Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
I have suddenly noticed that the Up Next links in main screen (I have it set up to display them when you move to the Apple TV icon on the main screen and replaces the annoying Apple promotions for other movies etc.) have stopped working. Even if I go into the Apple TV+ app and click on one of the Up Next icons, it does not work properly. Note that when a episode is watched the Up Next updates to the next episode correctly.

It never worked for Netflix, of course, since they know better and want to you browse in their app, but it had been working for Hulu, Amazon Prime, Max and, of course Apple TV + without issue. Now, when I click on an Up Next selection it keeps coming up with the need to subscribe to the channel that is presenting it e.g. Hulu or Max or Amazon Prime. However if I go directly to Hulu etc. I can find my selection in the app and play the selection fine. So it looks as if Apples intergration Up Next feature is broken. This is a recent behavior so it may coincide with the last TVOS upgrade or it may have been the streaming channel upgrade, but since there is 3 of them that have stopped working at the same time, I am more suspicious that Apple have broken something.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
still works fine for me

sometimes it forgets which apps you have, long press on something in up next, go to the episode and scroll down, and reselect which app you want to open it in.

and the obligatory... have you rebooted the aTV?

whitby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
Yes I rebooted. No change. Will try the other fix you suggested. Thank you. I have been using Apple TV since the old disk based systems. First time it has been this screwed up. Anyway let me try your suggestion and I will let you know. Again thank you.

scottschram

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Birmingham, AL
On one of my Apple TV devices the Up Next is blank. Thankfully, the Apple TV Application Home Screen Up Next is still working. The other Apple TV devices in the house have a working Up Next.

The UI on that Apple TV Application on the Apple TV Device is very difficult for my wife to navigate. It gets off into Apple TV (the service) and she wonders why her Up Next no longer shows Hulu shows.

And the overloading of the Apple TV brand (Device, Application, Service) is enough to give me carpal tunnel trying to describe a problem with it.

whitby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
I tried the fix suggested by waw74 and it still does not work. If I select Open in App it gives me the option to purchase the episode and then App's that could open it, one of which is usually the correct one. It is usually quicker to go direct to the app and open it there. This only happens for Hulu, Max and Amazon Prime. PBS works fine. Acorn appears not to support Up Next any more. Netflix, as I mentioned in my original post, never supported Up Next. So it looks as if Up Next is not almost completely useless for me. Not sure who broke it, the App designers or Apple, I don't care, all I know is that it is no longer functional (BTW I have 3 Apple TVs and all 3 demonstrate the problem).

scottschram

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Under settings / apps / TV, If you scroll down, there’s a connect to TV and each app is listed. Maybe disconnect the apps that are not working and reconnect them.

whitby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
Interestingly Amazon Prime suddenly started working correctly and now I can click in Up Next either from the Apple TV app or from the main screen. Hulu and Max remain intransigent and still do not work correctly. I did nothing to make this happen. I will have a look at the above suggestion. And thanks again for the idea. The sad thing is that it worked for many years and suddenly now it does not.

Reactions: scottschram

whitby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
Mine’s working fine for all services. 2nd gen 4K.
Thanks for the input. Given the general response it looks as if this a problem that only I have and it is not a general problem.

All my ATVs are current generation units with the latest build of Apple TVOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.