Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2005
I'm looking for a USB hub that will blend in with my iMac. I've seen it done with the MiniMax, where it sits on the base of the iMac, but I'm not interested in purchasing an external hard drive.

Has anyone stumbled across a slick, unobtrusive USB hub?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Belkin actually makes a number of compact, white USB hubs that are quite inconspicuous and would look good beside an iMac... but I have a caveat. I have one of these:

http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.a...78617&Type=PE&Category=Comp&Gad=0&dcaid=15894

Which is very similar to the newer ones except it's translucent dark grey (looked better with my G4 tower) that I grabbed for cheap at Staples. It's got all the features--4 ports, powered, status lights, and all the wires go out the back, so you don't have any clutter in the front of your desk.

And I despise the thing--it is CONSTANTLY "forgetting" to wake up with the computer. Basically, at random intervals after the computer sleeps (which puts it to sleep as well, no problem there), it will fail to kick back in. Only way to jumpstart it is to unplug and re-plug the power cord.

Maybe I just had a bum one, but it really put me off of Belkin--I had a cheesy, dirt-cheap silver hub from Radio Shack that worked absolutely perfectly in the same situation, nary a problem for two years.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
i was just in circuit city tonight and there are a LOT of tiny hubs to choose from. i'd just go somewhere like that and take a peak at what they have to offer and then pick up the one that most appeals to you. if you got a notebook sized one, you could definitely keep it out of the way, while still benefiting from all the extra ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.