Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyc2pdx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Portland, Oregon
I'm set to receive a space gray XS Max 256gb on launch day. I do have and engagement that morning and will not be home, so I am considering having it held at UPS and picking it up. Has anyone had experience with this?

I have a mychoice account with UPS. Would I be able to pick it up mid morning on 9/21 if I have it held?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I'm set to receive a space gray XS Max 256gb on launch day. I do have and engagement that morning and will not be home, so I am considering having it held at UPS and picking it up. Has anyone had experience with this?

I have a mychoice account with UPS. Would I be able to pick it up mid morning on 9/21 if I have it held?
As as long as you have it hold for pick up at the UPS CC/Hub you should be able to pick it up there.

Reactions: oneteam and nyc2pdx

jsmitty

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
NC

Holding at the UPS hub has worked for me several times over the years.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
Ive always had them held for pickup at UPS, and every year theres always at least 6-9 other people waiting for me outside for the doors to open so they can pickup their phones too haha

Reactions: nyc2pdx

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I tried this previously and was told the shipper requires at least one delivery attempted before it can be held. It was not for an iPhone it was actually at MacBook Pro that came directly from Apple. Hopefully that is not the case.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Ok cool! I think I'm going to give it a shot this year for the first time. So once I get a tracking number then I call them and tell them to hold at my nearest customer center?
Once you get tracking number, you can also do this on ups.com and if you don't have UPS MyChoice, you can sign up for it for free.

Reactions: nyc2pdx and edlex

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I tried this previously and was told the shipper requires at least one delivery attempted before it can be held. It was not for an iPhone it was actually at MacBook Pro that came directly from Apple. Hopefully that is not the case.
They used to do that but now allow hold at ups customer counter and they can check id. Don’t think they will do any redirects to non ups facility without attempt still.

Reactions: OTACORB

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I’ve picked my iPhone up at ups each of the last 4 years. I choose the hub online with ups MyChoice after the device ships. They have it ready when the doors open at 8 am. I’ve never seen more than 10 people waiting for their device. I’m in and out quickly with all day remaining to play with my new device.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Of course but by doing so, you add 1 business day to pick it up. So not an option if you are looking to pick it up on original delivery day.
Nope, it’s a Friday delivery so and with ups not delivering on Saturday they will get it there on Friday.
This is what I did with the series 3 and X

Reactions: AppleChic76

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Nope, it’s a Friday delivery so and with ups not delivering on Saturday they will get it there on Friday.
This is what I did with the series 3 and X
YMMV. But I still wouldn't choose UPS Store as a hold for pick up as it does typically add a 1 business day delay meaning you will have to wait till Monday. I've read some thread about this and they actually do delay. Better to do it at UPS CC.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, don’t choose any option except for a Customer Center: choosing a UPS store typically delays delivery because they reroute it rather than just not putting it on the truck.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015

Smart decision. They lost my phone last year. I don't trust that company with expensive things! After this incident I decided to never, never, never again order online, is better to wait and go to the apple store and buy the phone.

Good luck and enjoy your new phone...

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Yeah, don’t choose any option except for a Customer Center: choosing a UPS store typically delays delivery because they reroute it rather than just not putting it on the truck.
Agreed, it may work for some, and not others and definitely not advisable to have it hold for pick up at the UPS Store. I have experienced this with other packages and it's a hit or miss but most of the time, UPS delayed them and I wasn't able to pick it up on that day. But for a phone, I would not take any chances.

Reactions: TokMok3

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018

Yes you would be able to. I do this every year.

Reactions: nyc2pdx

gui0312

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Can you designate someone to pick up your phone at a UPS center? For example my wife and I ordered iPhones but won’t be home, can she pick up both phones at UPS hub? We obviously have two iPhone upgrade accounts.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Can you designate someone to pick up your phone at a UPS center? For example my wife and I ordered iPhones but won’t be home, can she pick up both phones at UPS hub? We obviously have two iPhone upgrade accounts.
Yes, she can as long as the address on both package matches on her ID. I have done this for my wife when she's not available to pick it up and I pick it up for her, no issues there.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 7.34.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 7.34.28 AM.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 230
Reactions: yashz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.