Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leezona

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2022
Hi all! I want to upgrade internal storage of Apple 12" MacBook (Mid 2017) from 256 gb to 512 or 1 tb. According to laptop specs, there is PCI-E 3.0 SSD. Can I install something like Adata XPG https://ssdrive.net/adata-xpg-gammix-s5-1-tb that has PCIE-3.0 or I need compatible with MacBook solid state drive?

Thank you in advance :apple:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
None of the above. The storage is soldered to the motherboard.

Leezona

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2022
None of the above. The storage is soldered to the motherboard.
Thank you, I try to add SSD via USB 3.1. That's mean the speed will be lowered to 625 mbps. Have somebody the experience of usage something like this with Macbook? Is it worst to try or better to spend money for new laptop with better storage?

image;s=640x640

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you, I try to add SSD via USB 3.1. That's mean the speed will be lowered to 625 mbps. Have somebody the experience of usage something like this with Macbook? Is it worst to try or better to spend money for new laptop with better storage?

image;s=640x640
Whether or not you want to deal with external storage is up to you. 600 MB/s is pretty good.

I actually have one of those, but I would usually prefer something like the Samsung T7 Shield (which is different from the T7). They are no more expensive, are built specifically to be bus powered, don't get quite as hot as some of the DIY solutions, and have excellent sustained transfer speeds. The T7 Shield is USB-C (or USB-A).

dEFaG2uDLtJjX9mjq5kVF-970-80.jpeg

WDnkNhcmCFpYsLoixuete-970-80.jpeg

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Just keep in mind with the 12” MacBook, you’re going to want a USB hub with power pass-through to plug the drive into (since there’s only one USB port on the Mac). Otherwise you have to unplug the drive to charge the Mac.

Reactions: EugW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.