Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corieallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2024
Has anyone been able to update their guest OS to the 2nd beta. The option for Beta updates doesn't show in my VM. Im using UTM.
Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 11.33.39 AM.png

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
You will need to get the full installer and use that to upgrade. Because you can't sign into iCloud from the VM you can't enable beta updates.

Reactions: gilby101

corieallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2024
You will need to get the full installer and use that to upgrade. Because you can't sign into iCloud from the VM you can't enable beta updates.
Thanks. Im hoping the iCloud log in is enabled for the 2nd beta

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks. Im hoping the iCloud log in is enabled for the 2nd beta
if it is, you won't be able to start by upgrading, you'll have to make a new VM using the IPSW, running on a Mac that's also running macOS 15.

palter

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Boston, MA
The attached ZIP file contains a shell script that will enable beta upgrades through System Settings. (I just used it to upgrade my Sequoia VM to Beta 2.)

You may need to run this script each time you want to upgrade to a newer beta.

Attachments

• enable-beta-updates.sh.zip
    847 bytes · Views: 128

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
The attached ZIP file contains a shell script that will enable beta upgrades through System Settings. (I just used it to upgrade my Sequoia VM to Beta 2.)

Worked for me 👍 thanks!

Reactions: EBTwo

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I wish I had known about that earlier today! I updated my beta 1 by using the full installer for beta 2. This is with VMware Fusion on Intel (2019 iMac) host.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I wish I had known about that earlier today! I updated my beta 1 by using the full installer for beta 2. This is with VMware Fusion on Intel (2019 iMac) host.
On Intel Macs you can sign in to enable the beta program just like on a physical Mac.

EBTwo

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2024

This worked for me, too on an M3 MBP! Thanks a ton! It saved me hours of work and disk space. I could simply upgrade my MacOS 15.0B1 VM under UTM to 15.0B2. Also, unless you are running a beta guest VM inside a Sequoia host (which kind of defeats the purpose of sandbox testing) you're not going to be able to log in with your Apple ID or use iCloud services.

sk_macuser

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2024

Hi. DO you have a similar script for upgrading from 15.0 beta 6 to 15.1 beta 2? we tried the script you shared but no luck.

EBTwo

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2024
I couldn't upgrade my UTM VM from 15.0B5 to 15.0B7. I had to create a new VM. Did I miss a step?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I couldn't upgrade my UTM VM from 15.0B5 to 15.0B7. I had to create a new VM. Did I miss a step?
What were your symptoms? I have a Fusion VM which started as macOS 14.5 and I have incremental updated with beta 3 to beta 7. Except for the most recent these updates just worked nice and cleanly. The beta 6 to 7 upgrade did a few reboots with video not working (jumbled up random lines), but I just left it alone and it came right in the end.

(I am using a VM which started as macOS 14, because that continues to allow iCloud connection.)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
What were your symptoms? I have a Fusion VM which started as macOS 14.5 and I have incremental updated with beta 3 to beta 7. Except for the most recent these updates just worked nice and cleanly. The beta 6 to 7 upgrade did a few reboots with video not working (jumbled up random lines), but I just left it alone and it came right in the end.

(I am using a VM which started as macOS 14, because that continues to allow iCloud connection.)
If you're using Fusion, you're on an Intel Mac, which does not have the iCloud limitations that happen when virtualizing macOS on Apple Silicon computers.

Reactions: iStorm

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
If you're using Fusion, you're on an Intel Mac, which does not have the iCloud limitations that happen when virtualizing macOS on Apple Silicon computers.
How do you know that? My experience is that there are similar limitations in the macOS 15 betas on Intel. I would like to know how to use iCloud on a VM built with macOS 15 installation media.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
How do you know that? My experience is that there are similar limitations in the macOS 15 betas on Intel. I would like to know how to use iCloud on a VM built with macOS 15 installation media.
Fusion can't virtualize macOS on Apple Silicon. Virtualization solutions on Apple Silicon which support virtualizing macOS use Apple's hypervisor framework, which is what prevents the iCloud logins from working. Fusion on Intel uses its own virtualization software which does not have the limitations that Apple built into its framework.
Signing in to iCloud should work on Intel-based virtual machines.

palter

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Boston, MA
Hi. DO you have a similar script for upgrading from 15.0 beta 6 to 15.1 beta 2? we tried the script you shared but no luck.
As best as I can tell, the following change should enable updating to the 15.1 beta
diff enable-beta-updates.sh.old enable-beta-updates.sh 3c3 < sudo defaults write com.apple.MobileAsset MobileAssetAssetAudience -string 98df7800-8378-4469-93bf-5912da21a1e1 --- > sudo defaults write com.apple.MobileAsset MobileAssetAssetAudience -string 1831c3e6-1dc4-4f6b-a9dc–7ae6a41d9af4
However, it didn't work when I just tested it in a macOS Sequoia VM. It may be necessary to build a new VM from scratch to get the 15.1 beta. (Use the Migration Assistant to get your data migrated from the 15.0 VM.)

palter

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Boston, MA
Yes, the Sequoia host is a documented requirement.
I built a fresh Sequoia VM in UTM running under Sequoia. I was able to login to iCloud in the VM.

However, Software Update in System Settings doesn't offer the ability to enroll in Beta Updates in the VM even though I'm logged in. That's the only reason I rebuilt my Sequoia VM so I could enroll and update to 15.1 beta. (Sigh)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.