Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Hi,
I have an HP Officejet Pro 7740, up until yesterday I was able to scan from my MacBook (via Wi-Fi) without any problem using
HP Easy Scan. Then suddenly I get an error message “An error occurred while communicating with the scanner"
(no error number), I have no problem printing.
After several hours trying to correct the problem including removing and reinstalling the printer, resetting printer system. I also tried using Image Capture but receive "waiting for scanner" for a couple of secs, then
"No camera or scanner selected". Anyway now using HP Easy Scan I now no longer receive an error, when I click
Scan I see "preparing to scan" for a couple of seconds, then the message "Place an item on the scanner and then click scan" reappears.
Any help to resolve this problem so I can scan again would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

davidjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
I've also tried to install HP Easy Start, after successfully downloading 203 MB of essential software, it then continues with connecting HP Easy Scan, after about a minute of trying to connect I receive the message
"Cannot install software" "Cannot download the software. Check your network connection, and try again", my
network connection is fine, I've tried this several times with the same results

davidjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
I suspect the latest mac version of "hp easy scan" for hp officejet pro 7740 series may be the problem. Where can I find older versions to download/install.

Thanks for any help

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Yes, but I doubt there are many people here with HP Officejet Pro 7740, and even less with that and High Sierra.

Have you contacted HP?

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Some hp printer/scanners will not operate as a scanner if the printer portion is out of ink or has old/expired ink. This has become a big deal in some circles so..

Does your printer print? Is it reporting it is out of ink or the ink is expired?

davidjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Ok, thanks for letting me know Gilby, had quite a few responses from MacForums, but still haven't sorted the problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.