Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Hello Everyone, Quick Question: I got my wife an Ultra 2 2 months ago. Its still new in the box, When she sets it up and pairs to her phone will the Blood Oxygen feature still be there ? Confusing.. I know if you purchase one today the app is gone.. How about the watch I got 2 months ago never activated? TIA..

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Yes. It should be available.
The ability to measure blood oxygen is no longer available on Apple Watch units sold by Apple in the United States after January 18, 2024. These are indicated with part numbers ending in LW/A. Learn how to identify your Apple Watch.

Reactions: harleymhs

andrewj

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
But is it possible that a software update will remove the oxygen measuring feature in Ultra 2s purchased before the ban took effect?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
There is an existing thread regarding this topic:

(My take on your question: Technically, Apple can easily disable each current feature if ordered to do so. But only Apple and time will tell if they also disable the feature on existing watches without an official ruling. Outside of the US, I suspect it is too much of a selling point to voluntarily give it up.)

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
But is it possible that a software update will remove the oxygen measuring feature in Ultra 2s purchased before the ban took effect?

Apple has stated that new watches will have the sensor disabled. They have not stated that they will be disabling the sensor on current watches.

Yes, it’s obviously possible. They could also simply brick all of our watches, but it would be a super dumb move. But possible.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
All of the reporting thus far doesn’t seem to suggest this will happen unless there is some sort of court ruling to enforce it.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
All of the reporting thus far doesn’t seem to suggest this will happen unless there is some sort of court ruling to enforce it.
And a court ruling requires a lawsuit in the first place an for all I can tell, such lawsuit does not exist, yet

Reactions: ukms

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Wonder what happens if u need to have an AWU2 replaced under warranty?

Comes down to inventory remaining. Apple isn’t allowed to import Watches with the sensor enabled. It’s similar to replacement iPhones during the first weeks of a new iPhone launch.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Wonder what happens if u need to have an AWU2 replaced under warranty?
Well, that is annoying…

Hadn’t thought about that. Same with any other watch(S6-S9) being replaced with AC+.

Blood oxygen sensors have been around awhile.

I replaced an S7 Titanium Edition watch a month or so ago. I wonder how this affects older watches being replaced moving forward.

Hopefully all this business doesn’t last long cause that will make me less likely to want to replace my S7 or U2 before the AC+ expires on them in 2025.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
They could also simply brick all of our watches, but it would be a super dumb move. But possible.
Clearly true, and clearly souuuuuper expensive. Apple could probably negotiate some sort of licensing fee for the legacy watches for a lot less than it would cost in cash to deal with all of the litigation that would immediately follow, and I don’t think you could even begin to put a price tag on the loss of good will, forget that, pure hostility that would spread through the Applesphere.

qCzar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
SFBA, CA
Hello Everyone, Quick Question: I got my wife an Ultra 2 2 months ago. Its still new in the box, When she sets it up and pairs to her phone will the Blood Oxygen feature still be there ? Confusing.. I know if you purchase one today the app is gone.. How about the watch I got 2 months ago never activated? TIA..
How did this go for you? Was the app still there?

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
How did this go for you? Was the app still there?
No speculation or testing needed anymore; Apple has explained that if the model number of the watch has a suffix of LW/A instead of LL/A, the pulse oximetry feature is disabled in the software as a result of the import ban. It has absolutely nothing to do with when the watch is taken out of the box and activated.

Reactions: bhodinut and jz0309

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
I just got a Ultra 2 from T-mobile yesterday that still has the oxygen sensor. The battery was also dead so it must've been sitting for a while.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
So what's the future of this situation, does anyone know? I just got a S9 late last year so I'm good for now. Do people seem to think this will be resolved and reinstated or is that it for the foreseeable future?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.