Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Topsy-Turvy

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2017
I checked and it’s off but there doesn’t seem to be any way to turn it on.

Edit: I just turned it on under system services on my phone and it’s working now. Thank you and everyone else for your help.

Edit: I just turned it on under system services on my phone and it’s working now. Thank you and everyone else for your help.
Turning on then off magnetic North in setting/compass should work too. Had this issue.

Love my ultra!

MetalMatt24

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012

Same here. Worked immediately. lol

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
i have tried without Milanese loop and the result is the same :-(
Possibly the compass calibration got messed up by having the Milanese loop on while it calibrated.
Read the part on calibration here, and reset the watch (hold side button and crown down for 10 seconds).

Also, rotate and move your wrist around slowly and deliberately, all different directions and orientations. This is how it calibrates.

Hoping this is just a software glitch, not a hardware fault

Last edited:
Reactions: Vref

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
i have tried without Milanese loop and the result is the same :-(

Apparently it takes a little time for the compass to resolve this error after a band change. WatchOS must be doing some recalibration and averaging in the background than to read single data point. I’m seeing it with my AWU/AW8 and is still trying to work out its parameters and work around.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
So why are my watch and phone so far apart?

Attachments

• 454CC103-F116-4036-ACE0-4DB282B0BC21.jpeg
    454CC103-F116-4036-ACE0-4DB282B0BC21.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 317E7619-5458-492A-AAB5-CACD2D2E4832.jpeg
    317E7619-5458-492A-AAB5-CACD2D2E4832.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 136

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
What's interesting is that my Work iPhone and my Apple Watch are in perfect sync on the compass, but my personal iPhone and my Watch are so far out of whack. So it's apparently my personal iPhone that's somehow cattywampus.

flowave

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
What's interesting is that my Work iPhone and my Apple Watch are in perfect sync on the compass, but my personal iPhone and my Watch are so far out of whack. So it's apparently my personal iPhone that's somehow cattywampus.
Personally, apple watch 7 compass never has been reliable, even without magnetic bands. I usually go for the iPhone compass. This applies same to my Ultra watch, sometimes it just cannot point north, but bit to the side.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
My ultra And 14 PM agree to the degree! And I am using the Apple leather link which is magnetized!

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I was following another thread about similar concerns so I have been playing around with this comparing to an actual compass. My watch, series 5, and phone 14PM, match to the degree but I have True North off on both. With True off they match the compass I’m comparing to, with True enabled there is some discrepancy, but not a lot. Enough though that I will always leave true north off, which is how I’ve always had it with all my phones.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
I was following another thread about similar concerns so I have been playing around with this comparing to an actual compass. My watch, series 5, and phone 14PM, match to the degree but I have True North off on both. With True off they match the compass I’m comparing to, with True enabled there is some discrepancy, but not a lot. Enough though that I will always leave true north off, which is how I’ve always had it with all my phones.

Unless your compass has declination adjustment and adjusted correctly for your location, of course they’ll mismatch when iOS/WatchOS devices are set for True North. If set to True North and declination correctly adjusted, they’ll match too. This present problem has nothing to do with the True North setting, which is a fixed bearing correction for that location.

Reactions: papbot and azhava

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
What do you think about this?
View attachment 2079944
Compass is the only function with I use almost everyday.
I'm so disappointed because now I don't know what to think or what to do and I have got no time to go back to Apple Store about this issue.

I'll try to contact apple tomorrow and ask (if this exists) for an express replacement
hope you get it sorted out... that thing is huge.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Unless your compass has declination adjustment and adjusted correctly for your location, of course they’ll mismatch when iOS/WatchOS devices are set for True North. If set to True North and declination correctly adjusted, they’ll match too. This present problem has nothing to do with the True North setting, which is a fixed bearing correction for that location.
Thanks, appreciate the explanation. As it is now watch, phone and compass all match exactly so I’m satisfied.

Reactions: SoGood

GrimeAllDay

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2017
If it’s not reading proper information you could also go into privacy and settings on the iPhone paired to the Watch and make sure the (compass calibration) settings are on then if it needs to calibrate it can, failing any other steps that have been tried.

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
Mine works perfectly. It says when you get on the compass that some bands with magnets can impact the accuracy.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Compared my ultra to the compass rose at the airport, dead nuts on

How do you use a compass all the time and not know that having a magnet next to it isn’t good? 🤷‍♂️

rmw49

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Compass is the only function with I use almost everyday.
I'm so disappointed because now I don't know what to think or what to do and I have got no time to go back to Apple Store about this issue.
If you use the compass app every day, why don't you use the Wayfinder watch face as you have the Ultra? All you have to do with that his tap on the numerals of the hours and the compass face instantly comes up in its place.

Reactions: Vref
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.