Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Looks like this just got released and could possibly be the MagSafe duo alternative a lot of us have been waiting for. Comes with a 20W USB charger with international adapters

Definitely going to check this out!

IMG_0601.jpeg

Vangeli

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
According to regulatory documents it has a 30w power adapter, which makes sense as that’d be required for full MagSafe + fast Watch charging speeds. Wonder if they did a 20w switcheroo after getting approval or simply made a mistake in the listing—reflected on both their site and Apple’s.

Rti2Sqw.jpg

hardwickj

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
Funny, I actually stumbled upon it on Apples website and assumed it was an older device that didn't support fast charging. I googled it and saw this thread minutes after it was created.

Anyways, I've got one on the way that'll arrive on Friday.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Cool design, fast charges both devices, charger and even travel adapters included … looks like a winner to me!

Vangeli

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Picked mine up a little earlier.

YLKRNnC.jpg

nOhOPkQ.jpg

It’s lovely! Aluminum shells, soft vegan leather interior and strap, about the size of an AirPods Pro case—no major complaints with the design. Have some comparison photos of it with the Duo here as well.

BK0qMWv.jpg

n8pAEmg.jpg

MKBVzCh.jpg

Also can confirm the power adapter is indeed 30w and that both Twelve South and Apple have 20w in error on their product pages. The adapter is nice, small like Apple’s 20w and I prefer how the international adapters twist on and off instead of the usual bulkier, flimsy feeling sliding clips. The included pouch isn’t much of a value add though, being a very basic velvet drawstring bag and not a proper travel organizer. Probably my only major complaint with the overall package here.

llHIaya.jpg

While it’s a very compelling Duo replacement for most folks, I may stick with the Duo for now as the ButterFly being a little thicker and less likely to stay in place does disrupt the perfect balance of my current everyday carry.

k82AlFG.jpg

Last edited:

mrzwiggy

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
@Vangeli Are you able to weigh the MagSafe Duo against the Butterfly? All published weights (~10oz) for MagSafe Duo say it's heavier than the Butterfly, despite the thick aluminum build.

I picked one up as soon as it was released and have been using it during an Asia trip. I didn't bother taking the international USB-C adapter kit, as I already have a more compact 30W adapter and dedicated universal adapter. I really wish they'd make the ButterFly available unbundled (without the bag, cord and adapters) at a lower cost. But soon we'll hopefully see lower cost Qi2 options that charge at 15W without the need for costly MagSafe certification.

In my testing, it's possible to use it in kickstand mode for StandBy visualizations while also charging a watch, but the weight imbalance makes it unstable. This is because the weight of the devices will break the stacked magnet strength. (In the photo below, there's no phone in the case, so it stays up without the need to balance.) However, if you grab your phone while it's in kickstand mode, the charger will fall down, partially negating its nighttime usefulness.

ADCreHe9aXK0h2BnpNK8wkbWLyGKwy7Csp2mGARm37XE1okygy-Peay3DpuQS9hLJTt2b0mINld1HdETpKytyFV9QR-6PIZ2ztwFW6PUWJHikLBswX8fqYAgY4NUaYXrvSoS4f1ymRoCVuQxE6rHUGM7uQzkqgDOY0ohrjgKpm5sJUzsgsUNmtvWCw-kgy_I67Ah0LDUoVKOu7VscQHXt7fbKM95jyo_ieQnoxwpT1EwdA-Vh8P0whZR9icFwLXFb0DVgVd6sBxBnzVL5FefvR7VE9HxWkf8A2xLHrmen-HuuI-BFD06tm0oLPgwfqhNsxunqf1yfGvx2cxL31frdzQmjPSMYSdv_pEJN_CGRpGeHArsoWLTBydTXnFbb1G7u41EOWKfpQNklHE9pRVAImc6mGcftzrn-6Muvya3qSdosHGDXQgiQJl28rI958WbgyfkC1YJMGFqUpJelozqOAH5joirr4vO2RePoR-9KDjtQiLf5W7y_ri6dWDa_2JsQ7z1vd-oM4RRboPW81bAdzOM0VrnUV-tt0O4KlHdKnY-hxU0nCFNqTa_CwIRVBfgg0loJ9cZ6l0JFwuWd3MZfnfSXXNtvaajpWXDNBDrh52VFceaNhZMge03udO_PWVtZIf6qebEK-I4RAOqnOJvuDxABRacVuvYOKVfhwr6p7OgVdrLCSzv8dL6wdTERsJqVxxbHlbpVqXhwn3_VShgsDnxOvHIut1geUjGQGe3vUceJ71InqQv_rlQyAbUtpiRWrVjPtTAWlsa_9FDThubf2OR4aiJg_mZPhK3l0LJa9BZXUX2UvdsTLuLLsw_SaCdajY9PLvMdT4UeaiFTYkeu82ClzU5BNGf76x7QO0BFzVKv0rVFsorwf9XnnlCKNIjrtYY1BaNcvo=w1416-h1888-s-no-gm

Overall, I've found it satisfying to use, though I wish it were a bit lighter and thinner. USB-C power means I can (and often did) temporarily unplug the ButterFly to fast charge my iPhone 15 @ max speeds.

Reactions: Lobwedgephil

Easygoingal

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
I've been on the lookout for a travel 2-in-1 charger with Apple certified MagSafe and Apple Watch fast charging for some time. I already own the Anker Cube 3-in-1 charger, but was looking for something more compact. Earlier this week, I purchased the Twelve South Butterfly 2 from the Apple Store. However, after initial testing, it seems likely that I'll be returning it for a couple of reasons:

• The charging speeds for both MagSafe and Apple Watch are not as fast as expected. Comparing it to my Anker cube and the Belkin 3-in-1, the Twelve South falls short. Given its $130 price tag, I anticipated certified charging at 15W for MagSafe and 5W for the Apple Watch to be comparable. Unfortunately, it didn't measure up to other certified units.
  • As mentioned in a previous post, the standby mode is quite unstable. The metal materials tend to rub against each other without sufficient friction or traction, making it challenging to achieve a stable position. It requires a considerable amount of adjustment to find stability.
In light of these factors, I find it difficult to justify spending $130 on a slower charger that appears to lack stability.

Reactions: Rodya84

Rodya84

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
Thanks for the reviews, hoping for Qi2 alternatives to come out soon that are a bit more stable.

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
@Vangeli Are you able to weigh the MagSafe Duo against the Butterfly? All published weights (~10oz) for MagSafe Duo say it's heavier than the Butterfly, despite the thick aluminum build.

I picked one up as soon as it was released and have been using it during an Asia trip. I didn't bother taking the international USB-C adapter kit, as I already have a more compact 30W adapter and dedicated universal adapter. I really wish they'd make the ButterFly available unbundled (without the bag, cord and adapters) at a lower cost. But soon we'll hopefully see lower cost Qi2 options that charge at 15W without the need for costly MagSafe certification.

In my testing, it's possible to use it in kickstand mode for StandBy visualizations while also charging a watch, but the weight imbalance makes it unstable. This is because the weight of the devices will break the stacked magnet strength. (In the photo below, there's no phone in the case, so it stays up without the need to balance.) However, if you grab your phone while it's in kickstand mode, the charger will fall down, partially negating its nighttime usefulness.

ADCreHe9aXK0h2BnpNK8wkbWLyGKwy7Csp2mGARm37XE1okygy-Peay3DpuQS9hLJTt2b0mINld1HdETpKytyFV9QR-6PIZ2ztwFW6PUWJHikLBswX8fqYAgY4NUaYXrvSoS4f1ymRoCVuQxE6rHUGM7uQzkqgDOY0ohrjgKpm5sJUzsgsUNmtvWCw-kgy_I67Ah0LDUoVKOu7VscQHXt7fbKM95jyo_ieQnoxwpT1EwdA-Vh8P0whZR9icFwLXFb0DVgVd6sBxBnzVL5FefvR7VE9HxWkf8A2xLHrmen-HuuI-BFD06tm0oLPgwfqhNsxunqf1yfGvx2cxL31frdzQmjPSMYSdv_pEJN_CGRpGeHArsoWLTBydTXnFbb1G7u41EOWKfpQNklHE9pRVAImc6mGcftzrn-6Muvya3qSdosHGDXQgiQJl28rI958WbgyfkC1YJMGFqUpJelozqOAH5joirr4vO2RePoR-9KDjtQiLf5W7y_ri6dWDa_2JsQ7z1vd-oM4RRboPW81bAdzOM0VrnUV-tt0O4KlHdKnY-hxU0nCFNqTa_CwIRVBfgg0loJ9cZ6l0JFwuWd3MZfnfSXXNtvaajpWXDNBDrh52VFceaNhZMge03udO_PWVtZIf6qebEK-I4RAOqnOJvuDxABRacVuvYOKVfhwr6p7OgVdrLCSzv8dL6wdTERsJqVxxbHlbpVqXhwn3_VShgsDnxOvHIut1geUjGQGe3vUceJ71InqQv_rlQyAbUtpiRWrVjPtTAWlsa_9FDThubf2OR4aiJg_mZPhK3l0LJa9BZXUX2UvdsTLuLLsw_SaCdajY9PLvMdT4UeaiFTYkeu82ClzU5BNGf76x7QO0BFzVKv0rVFsorwf9XnnlCKNIjrtYY1BaNcvo=w1416-h1888-s-no-gm

Overall, I've found it satisfying to use, though I wish it were a bit lighter and thinner. USB-C power means I can (and often did) temporarily unplug the ButterFly to fast charge my iPhone 15 @ max speeds.
Having the phone charge in nighttime display mode and the watch charge at the same time is how I use my anker Cube as well and I feel this use case is a pre-requisite for me for a product such as this. The size of this looks great and very easy to carry (the cube is a bit too big and cumbersome to me) but I really would like to have the phone nightstand mode and the watch simultaneously on and charging. Otherwise, its a deal breaker unfortunately.

techishi

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
US
Can anyone confirm if this resolves the camera bump issue the 14/15 Pro phones had with the MagSafe Duo?

This looks pretty decent, I've been on the hunt for a USB-C MagSafe Duo replacement. I could do without the charger but the included international plugs are a nice touch.

I wonder if Apple is going to update the MagSafe Duo with USB-C, or that ship is sailed and they are letting 3rd parties takeover in light of Qi2.

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
I loved my Magsafe Duo even for the high price. I am a lot on the go and I used it very often. With the chagne to USB C and the Apple Watch Ultra I wanted something new and I wanted to ditch all my Lightning Cables.
I tried the Anker Cube but it is heavy and still quite Big.

When I saw the TS Butterfly announcement I ordered it immediately without thinking about it.
I received it on monday and I am very happy with it. It is very small. Even though it is also pricey you get a least a braided USB-C Cable and a 30w charger with international plugs.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Just received mine. I really like the design, and fits my 15Pro Max just fine. My international travel days are largely over so I really do not need the charger options, but I assume (hope) this will work fine with the very small Anker iQ 30 watt charger.

hofnar

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I was reading that the magnet on the watch charger is generally weak, and the watch has a tendency to fall off when lifted up, (especially the ultra) is this true?

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I loved my Magsafe Duo even for the high price. I am a lot on the go and I used it very often. With the chagne to USB C and the Apple Watch Ultra I wanted something new and I wanted to ditch all my Lightning Cables.
Same. Ever since I got my 15 Pro, I've been wanting to switch as many of my cables to type C and that includes my MagSafe Duo so I've been on the hunt for a potential replacement. The price tag on this is kind of off-putting and the fact that you dont get the true charging capacity is kind of a bummer too.

Can anyone confirm if this resolves the camera bump issue the 14/15 Pro phones had with the MagSafe Duo?

This looks pretty decent, I've been on the hunt for a USB-C MagSafe Duo replacement. I could do without the charger but the included international plugs are a nice touch.

I wonder if Apple is going to update the MagSafe Duo with USB-C, or that ship is sailed and they are letting 3rd parties takeover in light of Qi2.
I think Apple is fine with letting 3rd parties take the lead on a MagSafe Duo replacement. Since their prototype for the all-in-one went up in flames, I think they might view that as a black eye, especially since it was so public. But as much as I love my MagSafe Duo, I have noticed that the 15 Pro's camera does prevent it from making 100% contact with the ring. It's like 98% but still...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.