Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
im I the only one blown away at how laggy and much stutter is in the unlock animation, even on the iPhone X? It seems like this is much less fluid than it should be.
Is this with reduce motion on or off?

Jan_Krz

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
im I the only one blown away at how laggy and much stutter is in the unlock animation, even on the iPhone X? It seems like this is much less fluid than it should be.

No... you're not the only one. I have an Ip8+ and I have a lag as well. Not all the time, but always with first unlock when phone was left unused for some time.
You know what they say?
A11 chip is the fastest processor :)
but for me it's useless without propper optimization...

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I have a feeling that the processor is in low power mode and when you unlock it's not ready to give you a smooth animation yet. It's annoying and I've seen it on my X too. It will probably be fixed in an update.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
My 8plus is smooth like 99% of the time. Then all of a sudden it will stutter really bad every single time I unlock. I usually close the latest app I was using and it fixes it.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
No lag on my iPhone X. I set the phone up as new.
[doublepost=1510488498][/doublepost]
I have a feeling that the processor is in low power mode and when you unlock it's not ready to give you a smooth animation yet. It's annoying and I've seen it on my X too. It will probably be fixed in an update.
I haven’t experienced this.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
No... you're not the only one. I have an Ip8+ and I have a lag as well. Not all the time, but always with first unlock when phone was left unused for some time.
You know what they say?
A11 chip is the fastest processor :)
but for me it's useless without propper optimization...

I'm loving the rhetoric on MacRumors these days. More dramatic than daytime television.

Omicron Theta

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
I’m still using an iPhone 6 Plus and the unlock animation stutters every time, not just with the first unlock when the phone hasn’t been used in a while. It is so annoying I was thinking of upgrading to an iPhone 8 Plus, but then I saw this thread and I see it is happening on the newer phones as well.

For me, the stutter started on iOS 11.1. I downgraded to 11.0.3 and now the unlock animation is smooth again, every time. In fact, everything is much smoother on 11.0.3 on my 6 Plus such as the multitasking animation and opening control center. It feels like a new phone again. Hopefully the stutters get fixed on 11.2. If not, I will be staying on 11.0.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
It stutters because some idiot (please excuse my language) at Apple decided it would be a brilliant idea to have the unlock screen go from 100% blur to 0% blur as the screen unlocks. You will also see this effect when you activate the notification center: it does what I just described in reverse. (100% blur -> 0% blur)

It's even more hilarious when you have the same wallpaper for both lockscreen and wallpaper because now it'll try to blur the image before displaying it again.

This is not smooth even on the iPhone X because obviously, the lock screen initially has 0% blur. It jumps from 0% to 100% in a split second just so the animation could start.

It's kind of cliched to say this now but seriously, this is the kind of design "flaw" that I think Steve Jobs will have someone fired for. Tim should use his phone more and start firing more people.

atton

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2016
London, UK
Unless we have a different perception of choppiness/smoothness, I would consider this to be a bug affecting only some devices. I am very picky with the eye candy and the details and I do notice these things to the point where they greatly annoy me when I've seen them even once and know they're there even if they don't happen 100% of the time.

I can safely say my X's animations when unlocking are buttery smooth.. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Make sure you're on the latest update. They fixed a lot of the animations for my 7+ with their latest iteration. I've only tested the X on the latest update..

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Yes, latest. I'm still seeing it.

Easiest way to see it: set the same wallpaper for both lockscreen and wallpaper. You'll see this weird effect both in the notification drawer animation and the lock screen.

currrr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2016
not sure if this is what other iphone x users are experiencing.

it’s hard to duplicate, but when i swipe up and face id is already recognized (thus no face id) screen, the lock screen wallpaper will have a quick flash before unlocking.

like i said it’s hard to duplicate, still happening on 11.1.2

robduckett14

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2015

it’s hard to duplicate, but when i swipe up and face id is already recognized (thus no face id) screen, the lock screen wallpaper will have a quick flash before unlocking.

I think this is the same issue that I have reported here before but on an iPhone 8 Plus. I have taken my 8 Plus into the Apple store and they were able to reproduce it on one of their test phones and chalked it up to an "engineering" issue and that they would forward to wherever I forget. It most likely won't ever get fixed I've just completely ignored it now its not worth the headache of Apple Chats and Apple store visits... just my two cents

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta

Record it happening

hp79

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
Portland
Mine stutters too. Latest iOS, iphone 10. I’m sure a lot of people saying “no stutter” are too insensitive to recognize what a stutter is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.