing. After I turned it off I couldn't believe how we could live without it for years. I just wanted to say that.

Ditto. Going from an iPad Air I was "will I, won't I" until i went to the store today and I do like True Tone (one of the reasons I bought one). It was more noticeable under the bright store lighting than my yellowish halogens in the room i'm in at home though.

Rego

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2016
Good to have the option, but it is just way too yellow for me.

Yep...
The lighting in my home just results in the white values being completely off and dull.
I had to turn it off

One thing I find really annoying is the screen at default is closer to 5000k scale rather than the 7500k, so you're either getting a really cool cold white with it off or an overly reddish unpredictable tone with true tone on.

Personally I'll take properly calibrated colors with a slightly colder white than a ever shifting white balance and shifting color values.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.