Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I had a complete computer meltdown last week and have been battling persistent demons even since starting over in a new user account. So I don't know what the problem is, but when I tried to upgrade my Canon software to the newly released versions, it wouldn't work. I got an error message that it could not do the upgrade.

So I tried dumping everything (from Applications, Library/Preferences, and Library/Application Support) that said Canon, DPP, or EOS in the title. And then I rebooted from a Leopard system CD and repaired my permissions. It fixed a list of items. Then I clicked Repair Disk, and it didn't find anything to repair. So then tried to reinstall the previous versions of DPP and EOS Utility from the Canon CD, and it couldn't install them. It keeps returning an "error = 6" message.

Help! :(

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Does the Canon software has a "deinstall" feature? Somewhere in your hard drive there are still something left behind from the former software. Through trial and error I have found out that sometimes it's easier to start from scratch by re-formatting the hard drive, followed by Mac OS X installation, followed by all the updates. Then repairing permissions, followed by the installation of all the software. However, what is to have a back-up external hard drive I can use to restore the computer. It may not be 100% current, but close enough to save me a lot of work.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
No, I couldn't find any deinstall feature, unfortunately. I'd really like to avoid wiping the drive and starting over again. I just spent three days getting my new user account mostly up and running. I'm down to just the Canon software and my Palm software not working. I don't want to go through all that again just for these little bits of software. Ugh.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Do you really need the Canon software? Can you not use ImageCapture that comes with your Mac?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Do you really need the Canon software? Can you not use ImageCapture that comes with your Mac?

Yes, I use it rather often for special case images. I also cannot install my Palm Software, which I use daily. And who knows what else I'll be unable to install in the future. Something is wrong and needs to get fixed.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Might have to fix it the "old fashioned" way - format the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I had a similar problem before, but I completely forgot how I fixed it... try downloading and installing from some version online?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Might have to fix it the "old fashioned" way - format the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch

Ugh. Exactly what I do not want to do. Isn't there at least *something* I can try short of such a time-consuming overhaul?

I had a similar problem before, but I completely forgot how I fixed it... try downloading and installing from some version online?

I haven't be able to find anything else online for the Canon software. And the Palm Software is something I got online. So it's not just a CD problem.

I know its not the same software, but if you are on Snow Leopard this might work for you...

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20090825110938102

Thanks, but I'm on 10.5.8.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Ugh. Exactly what I do not want to do. Isn't there at least *something* I can try short of such a time-consuming overhaul?

I haven't be able to find anything else online for the Canon software. And the Palm Software is something I got online. So it's not just a CD problem.

Thanks, but I'm on 10.5.8.

Hrmmm, maybe the latest update utility could help?

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0033266.asp?model=

Im at work and couldn't search too well, but this is the only other thing i could think of. I got my fingers crossed, hope you get it going!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Hrmmm, maybe the latest update utility could help?

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0033266.asp?model=

Im at work and couldn't search too well, but this is the only other thing i could think of. I got my fingers crossed, hope you get it going!

Thanks, but that's where the problem started. I tried to upgrade to that new version, and it failed. Even worse, it killed the previous version that had been working. So I dumped everything related to Canon and reinstalled from the CD. That doesn't work. Nor does installing my Palm syncing software (which I tried before any of this Canon stuff).

So my system is having problems dealing with incoming software, and I don't know where to begin fixing it. I'm hoping there is some nifty terminal command that might be worth trying. Zap pram? Something else? I have no idea. I haven't had a system problem in years.

OS X gurus where are you???

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
And now CS4 is suddenly returning this lovely message:

An unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occurred because you do not have the necessary access privileges. Photoshop will now exit.

So I've definitely got some privileges problems. ::::sigh:::::

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
You post in the general OS X forum?

Yeah, at this point, it's looking like a general OS problem for sure. I do have a thread posted in the Apple discussions Leopard forum, but I'm getting no help over there either.

So far I've managed to get CS4 working again by dumping all things Adobe from my preferences folder. I'm thinking the Canon and Palm stuff must have some weird preferences lurking around somewhere that I haven't deleted.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
You said you dumped all the canon, dpp, and eos stuff... but did you search them in finder, or even google desktop to make sure there were no more entries?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
You said you dumped all the canon, dpp, and eos stuff... but did you search them in finder, or even google desktop to make sure there were no more entries?

I used the finder, which oddly seems not to find anything in the preferences folder unless I'm currently viewing that folder.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
That CS4 error, it may have something to do with licensing. Did you "deactivate" your CS4 install prior to wiping the old account and installing it anew? If not, something in Adobe's DRM licensing thinks you still have another install floating around somewhere and it won't launch.

I had this same problem when I upgraded from my PBG4 to my newer MBP. I forgot to "deactivate" my CS3 and when I installed it on the new machine I got the same type of trouble. The software appears to install completely no problem but when you launch it that's when it gives you the errors. There is a fix, but I don't recall exactly what I did. I do recall though that it involved basically manually erasing the Adobe DRM files (which do not get deleted upon uninstall) and reinstalling the software again. You'll know you get it right when it asks you you re-enter the CD-key upon install (YMMV but this is what I recall from my CS3 experience).

Search online for Adobe CS4 DRM issues they even have a downloadable utility that is supposed to activate/deactivate/erase their installed DRM.

If you call Adobe they may be able to walk you through it, but do it soon as in before CS5 comes out because then you'll get the response they gave me who was told that CS3 was no longer the current product and I would have to pay $40/incident to get telephone help. At least I was able to worm out of the guy that my CD key was valid and that it was not an Adobe key server issue, rather some DRM problem on my local machine. Thanks Adobe!

HTH

Ruahrc

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
That CS4 error, it may have something to do with licensing. Did you "deactivate" your CS4 install prior to wiping the old account and installing it anew? If not, something in Adobe's DRM licensing thinks you still have another install floating around somewhere and it won't launch.

I had this same problem when I upgraded from my PBG4 to my newer MBP. I forgot to "deactivate" my CS3 and when I installed it on the new machine I got the same type of trouble. The software appears to install completely no problem but when you launch it that's when it gives you the errors. There is a fix, but I don't recall exactly what I did. I do recall though that it involved basically manually erasing the Adobe DRM files (which do not get deleted upon uninstall) and reinstalling the software again. You'll know you get it right when it asks you you re-enter the CD-key upon install (YMMV but this is what I recall from my CS3 experience).

Search online for Adobe CS4 DRM issues they even have a downloadable utility that is supposed to activate/deactivate/erase their installed DRM.

If you call Adobe they may be able to walk you through it, but do it soon as in before CS5 comes out because then you'll get the response they gave me who was told that CS3 was no longer the current product and I would have to pay $40/incident to get telephone help. At least I was able to worm out of the guy that my CD key was valid and that it was not an Adobe key server issue, rather some DRM problem on my local machine. Thanks Adobe!

HTH

Ruahrc

Many thanks for the reply, but as I noted in post #14, I got CS4 working again by dumping all of my Adobe preferences. Sad to see them go, but that was easier than reinstalling or sitting on the phone with Adobe.

In other news, it would appear that Canon will not offer support for anybody not using Snow Leopard. I can't find anywhere on their site to ask them what the heck "Error = 6" might mean and how to fix it. Grrrrrr.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Try using AppZapper to properly get rid of everything relating to the Canon software(very easy).
As for Spotlight it doesn't search system files by default as far as I'm aware, in your search field you can include system files by hitting the dropdown.
Remember to search "This Mac".

EDIT: just checked running 10.5, when searching you have to select "other" in the dropdown, then a window pops up with a long list of attributes, scroll down and select "System Files", hit ok, then next to that dropdown in the finder search window is another dropdown, select "Are included".

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Try using AppZapper to properly get rid of everything relating to the Canon software(very easy).
As for Spotlight it doesn't search system files by default as far as I'm aware, in your search field you can include system files by hitting the dropdown.
Remember to search "This Mac".

EDIT: just checked running 10.5, when searching you have to select "other" in the dropdown, then a window pops up with a long list of attributes, scroll down and select "System Files", hit ok, then next to that dropdown in the finder search window is another dropdown, select "Are included".

Thanks, TheReef. It looks like AppZapper is for Snow Leopard only, but I imagine there's something out there for 10.5. I finally got DPP installed after dragging com.apple.Launcher files out of my preferences folder. Then I tried to upgrade it to the new version Canon just released, and got the same "error = 6" message again. Now I'm back to square one trying to get the CD version installed again. So frustrating.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Time to upgrade to snow leopard? ;)

Of course, the only allowed excuse for not upgrading to snow leopard is because you have a PPC mac, in which case, time for a new mac! ;)

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Of course, the only allowed excuse for not upgrading to snow leopard is because you have a PPC mac, in which case, time for a new mac! ;)
There are a lot of niche-market programs that haven't been updated for SL; for example, almost none of my music software is supported yet to run on Snow Leopard (Logic being the outlier). In those cases, a new Mac is the last thing you'd want because it would only come with Snow Leopard and 10.5 drivers may not exist for that hardware...

/threadjack

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Thanks, TheReef. It looks like AppZapper is for Snow Leopard only, but I imagine there's something out there for 10.5. I finally got DPP installed after dragging com.apple.Launcher files out of my preferences folder. Then I tried to upgrade it to the new version Canon just released, and got the same "error = 6" message again. Now I'm back to square one trying to get the CD version installed again. So frustrating.

I feel your pain, these things can be very frustrating.

Here's a link to AppZapper for Leopard. (Link at end of top answer)
Give it a go anyway there might be something you've missed.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I feel your pain, these things can be very frustrating.

Here's a link to AppZapper for Leopard. (Link at end of top answer)
Give it a go anyway there might be something you've missed.

Many thanks for the link. I downloaded it and gave it a go. At first there was no app to zapp, so I had to try an install just to get the broken app to exist. Then I dragged that to app zapper, trashed the files it zapped, and rebooted. Installation again returned the same old error message. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.