Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
It may be a permissions issue,
Fire up Terminal and type:

sudo chmod -R u+rwX /Users/yourusernamehere

It will ask you for your password.

This ensures you can read/write/execute everything in your home directory.
When moving things from your old user account, they'd still have the old permissions, so that's where the issue may be.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
It may be a permissions issue,
Fire up Terminal and type:

sudo chmod -R u+rwX /Users/yourusernamehere

It will ask you for your password.

This ensures you can read/write/execute everything in your home directory.
When copying things from your old user account, they'd still have the old permissions, so that's where the issue may be.

I should do that before installing or before zapping?

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I should do that before installing or before zapping?

It doesn't really matter, just make sure it's done before installing.

EDIT..if you haven't done it already, do it before zapping. (I'm thinking AppZapper may not be able to delete them if it doesn't have permission...although it'd probably throw an error if that were the case)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
It doesn't really matter, just make sure it's done before installing.

EDIT..if you haven't done it already, do it before zapping. (I'm thinking AppZapper may not be able to delete them if it doesn't have permission...although it'd probably throw an error if that were the case)

Is it supposed to return the line:

sudo: /var/db/sudo writable by non-owner (041775), should be mode 0700

??

Anyway, installation still failed. ::::sigh::::

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Is it supposed to return the line:

sudo: /var/db/sudo writable by non-owner (041775), should be mode 0700

??

Anyway, installation still failed. ::::sigh::::

:confused: That shouldn't have happened, I tried it on mine works fine. I've never seen that error before and google reveals 2 results...

So in your case I'm unsure of if it actually worked, was there a substantial lag after you pressed hit enter? (indicating it's actually doing something)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
:confused: That shouldn't have happened, I tried it on mine works fine. I've never seen that error before and google reveals 2 results...

So in your case I'm unsure of if it actually worked, was there a substantial lag after you pressed hit enter? (indicating it's actually doing something)

When I did it on my new user account, there was no lag. When I did it on my old user account (while still logged into the new one), there was so much lag that it never returned a prompt again.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
When I did it on my new user account, there was no lag. When I did it on my old user account (while still logged into the new one), there was so much lag that it never returned a prompt again.

Restart.
Go back into your new user account, run that same command but without the "sudo" at the beginning.
Does it give some sort of indicative lag?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Restart.
Go back into your new user account, run that same command but without the "sudo" at the beginning.
Does it give some sort of indicative lag?

You're a genius, Reef!!!! It worked!! Wow. Thank you so much!!

Now do I dare try to install the latest update to DPP and EOS Utility again?

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
You're a genius, Reef!!!! It worked!! Wow. Thank you so much!!

Now do I dare try to install the latest update to DPP and EOS Utility again?

It's a good start, let's hope it's a permissions issue :eek:

Yeah go ahead.

EDIT: in System Preferences ensure your new user account has administrator privileges before you install.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
It's a good start, let's hope it's a permissions issue :eek:

Yeah go ahead.

EDIT: in System Preferences ensure your new user account has administrator privileges before you install.

Yeah, the new account still shows as "admin." I'll give the upgrade a whirl...fingers crossed...

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Ugh. I can't win for losing.

The upgrade hosed the successful installation. So I zapped everything, rebooted, reentered the terminal command, and tried installing from the CD again. And now I'm back to getting the "error = 6" all over again.

I need a stiff drink. :(

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Ugh. I can't win for losing.

The upgrade hosed the successful installation. So I zapped everything, rebooted, reentered the terminal command, and tried installing from the CD again. And now I'm back to getting the "error = 6" all over again.

I need a stiff drink. :(

Sorry Phrasikleia, can't think of anything else. :(

Just a quick note on the Terminal command - you mentioned you used it from your old user account at one stage. This is giving the old account read/write access to the new user directory, it's not going to break anything but won't do anything for your new user account. Just letting you know. Also you only really need to do it once, or after you move things from other user accounts into your new user account.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Sorry Phrasikleia, can't think of anything else. :(

Just a quick note on the Terminal command - you mentioned you used it from your old user account at one stage. This is giving the old account read/write access to the new user directory, it's not going to break anything but won't do anything for your new user account. Just letting you know. Also you only really need to do it once, or after you move things from other user accounts into your new user account.

I really appreciate all your help. I realize now that you had asked if there was a lag after typing chmod -R u+rwX /Users/MyUserName, and the answer is no. There was no lag. I actually didn't see that part of your post at first. I entered the command, instantly got a prompt for my user, and then tried installing from the CD (Digital Photo Professional software only). The installation was successful. I then ran a second installation from the CD (EOS Utility software), and that was also successful. I then tested each of those two apps, and they were fully functional. I then got greedy and tried upgrading with the downloadable update patch, and that's when I got flung back to square 1.

I just don't understand why I seem to be able to get a successful installation after doing something that seems like a good idea, only to be unable to repeat that success. The first time I deleted some launcher files from my library, and the installation went though. But no amount of repeating that process helps anymore. This is so bizarre and frustrating.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I really appreciate all your help. I realize now that you had asked if there was a lag after typing chmod -R u+rwX /Users/MyUserName, and the answer is no. There was no lag. I actually didn't see that part of your post at first. I entered the command, instantly got a prompt for my user, and then tried installing from the CD (Digital Photo Professional software only). The installation was successful. I then ran a second installation from the CD (EOS Utility software), and that was also successful. I then tested each of those two apps, and they were fully functional. I then got greedy and tried upgrading with the downloadable update patch, and that's when I got flung back to square 1.

I just don't understand why I seem to be able to get a successful installation after doing something that seems like a good idea, only to be unable to repeat that success. The first time I deleted some launcher files from my library, and the installation went though. But no amount of repeating that process helps anymore. This is so bizarre and frustrating.

Ah so it worked without the patch...don't suppose you caught that moment on time machine.

It's hard without sitting in front of your machine.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Ah so it worked without the patch...don't suppose you caught that moment on time machine.

It's hard without sitting in front of your machine.

No, I'm not running Time Machine right now and probably won't start it up again until I sort out this mess. I'll probably have to do a clean reinstall at some point, when I have a weekend to burn on it.

I wish I knew which combination of factors made that installation work. I tried what you suggested, and it worked. But now that same procedure doesn't work. Go figure.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I got it installed again! So weird: I ran the installer (after doing the terminal command), got the error message, and then immediately (out of complete exasperation) ran the CD installer yet again, without zapping or deleting any of the broken files that the failed install had left. That second time it went all the way through without an error. DPP and EOS Utility now seem to be functioning, at least the old CD versions are.

I'm now going to put down all Canon installers and step away slowly. Don't want to sneeze and upset it all again!! :rolleyes:

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I got it installed again! So weird: I ran the installer (after doing the terminal command), got the error message, and then immediately (out of complete exasperation) ran the CD installer yet again, without zapping or deleting any of the broken files that the failed install had left. That second time it went all the way through without an error. DPP and EOS Utility now seem to be functioning, at least the old CD versions are.

I'm now going to put down all Canon installers and step away slowly. Don't want to sneeze and upset it all again!! :rolleyes:

Very weird! Glad you got it working in the end :)
Hey, take the risk by trying the patch twice? Joking :p

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
That has to do with the new account you created. The CS4 preferences relating to the former account don't match the new account.

I'm sure the new account is still a complete mess under the hood, but at least I'm up and running with CS4 and my Canon software at the moment. The last thing I need to fix is my Palm syncing, but I'm too gun shy to fuss with it right away. I'm afraid if I look at my computer the wrong way again, it will implode.

I have a 2TB hard drive on order from Amazon right now. When it arrives, I can start thinking about doing back-ups in preparation for a clean install--time permitting...maybe next month.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Following this thread has convinced me that I'm not missing anything from never installing my Canon software. Troubles like this would turn me into a basket case.

Dale

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Following this thread has convinced me that I'm not missing anything from never installing my Canon software. Troubles like this would turn me into a basket case.

Dale

It's not the fault of the Canon software. It was Leopard's ColorSync that opened the flood gates. I got a corrupted color profile and had to start a new user account to correct it. That then caused a domino effect of problems with privileges and permissions. It's a Mac thing. :(

jpdemers

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
New York, NY
Re-install OS?

You ought to be able to re-install the OS without wiping the drive. Not sure how many headaches that would create, but it might do the trick. Also, are the updates you're trying to install appropriate for the OS version you're running?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.