Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
I am a lawyer and, when carrying out process protocols, the electronic system uses .jnlp (java) files. On MacOS Sonoma, I accessed the file by pressing the "right button" on the mouse and clicking "Open". Now, on MacOS Sequoia, I have to access the "Privacy and Security" settings every time and authorize the file to be opened there. Although it enters the exception list, but each .jnlp file is unique, so the system will never identify it in the exception list. Would there be any other option for me to place files, in general, on the MacOS Sequoia exceptions list, without me having to authorize it, every time, through the "Privacy and Security" item?

Reactions: Macs Pain

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
Why are you opening the files via right-click->open rather than simply double-clicking them? I'm not a java user, but I believe that java is the default app for .jnlp files and I would expect that you'll only have to authorize it once. See Permanently change the app used to open all files of a particular type.
On MacOS Sonoma, when I double-clicked on the file, the system sent me a warning that the file could be malware, giving me the option to cancel or send it to the trash. When I right-clicked and clicked open, the system gave me access to the file. In Sequoia, this possibility is no longer available. I always have to confirm in settings, privacy and security. This .jnlp file is for digitally signing lawyer doc files, as a Word, PDF, etc.. So, each .jnlp file is unique and related to those documents I am signing.

Reactions: Macs Pain

Grumpus

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2021
Are you downloading these .jnlp files from somewhere using Safari?

Downloaded files have a "quarantine" extended attribute, and this may be the root of the problem. If you're comfortable using the terminal, you could try removing (most) extended attributes using xattr. As an example, for the file "foo.jnlp" in your Downloads folder, you'd open Terminal.app and run:
Code:
xattr -c ~/Downloads/foo.jnlp
Then try double-clicking that file in Finder to see if it will now run without you having to explicitly allow it in Privacy & Security.

I'm afraid I don't have a better idea at this point. In Sequoia, unsigned apps now have to be explicitly allowed in Settings->Privacy & Security. However, your .jnlp files should be handled by /System/Library/CoreServices/JavaLauncher.app, which should be signed (it definitely is in Sonoma). That's why I'm guessing that the problem stems from the quarantine attribute.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Have you tried DISABLING "Gatekeeper" ??

Open terminal and enter:
sudo spctl --master-disable

(administrative password will be required).

To turn on Gatekeeper again:
sudo spctl --master-enable

Personal experience:
As soon as Gatekeeper was introduced by Apple, I DISABLED it on all my Macs and do so now as a matter of course.

Never had a problem with this...

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
Are you downloading these .jnlp files from somewhere using Safari?

Downloaded files have a "quarantine" extended attribute, and this may be the root of the problem. If you're comfortable using the terminal, you could try removing (most) extended attributes using xattr. As an example, for the file "foo.jnlp" in your Downloads folder, you'd open Terminal.app and run:
Code:
xattr -c ~/Downloads/foo.jnlp
Then try double-clicking that file in Finder to see if it will now run without you having to explicitly allow it in Privacy & Security.

I'm afraid I don't have a better idea at this point. In Sequoia, unsigned apps now have to be explicitly allowed in Settings->Privacy & Security. However, your .jnlp files should be handled by /System/Library/CoreServices/JavaLauncher.app, which should be signed (it definitely is in Sonoma). That's why I'm guessing that the problem stems from the quarantine attribute.
I download using Firefox. It is a .jnlp file for digitally signing documents related to lawyers in Brazil.

I'll try to use your tip and see if it works! Thank you very much for your help, Grumpus.
Have you tried DISABLING "Gatekeeper" ??

Open terminal and enter:
sudo spctl --master-disable

(administrative password will be required).

To turn on Gatekeeper again:
sudo spctl --master-enable

Personal experience:
As soon as Gatekeeper was introduced by Apple, I DISABLED it on all my Macs and do so now as a matter of course.

Never had a problem with this...
I haven't tried disabling it yet. If the tip above doesn't help, I'll try to disable it. Thank you very much, Fishrrman!

Reactions: Grumpus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.