Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
The first two days, I didn't notice any difference in Safari speed with Private Relay enabled. But starting yesterday, it takes 3-5 seconds for content to start loading. As soon as I disable Private Relay, Safari speed goes back to normal.

The fact that I have to choose between speed or privacy is frustrating.

Same problem in Monterey.

Reactions: Darajavahus

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In my experience with Cloudfare (not talking beta) it does impact speed, even though their app and website (at the time claimed otherwise. I see they no longer make the claim on the website.

I would pick privacy over a few seconds extra of slower speed.

Reactions: akash.nu

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I’m sure it must be dependent on a lot of factors, your connection speed/quality, and the speed/bandwidth/quality from whatever server Apple are using closest to you. Not to mention the websites themselves.

But so far, on my daily webbie activities, I haven’t noticed any meaningful impact on them. Occasionally it seems as if the odd website has a momentary (and I do mean, blink and you miss it) pause before loading. But that’s about it.

Still, there’s a long way to go between Beta 1 and September. So I’m sure, as with many other things, we’ll see improvements before it hits the hands of the masses.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
In my experience with Cloudfare (not talking beta) it does impact speed, even though their app and website (at the time claimed otherwise. I see they no longer make the claim on the website.

I would pick privacy over a few seconds extra of slower speed.
For me it's not been a few seconds of waiting - it's been 20-30s+. Safari will constantly hang (I'm guessing to establish a connection) to the point of unusability sometimes. Longest I waited was about 67 seconds. I'm hoping it's just a beta glitch, and not the performance I should actually expect.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
For me it's not been a few seconds of waiting - it's been 20-30s+. Safari will constantly hang (I'm guessing to establish a connection) to the point of unusability sometimes. Longest I waited was about 67 seconds. I'm hoping it's just a beta glitch, and not the performance I should actually expect.
It is definitely going to be slower than what everyone is used to. People need to adjust their expectations if they want better security. I will gladly wait because of security.

Reactions: akash.nu

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
It is definitely going to be slower than what everyone is used to. People need to adjust their expectations if they want better security. I will gladly wait because of security.
I normally have no issue too, but waiting over a minute for my connection is too much, especially if I was needing to access time sensitive information.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

That really is extreme. Over a minute is a ridiculous time to wait. I’ve been fortunate not to have experienced anything that frustrates me so far, but I wonder if it’s supplier (Apple, or whoever the other company is - I’d put money on Amazon, but who knows) dependent, or the website.

For the website that took over a minute, of its one you’re able/willing to share, I’d be curious to give it a go.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
That really is extreme. Over a minute is a ridiculous time to wait. I’ve been fortunate not to have experienced anything that frustrates me so far, but I wonder if it’s supplier (Apple, or whoever the other company is - I’d put money on Amazon, but who knows) dependent, or the website.

For the website that took over a minute, of its one you’re able/willing to share, I’d be curious to give it a go.
Sure - MacRumors.com was one of them ?.

It also wasn’t just network issues with Safari - it was with everything.

I’m chalking it up to it being some kind of bug that doesn’t affect everyone. I’ll give it a test again when Beta 2 drops.

Reactions: davidg4781

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Remember it’s still a beta, the earliest beta in-fact, so don’t take any problems you currently have as long term.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Is it not only using US nodes in the current beta? Might impact performance depending on your location.

Jun 7, 2021
Worth mentioning that if you finally get results after about 20 seconds or so, odds are it fell back to your normal connection. This can be verified by trying to find your IP on Google before and after this behaviour, or trying to replicate it with that Google search. It’ll flip between a mix of ipv4 address, ipv6 address, and your address from time to time when private relay isn’t being performant enough.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
When you’re putting everything through what is effectively a VPN, it’s going to slow down a little. The other option is to turn it off.
I have used VPN through Hotspot Shield and I've never noticed speed difference. macrumors always loads instantly. Streaming is instant as well.

I'm guessing this is just a beta thing.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
I have used VPN through Hotspot Shield and I've never noticed speed difference. macrumors always loads instantly. Streaming is instant as well.

I'm guessing this is just a beta thing.
You’re always gonna lose bandwidth anytime you use a VPN and the farther the server location the less your speeds will be. Run a speed test with and without a VPN and you’ll see. Just cuz something loads instantly doesn’t mean there’s no bandwidth loss. It just means you have enough bandwidth to load a website or stream the content.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Slow down is the best case scenario for me cause after opening private relay, a handful of my frequently accessed website just won’t load anymore, no matter how long I Wait. Some are for my work, so I have to turn it off for now.

ChronicLynx

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
There’s definitely a bug of some sort happening occasionally, if only to select individuals. I’ve had it work well at times and basically freeze up entirely at other times (over a minute if I’m lucky). Turned it off for now. It’ll get better I’m sure.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
The first two days, I didn't notice any difference in Safari speed with Private Relay enabled. But starting yesterday, it takes 3-5 seconds for content to start loading. As soon as I disable Private Relay, Safari speed goes back to normal.

The fact that I have to choose between speed or privacy is frustrating.

Same problem in Monterey.
Works mostly fine considering first beta. If it hangs I close safari and reopen it. Usually works.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I bet Apple hasn't ramped this service to full capacity yet since we're in early beta mode.

They will probably add more servers and network capacity for private relay as we get closer to release.

That said, I only plan to use this feature sporadically, when using untrusted networks.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Slow down is the best case scenario for me cause after opening private relay, a handful of my frequently accessed website just won’t load anymore, no matter how long I Wait. Some are for my work, so I have to turn it off for now.
I wonder if they allow per-website settings for this, like with content blockers etc.
We could whitelist certain sites to load without Private Relay (e.g. work sites).

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
I don't know. It seems Apple frequently has icloud issues of some type regularly.

It is unclear why they can't keep their cloud services up consistently. I mean heck they use AWS. Google can keep zero outages for weeks.

I mean look at Apple Card, it is down again https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/. I have never heard of a regular credit card being "down" from being usable.

The only issue with this is making that additional hop, and if Apple is down you have zero internet without turning it off.

Reactions: Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.