Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
For the people doing a clean install how are you doing it? I don't have a USB drive at hand, so I factory reset and formatted drive and as soon as I logged into Sonoma on first boot, immediately updated to Sequoia. Which took ages as well but that's the closest one could get without a USB drive I guess

erase all content and settings method

no need to erase the hard drive or usb

only takes a few minutes and good as new!

Reactions: Mike Boreham

Sptzz

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2024
erase all content and settings method

no need to erase the hard drive or usb

only takes a few minutes and good as new!

Since I saw there was a Data partition I thought it wasn't a full clean install when I tried it. But yeah, if you do format the drive then it will pull from the recovery which is always Sonoma.

So I take it, if you don't format the drive and do that method it's essentially a clean install, absolutely no settings / preferences / leftover crap?

q3anon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2020
For the people doing a clean install how are you doing it? I don't have a USB drive at hand, so I factory reset and formatted drive and as soon as I logged into Sonoma on first boot, immediately updated to Sequoia. Which took ages as well but that's the closest one could get without a USB drive I guess
Since I upgraded the Keychain Access broke, I rebooted my Intel MacBook Pro T2, selected CMD+R, Erase the disk, and reinstalled macOS Sequoia. It has some bugs, for example, if I change the Apple Account avatar doesn’t change my Avatar admin account and, without understanding why, the Avatar of my admin account changed the avatar without doing nothing! tvOS 18 also maintain the old Memoji when I use other on my iOS18 and macOS Sequoia!

Sptzz

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2024
Since I upgraded the Keychain Access broke, I rebooted my Intel MacBook Pro T2, selected CMD+R, Erase the disk, and reinstalled macOS Sequoia. It has some bugs, for example, if I change the Apple Account avatar doesn’t change my Avatar admin account and, without understanding why, the Avatar of my admin account changed the avatar without doing nothing! tvOS 18 also maintain the old Memoji when I use other on my iOS18 and macOS Sequoia!

Oh wow that's effed up! After erasing the disk and mac activating finished, I could only choose to install Sonoma, cause the recovery partition only contains Sonoma. Curious how it showed Sequoia for you

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Since I saw there was a Data partition I thought it wasn't a full clean install when I tried it. But yeah, if you do format the drive then it will pull from the recovery which is always Sonoma.

So I take it, if you don't format the drive and do that method it's essentially a clean install, absolutely no settings / preferences / leftover crap?
Yes. It’s the recommended way of returning Mac to factory state before giving away or selling. It leaves only the immutable Signed Sealed System volume in place. Machine will start up in Setup Assistant for new owner as a factory new machine would.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

q3anon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Oh wow that's effed up! After erasing the disk and mac activating finished, I could only choose to install Sonoma, cause the recovery partition only contains Sonoma. Curious how it showed Sequoia for you
Option-Command-R: When you press and hold these three keys at startup, Recovery might offer the latest macOS that is compatible with your Intel Mac.

With me, after upgrade to macOS Sequoia, CMD+R allows me to Reinstall macOS Sequoia.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011

everything got erased, had to resetup everything as new

i had the iwork apps before because they came preinstalled with the mac

erase all content and settings they were now gone and i didnt reinstall them because i never used them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.