Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPhone will you be upgrading to?

• iPhone 13/12S Mini

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • iPhone 13/12S

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • iPhone 13/12S Pro

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • iPhone 13/12S Pro Max

Votes: 29 44.6%

• Total voters

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2021
So this year I’m upgrading to the iPhone released in September. I usually go for the normal sized device but I’m strongly considering the Pro Max this year. Not sure about colour but out of the three usual colours I’ll go for the Silver/White. I may go for the ‘halo’ colour depending on what it is - I’m not fully sold on the renders of the bronze colour that’s been rumoured.

I’ll be upgrading my gold iPhone XS, which is currently sporting a fashionable smashed back, so should be a very welcome a noticeable upgrade.

What phone will you be upgrading to and what device will it be replacing?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I'm waiting for the 13 Pro Max release before I decide if I want to upgrade from my X. It will be 4 years old in December so I'll definitely have Apple replace the battery and will keep it as a backup if I decide to upgrade..

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Will be getting 13 Pro Max.
Replacing 12 Pro Pro Max.
Why upgrade after a year? I could possibly understand if the size was bothering you...but that's more than likely going to be just like your current phone, with minor camera updates and a 120hz screen (which is overblown...the novelty wears off and then you kind of forget about it).

I have an 11 Pro Max, but I'm sitting this year out just like I did the 12. Unfortunately, my phone is showing signs of issues, but its no biggie. I'm going to upgrade once the 14 is out, I'll had graduated by then.

Why upgrade after a year? I could possibly understand if the size was bothering you...but that's more than likely going to be just like your current phone, with minor camera updates and a 120hz screen (which is overblown...the novelty wears off and then you kind of forget about it).

I have an 11 Pro Max, but I'm sitting this year out just like I did the 12. Unfortunately, my phone is showing signs of issues, but its no biggie. I'm going to upgrade once the 14 is out, I'll had graduated by then.
Been upgrading every year since 2008 consecutively. Never missed a year. iPhone 3G days. It’s a tradition to upgrade yearly.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
That upgrade is going be amazing, I bet!

No doubt. I'm a pretty light user and really only use my phone for calling, texting and the odd email so all the battery complaints are irrelevant for me. It's going to be a pretty amazing upgrade for me. Just a question of when I will pull the trigger.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2021
I didn’t cast a vote but I’m going to go from Max to Pro this year. I want something smaller in my pocket this time around
Do you feel that the Max uses the larger screen real estate effectively?

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Do you feel that the Max uses the larger screen real estate effectively?
I see that mentioned often and I don’t get it. In my opinion, it’s the same as the standard just a little bigger. Now there are certain apps that do look better on the Max, but in daily usage, it’s a non-issue.

It’s not like you’d get the Max and feel cheated. Trust me, I’ve done many side-by-side comparisons with my Max and my son’s Pro. I love the larger screen, the bigger battery, but the added weight is what’s making me change this year. And if I don’t like it, I have 14 days to return it. LOL

Reactions: Barbareren

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2021
I see that mentioned often and I don’t get it. In my opinion, it’s the same as the standard just a little bigger. Now there are certain apps that do look better on the Max, but in daily usage, it’s a non-issue.

It’s not like you’d get the Max and feel cheated. Trust me, I’ve done many side-by-side comparisons with my Max and my son’s Pro. I love the larger screen, the bigger battery, but the added weight is what’s making me change this year. And if I don’t like it, I have 14 days to return it. LOL
I've never owned a Plus or Max sized iPhone. I only ask as I'm strongly considering the Max this time round - the camera enhancements aren't really a thing for me but the bigger screen with the better battery are the biggest pull. I really wish Apple would bring back the landscape Home Screen. Heck even something like the quick notes feature on the iPads would feel at home on the Max. There's a reason why Samsung bossed the market for years on end with their Note line. Would love for Apple to do something similar with the Max. But alas, I'll probably get it regardless for the better battery and larger screen.

Reactions: DevinNj

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
I’m ready to retire my X. Been eying the Mini for most of the year, just haven’t had a opportunity to hold one yet. Used a family member’s standard 12 and I liked how light in weight it is, but it also felt a tad wide compared to my X. I’m assuming the Pro will feel heavier due to the materials.

I think I’d be happy with either model (Mini/standard/Pro). The Max is just too large for me.

Reactions: Apple$

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I've never owned a Plus or Max sized iPhone. I only ask as I'm strongly considering the Max this time round - the camera enhancements aren't really a thing for me but the bigger screen with the better battery are the biggest pull. I really wish Apple would bring back the landscape Home Screen. Heck even something like the quick notes feature on the iPads would feel at home on the Max. There's a reason why Samsung bossed the market for years on end with their Note line. Would love for Apple to do something similar with the Max. But alas, I'll probably get it regardless for the better battery and larger screen.
It’s truly a fantastic phone! The screen and the battery are amazing. My issue with iPhones in general is that they are heavy. They are heavier than a comparable sized Samsung for example. Add a case to that and it’s even a little heavier. That’s the only reason I’m gonna go smaller this year.

Reactions: Saladin12

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
13 Mini from an XS Max. Very ready to have an ergonomic phone again. I really do enjoy my XS Max and I tolerate the size well, but sometimes it can be quite annoying. I’m also looking forward to better connectivity with Qualcomm modem + 5G + WiFi 6 (I have a WiFi 6 router but no WiFi 6 devices).

Reactions: Barbareren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.