Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_SMT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
watchOS 7 came out today but I’m unable to update my watch because it has no free space.

The thing is, I have no apps installed and going to the storage usage in settings shows that there is almost no space taken by anything on the watch. So I can’t free any space and I can’t update.

D064AECE-65D9-447E-8488-E27F9D22AF55.png
BA39FA30-E438-453F-9DEC-A68FF8FD5D18.png

LongZheng

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Was a common problem with betas, looks like they didn't fix for GM.

Unfortunately you'll just have to reset the watch and pair again (I would avoid installing any apps during pairing).

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I have this same problem and even unpairing and loading as new does not clear enough space. By manually deleting apps from the watch itself I was able to get it to 3 GB available but the update needed 3.1 and I could not free up enough. Guess we’ll need to wait for 7.1.

MaestroX1

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2020
I uninstalled around 10 or so apps which hardly freed up any space. Then restarted the Watch just because and free space went up from 2.7 GB to 3.3 GB.

Update currently in progress.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
I uninstalled around 10 or so apps which hardly freed up any space. Then restarted the Watch just because and free space went up from 2.7 GB to 3.3 GB.

That's what I did with at least two beta downloads, basically remove everything & then restart.

Reactions: Rodan52

Mr_SMT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016

I tried restarting my watch and the free space did indeed go from 1.9 to 2.7 GB but I still can’t update.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Reset the device. I did and restored from backup it it gave me 4.1GB out of 4.7. I was at 2.8 so it looks like logs.

Right now I’m still waiting for it to update. Still says preparing.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
Here's one trick I've found when doing a watch update that speeds up the download to the watch. I start the update and then turn off Bluetooth. (The Watch app will ask you to turn it back on, but you can just hit cancel.) The update file is then sent to the watch via WiFi which is much faster. My original estimate for the download to the watch was 2 hours, and it took 12 minutes via WiFi.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
OP: Had same issue with wires series 3.
Had to unpair, repair and install that way. PITA but it worked.
My series 3, had no issues.

freemyheart

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2018
Was unable to clear enough space on my 5GB S3 despite trying helpful solutions that were posted above. In case you're in the same position, here was my solution.

1. Update iPhone to iOS 14.

2. Close all 3 rings, because who knows how long the update will take you. Entire process took me nearly 4 hours. Not worth breaking your streaks, just to update to watchOS 7 on a S3.

3. Force iCloud backup on your iPhone after closing all 3 rings.

4. After forced iCloud backup: Erase all settings.

5. Pair as new watch.

6. Update to watchOS 7 after doing the bare minimum to pair.

7. Erase all settings.

8. Pair, restoring from backup. Select the backup you created after closing all 3 rings.

Biggest piece of advice I can give if you're going to do this with your S3 is to practice patience. For me, the update failed once while verifying (error claimed not connected to internet). 2nd attempt worked, however both "Preparing" and "Verifying" took forever. Patience. Good luck!

P.S. In retrospect, I would've waited for 7.01. (Which will hopefully not require 3.1GB of space to update.) Just not worth the stress of losing my streaks. (12 days short of 1,000 days straight of closing move goal, for one.)

moderato_burrito

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020
Guys, I think I found the answer: delete some watch faces. Those seem to take up a good deal of space. How many do you need anyway? I got from 2.9GB free up to 3.2GB free with 3 watch faces left.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Everything I read says the Apple Watch 3 without cellular has 8GB capacity. However, when I check on the iPhone app under General > About, it says its capacity is 3.4GB. This means I can't upgrade it to watchOS as it says it needs 3.6GB free to upgrade when I do try.

I can't find anything online that tells me where that missing 4.6GB is. I presume some is OS but all of it?

Did Apple note anywhere that this model can't be upgraded? Did I miss that? Since they are saying the AW3 is compatible with watchOS 7, thus upgradeable - but not all AW3s.

Thanks

antipodean

macrumors regular
May 2, 2014
I have the exact same problem. I tried deleting all apps and removing all music. Still no luck. I can't get the free storage above 2.9GB, but it seems 3.1GB is needed to run the watchOS 7 upgrade.

I ordered a series 6 yesterday, so I plan to skip the watchOS update on my AW3. I only hope I can restore my watchOS 6 AW3 backup straight to the new AW6 on watchOS 7. Generally I prefer to restore an iCloud backup from equal versions of the OS when doing a device transfer. Seems I can't do that in this instance.

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
I’m glad it’s not just me! I was up untill the wee hours trying to sort it out. I had to unpair my iPhone and Apple Watch and then pair up again just to install the new software. It’s left me with very little capacity left. Think I’ll upgrade to a SE.

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I had this problem as well, I found that repeatedly restarting the watch fixed it — after each restart, I'd wait a few minutes, check the 'Usage' screen and see that more space had been liberated.

I'm still stuck, however, as each time I try to update there's an error saying the updated couldn't be verified as I'm not connected to the internet (I am).

ConfusedChris

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2013
U.K.
The problem is mentioned in the release notes. However, after a clean install of 7, it gave an error message when I tried to restore from backups. All my Watch backups were unusable.

edit: Reported as a bug, btw

Attachments

• 54F2E11E-6FB1-451E-AB0D-088F8641F6CB.jpeg
    54F2E11E-6FB1-451E-AB0D-088F8641F6CB.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Like what BasicGreatGuy said, I also had to wipe my AW3: Settings -> Genmeral -> Reset -> Erase All Contents and Settings. This unpairs the watch. Once you pair it again, you could restore everything back. After restore, I had like 3.9GB available and was able to update to watchos7.

Reactions: ChrisH3677

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
well this is all very annoying. like everyone else on AW3 I've cleared all that I can and only got to 2.1GB, glad I ordered a series 6.

Tommo66

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
Remove any watch faces you aren't using and restart the watch. Mine went from 1.9GB free to 3.4GB free by doing this. Upgraded fine after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.