Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Yeah, I challenge ANYONE to tell me how having a 10MP camera made him take better pictures OR take pictures he wouldn't have been able to with a 6MP. Oh, and cropping does not count :).

For that matter, I'd hazard a guess for most people the limiting factor is their technique and the quality of their glass - their photos on a 10MP sensor don't have any more detail then they would if it was a 6MP sensor.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
For that matter, I'd hazard a guess for most people the limiting factor is their technique and the quality of their glass - their photos on a 10MP sensor don't have any more detail then they would if it was a 6MP sensor.

I love my D50 but I have to admit of some pictures I'd like a poster print, which makes the 6MP kind of the only limiting factor.
As I said, MP are about print size not about quality. I agree with you with most people the limiting factor is skill not the camera or the MP.

What lens is that 18-200mm of yours?

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
Unless you plan on making poster sized prints, I would actually go with the camera that has the lowest Mega Pixel count. More mega pixels just take up more hard drive space, are harder to edit (especially if you don't have the fastest computer), and it makes it harder to actually take sharp photos, because any camera shake at all will show up and be more obvious.

Even though I shoot Nikon, the best advise it to go into a store and handle all of them and decide which feels best in your hands. Also, don't rule out the D50, it is still an excellent camera, which does not lack the AF motor as the D40 does.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
I love my D50 but I have to admit of some pictures I'd like a poster print, which makes the 6MP kind of the only limiting factor.
As I said, MP are about print size not about quality. I agree with you with most people the limiting factor is skill not the camera or the MP.

What lens is that 18-200mm of yours?

I updated my sig after seeing your question - it's the Nikon lens. :D

Try upsampling one or two of your photos to the poster size you want - Photoshop does a pretty good job of interpolating/smoothing. Heck, I've seen poster-size prints from a point-and-shoot that looked reasonably good.

PixelFactory

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Chicago
With higher megapixel count you need good hand holding technique and precise focusing. What may be a sharp image on a 6mp camera could show some blurriness on a 10mp camera. As far as Nikon vs Canon... they are both great cameras. Next time your in the store, try changing the settings, see how comfortable you are when going through the menus. Maybe on camera will seem more logical to you.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I updated my sig after seeing your question - it's the Nikon lens. :D

Try upsampling one or two of your photos to the poster size you want - Photoshop does a pretty good job of interpolating/smoothing. Heck, I've seen poster-size prints from a point-and-shoot that looked reasonably good.

I might just try that, thanks for the tip.

How do you like that lens? I still have the 18-70mm D70 lens that I am more than happy with but a little more reach would be nice.

AbeFroman

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2003
Lenses

Now, if you have a lens from a film Canon Rebel- can you expect it to be %100 compatible? Will autofocus work?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
You guys make it sound as it is significantly more dificult to get blur-free pictures with a 10MP camera. The pictures I have seen from "regular" people of the D80 look really nice. I don't think I have ever noticed any blur.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
How do you like that lens? I still have the 18-70mm D70 lens that I am more than happy with but a little more reach would be nice.

I like it enough that I'm in the process of selling my 18-70. :D To my eye the 18-200 has been at least as sharp as the 18-70; and I must say I loved that lens. The auto-focus might possibly be a tad slower, but not enough to matter - it's still quite fast and accurate. The VR really does give you significantly more flexibility at the long end.

The only thing I don't like is - and this is a minor nit - the maximum aperture jumps up pretty fast. At 18mm it's 3.5, but at 35mm it's already 4.2 and at 50mm it's 4.8.

I've heard a couple second-hand reports that "people have mentioned variable build quality on the 18-200"; but I've never heard anyone that actually owns the lens complain.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
You guys make it sound as it is significantly more dificult to get blur-free pictures with a 10MP camera. The pictures I have seen from "regular" people of the D80 look really nice. I don't think I have ever noticed any blur.

A higher megapixel count WILL NOT cause blurriness or make it more difficult to get blur-free pictures. What some posters meant is that since there is extra resolution any imperfections on the photo will be more visible as they will occupy more pixels.

Now to the OP's question, am sure you won't regret it with either brand. In fact i guarantee that you'll become a fanatic supporter and will feel attached to the brand 5 minutes after you buy it! So since you can't decide over build quality, ergonomics, technology, lenses etc etc then i suggest you buy the one that looks better! :cool:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003

Don't know if I'm one of "you guys" here; but that's certainly not what I've meant. All I meant is that photos taken by regular people with a consumer 10MP camera will likely not possess any higher level of detail than if they'd used a consumer 6MP camera with the same lens.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Don't know if I'm one of "you guys" here; but that's certainly not what I've meant. All I meant is that photos taken by regular people with a consumer 10MP camera will likely not possess any higher level of detail than if they'd used a consumer 6MP camera with the same lens.

No, that wasn't directed at you. Some people just sounded like 10MP will have a higher probabilty of blur. But it has been explained. :)

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Now, if you have a lens from a film Canon Rebel- can you expect it to be %100 compatible? Will autofocus work?

Yes. Any Canon lens in the EF mount will work on any modern Canon SLR, be it digital or film.

Autofocus will not be an issue, provided the light is adequate (ie: expect to have trouble with AF after dusk... but then, that applies to any camera and lens, pretty much. :D)

The only compatibility issue with Canon lenses is EF-S: they will mount only on the 20D, 30D, 300D, 350D, and 400D (as of this writing). They will not mount on any film body, the 5D, or any 1 series body; nor will they mount on the 10D or earlier bodies.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I like it enough that I'm in the process of selling my 18-70. :D To my eye the 18-200 has been at least as sharp as the 18-70; and I must say I loved that lens. The auto-focus might possibly be a tad slower, but not enough to matter - it's still quite fast and accurate. The VR really does give you significantly more flexibility at the long end.

The only thing I don't like is - and this is a minor nit - the maximum aperture jumps up pretty fast. At 18mm it's 3.5, but at 35mm it's already 4.2 and at 50mm it's 4.8.

I've heard a couple second-hand reports that "people have mentioned variable build quality on the 18-200"; but I've never heard anyone that actually owns the lens complain.

Hmm, sounds nice. I am kinda torn right now, I'd be in to buying something end of this year but I don't know yet whether it'll be a D80(or D90 if that is out by then) or a new lens. The D80 would come with a longer reach anyway but those 200mm would sure be nice. Decisions, decisions. :)

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Hmm, sounds nice. I am kinda torn right now, I'd be in to buying something end of this year but I don't know yet whether it'll be a D80(or D90 if that is out by then) or a new lens. The D80 would come with a longer reach anyway but those 200mm would sure be nice. Decisions, decisions. :)

Even if the D80 came with a longer reach, it won't be as high quality as if you were to buy a telephoto lens for around the same price (if that's what your thinking). I'm planning on getting the D80 pretty soon myself :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
That was one question I wanted to ask. Will the megapixel difference between the cameras makes a huge difference?

More megapixels make it more important to have really good technique and really good lenses. They also bring diffraction issues to bear sooner than cameras with larger photosites.

You can do at least 11x14 and put your nose up to the print with 6MP cameras- but most beginning photographers really don't need prints that large, but they do need good technique.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Even if the D80 came with a longer reach, it won't be as high quality as if you were to buy a telephoto lens for around the same price (if that's what your thinking). I'm planning on getting the D80 pretty soon myself :)

I was actually referring to the D80 being 18-135mm as opposed to the 18-70mm I have right now. That's why I meant either the 18-135mm D80 or a 18-200mm lens. Not sure though, but you'll love the D80. My dad has it and it is awesome.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
My vote goes to Nikon, but as I've said before, among others, either camera will allow you to take amazing quality photographs.

Since you're starting fresh, the choice is pretty much a personal one.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
I was actually referring to the D80 being 18-135mm as opposed to the 18-70mm I have right now. That's why I meant either the 18-135mm D80 or a 18-200mm lens. Not sure though, but you'll love the D80. My dad has it and it is awesome.

Ah, gotcha. I've heard the 18-135mm isn't a very impressive lens though, so I think you'd be better off with the 18-200mm.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Ah, gotcha. I've heard the 18-135mm isn't a very impressive lens though, so I think you'd be better off with the 18-200mm.

Not that I don't believe you but do you have any links to reviews of the 18-135mm lens? It's just that I like the way pictures turn out from it, though I haven't seen THAT many pics from it. :)

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Sweet

just got a nikon D80 a short while ago.
amazing.

and compatibility issues are non-existant.
i like nikon, but you can hardly go wrong either way.

D80 is the one for me, and it wasn't one of his choices. I go back to the match needle FTB Canon, still have 2, several mint F-1's, 2 F1N's slew of lenses. I have a Sure Shot SD 900 for my first Digital, but when I go Digital SLR, it's the Nikon D80. You are right, amazing. I've checked everything out there,up to what's current. AWESOME camera.At least for me!

Cheffy D:rolleyes: ave

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
A few months ago I mulled over the same choice. I got the Nikon D40 because of lens/body pricing and concerns over quality of the Canon kit lens and body ergonomics.
Overall, I like Canon colors and quality--I own a few of their compacts--but I'm not fond of their DSLR business practices. It seems to me that they over-charge for bodies, lenses and accessories. They don't even include a hood or pouch with even their $1000+ lenses, for example, and then want $40 for the piece of plastic that all other brands include in the box.
Also, I got the D40 + its good kit lens for less than the price of the Canon 400D body alone (not to mention that the Canon kit lens has a pretty dismal reputation). Finally, the Canon is just not as solid feeling or easy to hold as the Nikon. I'm sure the Canon takes good photos, but the above issues pushed me to get the D40.
The D40 is performing well. I mostly use it with the nice, nice 70-300mm VR, and sometimes with the Sigma 10-20mm. I could use auto-bracketing sometimes, but not often. Lens selection is no problem, since there are plenty of internally driven units available. What I wish it had, though, is the built-in, off-camera wireless flash commander that the D80 has.
I've no religion where cameras are concerned, so I'll probably replace the D40 with a more advanced model (Canon, Nikon..hell, even Sony if it's good) when some new models are released later this summer.

vandi

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2007
Atlanta
Bam

Freebooter hit it right on. although i shoot with the 400D, i am in love with the Nikon D200 i get to use at work. The nikons are strong and easy to hold. the 400D produces amazing photos. Of course i only have experience with THESE TWO cameras and only a handful of glass. No one can touch canon's L series galss, but most of them are worth twice as much as my truck! UGH!:eek: in this case, i would go and hold the two you are playing tug o war with. look at what you want in glass and how many $$ they have. from even my limited experience, i can tell you that you won't be dissapointed in either. plus there are plenty of people with both you can count on for trouble shooting.

Good luck. Happy spending

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.