Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
I'm considering upgrading from my late 2014 Mac Mini to a refurbished late 2018 Mac Mini. My main concern is with the change in ports. My current mac Mini has 4 USB(A) ports but the later model will have only 2 such ports together with 4 Thunderbolt/USB(C) ports. I have more than 2 peripherals that use USB(A) plugs and don't want to have to buy more hardware if I can avoid it. Is it as simple as using adapters to plug an USB(A) plug into a USB(C) port and, if so, can you point to the type of adapter to use? Many thanks.

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
I used adapters USB A>USB C with my 2018 Mac Mini without any issues. They look like this.
1715792374212.jpeg

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Base may be covered with good answers above and I see you don't want to buy a hub but I'll throw out one more option: monitor stand with some USB ports (which is a different spin on the traditional hub). New Mac mini connects to a port on the stand, multiple jacks on the stand then become added USB ports you seek. Some stands can add a LOT of jacks. Do a search on Amazon for monitors stand with USB or monitor riser with USB.

I have an ancient, very low profile stand (just high enough to put the keyboard under it) that gives me 4 more USB 2 ports AND a dedicated monitor stand + hub off the side used as a riser/shelf for other things (not a monitor)... mostly to give me some very easy access to fundamental ports. I also chose a Dell 5K monitor with a substantial hub built into it (so if you need a new monitor at some point, don't be overly locked in on only the 2 "walled garden" offerings. There's PLENTY of fish in that sea).

And also note that if you need more storage, there are hubs with built-in storage, including some especially for Mac Mini (one example and another example of many). So that's like buying a deluxe storage enclosure that happens to come with some expansion ports. Instead of seeing them as a hub with storage, maybe see them as storage with bonus ports?

Last edited:

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Thanks, Guys. That looks good. So by using the adapters I can get the equivament of 6 USB(A) sockets on the 2018 Mac Mini's.

P.S. I only caught the last posting later. Thanks for those thoughts but the solutions are much more expensive than I care for.

Last edited:

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Can you give me the name of the pictured USBs or where the picture came from e.g. Amazon etc?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"My current mac Mini has 4 USB(A) ports but the later model will have only 2 such ports together with 4 Thunderbolt/USB(C) ports."

No.
Don't think of it that way.

I have a 2018 Mini myself.

There are (for all practical purposes) SIX USB ports on the back of the 2018 Mini.
Two of them are USBa ports that support USB3.
FOUR MORE of them are USBc ports that support USB3.1 gen2.
(yes, they are ALSO "thunderbolt" ports, but the ports "change functionality" depending on what's plugged into them).

There's a problem with using USBa-to-USBc adapters such as those jdblas posted above.
If they're "too large", they'll "block access" to the adjacent USBc ports.
Some may work ok, others may not.

BETTER OPTION:
Get a few of these:
The USBc end WON'T block adjacent ports, and the short cable makes them "flexible".

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Personally, I avoid using adapters where possible as it’s another point of failure. If you have a USB device with a non-detachable cable of course you don’t really have a choice (or just use those on the two included USB-C ports). But if the cable is detachable from the device, replace the cable with one for USB-C.

There are a few common “other ends” so you’ll need to know what the cable is using when you replace it. Common ones are USB-B (both 2.0 and 3.0), Micro USB (both 2.0 and 3.0), possibly Mini-USB if it’s an older device, and of course USB-C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.