Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spuck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
I would like to upgrade my Mac. I currently have an 2020 Mac Book Air that is nearly perfectly for my save that it gets hot when I try to use communications programs like Zoom and the Audio options in Discord. I was looking at a set up with a Mac mini, but looking at all the peripherals I need to get to get back to Mac Book Air, I would rather stick with iMac or Notebook.

My problem is that the displays beyond my current Retina Display give me dry eye at best and headaches at worse. I was wondering if I get a new MacBook Air, Pro, or iMac if I could use a program like BetterDisplay or Display Buddy to get my display because to something my eyes can handle. I want to disable things like HDR and Dolby Vision if that is possible.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you want more screen space, I'd suggest a 27" 4k display. There are many out there, at all price points. Even most of the "cheap ones" will still produce a pretty good image.

I'm thinking the reason the MBA "gets hot" is because it doesn't have an internal fan?
(I could be wrong about that)

If you're going to get a new laptop, I'd suggest a MacBook PRO 14". These do have fans, and more power for something like Zoom.

If you never carry the MBA around -- that is, just "use it like a desktop" -- then why not replace it with a REAL desktop, such as the m2pro Mini? But BE AWARE that new m4Pro Minis might appear towards the end of this year (no promises). Can you hold out a while longer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.