Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unweit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
I would like to put Lion on a MacBook (late 2006) currently running Tiger. Since it got a C2D CPU and 2GB RAM it should be okay.

But I need some advice about the licence thing.

Can I just buy Lion in the App Store on any Mac running Snow Leopard and put it on the MacBook in Target Mode? Or do I have to buy Leopard AND Snow Leopard for the MacBook too?

Cheers.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
You only need to buy Lion once for your home computers. limit is 5 I think. I upgraded 3 machines to Lion. I didn't bother with TDM; I copied the downloaded "Install mac osx lion" from the application folder to the same folder on the other machines before I did the install since the install deletes the "install mac osx lion" app.

Unweit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Thanks for answering! But I know how to do it technically.

I need to know if I can upgrade to Lion from Tiger directly or if this violates Apples licence terms.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Thanks for answering! But I know how to do it technically.

I need to know if I can upgrade to Lion from Tiger directly or if this violates Apples licence terms.

No, you need to be on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard to upgrade to Lion.

Honestly, though, 2 GB isn't really going to cut it. I have a C2D 13" MBP mid-2009 and even with 4 GB of RAM it sometimes lags a bit.

If you're using it for basic stuff, it's okay. But if you need a heavier app, stay with Tiger or Snow Leopard. They are very stable OS'es.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
you can load lion on that machine legally, but it will not be an "upgrade" installation, it will need to be a "new" installation. snow leopard is required to perform a system upgrade to lion. any OSX less than snow leopard will only allow you to perform a "new" installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.