Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hello All:

I am using a late 2021 MBP16 operating under Sonoma 14.1.1 and am unable to force an ethernet connection. Current set-up includes a CalDigit Docking Station, WiFi Router, and DOCIS 5.1 Modem.

Connection to WiFi works fine. However, if I turn-off WiFi I loose connection to internet. I have also attempted to go straight from the Modem to the MBP via an Apple ethernet adaptor. This did not work.

Attached is screen shot System Settings>Network appears. WiFi connected but none of the Thunderbolt Ethernet Connections are show connected (this image was take when connected via the Docking Station and DOCSIS 5.1 model).

In the past OSs, there was a way to set to set the priority connections. But that does not seem to be available in MacOS 14.1.1.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Don Barar

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 3.03.06 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 3.03.06 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 107

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Change the service order to put Ethernet at the top of the list, just like in past macOS versions. The menu you're looking for is a little bit hidden...

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 8.21.52 AM.png

Reactions: Weaselboy

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Change the service order to put Ethernet at the top of the list, just like in past macOS versions. The menu you're looking for is a little bit hidden...

View attachment 2312374
Hi Chabig:

I had two problems. 1) Needed to update the firmware for the CalDigit docking station--this solved my issue of being unable to connect the laptop to ethernet. Now it shows up as a connection and 2) Changing the order as you suggested.

Thank you for your help.

Don Barar

smithdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Hello All:

Updating the firmware to the CalDigit Docking Station and changing the connection order worked for a while. However, with updating to 14.2 (upgrading the 14.2 changed the connection order, but I have changed it back to ethernet first and I placed WiFi at the bottom of the list) I am no longer able to establish an ethernet connection.

Any thoughts on how to resolve would be helpful.

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.