Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mantronix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Louisiana
I made a post not too long ago asking for opinions on a entry level dlrs camera. Many posters suggested either the Canon Rebel XT or the Nikon D40 for the budget I have. I went to Bestbuy and I was able to try both of them and now I'm on the fence. They are both good cameras and they feel real good in my hands. My only problem is which one I should go with? I'm worried about compatibility issues with OS X and will I have any problems upgrading the lens in the future? :confused:

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Personally i prefer Canon and their lenses, but i hear both are good. I would think that both are equally compatible with OS-X - iPhoto works well, as does Adobe Lightroom....

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Can't make up your mind, eh? :D

All else being equal - do you have any photographer friends? If so, what do they have? It's always nice to (at least potentially) have the option to borrow lenses.

You're not going to have compatibility problems with either camera, and both work great with OS X.

Edit: Since smueboy said "Canon", now I've got to come back and say "Nikon" to balance it out. :D

Macanadian

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2006
BC
... My only problem is which one I should go with? I'm worried about compatibility issues with OS X and will I have any problems upgrading the lens in the future? :confused:

Shouldn't have a problem with compatibility with OS X. I've used the Canon XT digital and uploaded to my Mac. I know other photographers with Nikons and Macs.

I don't see how you can have problems in upgrading in a lens.. Tamron makes lenses for both Canon and Nikon.

Macanadian

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
So - it's a tie - toss a coin!

The idea about friends lenses is a good one though.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If you have friends that have one or the other go with the one that they have, and then you will have the option of borrowing lenses, otherwise, decide based on the lenses, there shouldn't be any compatiblity problems with either. Since I prefer Nikon, I have to tell you to get that, if you don't have friends that use Canon.

Macanadian

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2006
BC
So - it's a tie - toss a coin!

The idea about friends lenses is a good one though.

Heads/ Nikon -- Tails /Canon. if the coin lands on the edge (neither heads or tails) then give up.

I've tossed a coin and came up heads!

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I take it you have NO lenses? Or friends with lenses they dont want? Or your eye on a lens youd like?

The body is secondary to the glass, as the glass is what you really should care about.

I vote for Canon only cuz its all i got!

ps: or old school (OLD school) Polaroid!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Use a card reader when exporting images from the memory card to the computer. The only time there would be any possible issues with compatibility of the OS is when a new camera is released and Apple needs to ensure that iPhoto and Aperture will be able to work with the RAW files.

None of us can make up your mind for you. It's a choice and decision YOU have to make. Since apparently at this point you are not wedded to any one brand, just pick a camera body and kit lens and start shooting! Unless you're planning to build up a significant lens collection right away, first just take the time to learn about photography and your camera before making too much of an investment. Both Nikon and Canon have excellent lenses. In the Canon line there are some older lenses which will not work with the newer film and digital bodies. In the Nikon line, the D40 does not have an internal motor and therefore cannot autofocus with lenses other than the AF-S (silent wave) ones. In spite of this, there are still plenty of lenses from which to choose in both camera manufacturers' lines.

Queequeg

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2007
NH
I would go with the Canon. I have used a couple Canon cameras over the years and they are durable and take quality images. The Canon Rebel I use currently for product shots has made my work life much easier. Great camera for the money. The lens that ships with it (if you opt for that package) is good, but Canon's other lenses are what can make the camera really shine. Their macro lens is excellent, with stunning detail and clarity. They are both of good quality, but I would go with the Canon, I've never had any problems with them. As far as it being Mac compatible, that's no problem. I have only had connectivity issues with PCs, never with a Mac.

SalukiWildcat

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2007
Canon!

Go Canon! You know you want to.......:)

And the idea of using a card reader is great - I wouldn't do it any other way.
And, consider using some workflow importing software like Aperture or Lightroom. Just my $.02

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
If you want to learn about photography, go with the Canon Rebel.

If you want more of an auto camera, go with the Nikon D40.

I went with the Rebel because it has auto bracketing and a lot more AF points.

Also, the Rebel has hard buttons for iso and WB where the D40 have those settings buried in the menus.

Personally, if I had bought the D40 six months ago, I would now be looking into a D50 due to the above limitations.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I've been shopping myself, and I think I'm getting the Nikon. But to be frank, I think you'll be perfectly happy with either - the only real deciding factor would be if you already had lenses. If you don't, toss a coin.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Like Blackadder said, it doesn't matter. I'm getting the D40x, but only because I prefer the way the body feels and I have a lot of friends and contacts who use Nikon. There's nothing wrong with Canon. Get whatever you like, it honestly doesn't matter.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
If you want to learn about photography, go with the Canon Rebel.

If you want more of an auto camera, go with the Nikon D40.

I went with the Rebel because it has auto bracketing and a lot more AF points.

If you want to learn photography, you shouldn't use auto bracketing ;)

I'd go with Nikon because they just rule, but both are good.
Go to a store and handle both cameras, buy the one that feels better.
I, personally, didn't know even where to put my hands when I used a canon, so it's very simple for me.

And don't pay attention to all the pixel measurers with all their ridiculous tests and marketing features (CCD cleaners i'm looking at you :rolleyes:).

Mantronix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Louisiana
If you want to learn photography, you shouldn't use auto bracketing ;)

I'd go with Nikon because they just rule, but both are good.
Go to a store and handle both cameras, buy the one that feels better.
I, personally, didn't know even where to put my hands when I used a canon, so it's very simple for me.

And don't pay attention to all the pixel measurers with all their ridiculous tests and marketing features (CCD cleaners i'm looking at you :rolleyes:).
That was one question I wanted to ask. Will the megapixel difference between the cameras makes a huge difference? As for the features of the cameras I'm not sure what I should be looking for. This will be my 1st venture into the world of DSRL cameras and I striving to do it on a professional level in the years to come like weddings. I want something that will be user friendly for controls/functions so I won't be coming here asking a million questions. :p

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
That was one question I wanted to ask. Will the megapixel difference between the cameras makes a huge difference? As for the features of the cameras I'm not sure what I should be looking for. This will be my 1st venture into the world of DSRL cameras and I striving to do it on a professional level in the years to come like weddings. I want something that will be user friendly for controls/functions so I won't be coming here asking a million questions. :p

Megapixels matter for print size, not picture quality. If you want big posters of your pics then 10MP is the minimum. For anything else 6 is more than enough.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Megapixels matter for print size, not picture quality. If you want big posters of your pics then 10MP is the minimum. For anything else 6 is more than enough.

Yeah, I challenge ANYONE to tell me how having a 10MP camera made him take better pictures OR take pictures he wouldn't have been able to with a 6MP. Oh, and cropping does not count :).

Specially at these sensor sizes, I feel the bigger pixels are more useful than having more of them. The D40 has an astounding high ISO performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.