Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grist44

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
I love my new iPad pro 11” but as I do travel a lot (for pleasure) the requirement to carry one new cable + one more adaptor is a nightmare for me.

I have an iPhone X, Apple Watch series 4 and I’ve just upgraded from the previous iPad Pro. I had a 3x usb adaptor (from ikea) and usually I was just carrying only 2 cables. One for Apple Watch and a lightning one for the iPhone and iPad Pro.

It kind of bothers me that I now have to carry 3 cables and 2 adaptors everywhere I go.

If someone could suggest a solution that could remove the need for one extra adaptor (or/and cable) I would be grateful.

Did I say that I love the new iPad Pro?

Thank you

Reactions: kristiguin

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
You can buy a USB-C to USB-A cable and continue using your existing USB hub. Apple sells one but you can get a better one from Anker for less on Amazon.

The situation will reverse soon with the 2019 iPhones IMHO likely to go USB-C, the iMac and MacBooks already there, the iPads already there etc. Soon you will buy a USB-C hub and have all USB-C cables to your devices. For example Apple has started selling a USB-C to Apple Watch charging cable in just the last few weeks.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Wireless charger that does watch and phone?

no i just meant the typical wireless charging cord with the round circle for apple watch but on the other end a USB-C plug. and maybe i mis-understood your comment, if you are implying the original poster should buy a wireless pad for the two devices, i would recommend against that for travel due to space considerations and the overall speed and reliability of wireless charging when in the uncertain confines of a hotel etc. Wireless for me is better at home with charging pads always connected by bedside etc.

Reactions: kristiguin

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
You may lead a privileged life if this is your idea of a nightmare. ;)

As mentioned, you can use a multiport USB adapter (with appropriate cable) to charge the new iPad an only have to add one cable to what you are used to carrying. Depending on the wattage of the USB adapter, the ipad may or may not charge as fast as the included charger with the new ipad. But if you are doing it overnight, not sure fast matters.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
This isn’t actually an answer to your question but maybe better organization would help. I always have trouble remembering all the cables and dongles when I travel, not to mention what pocket or pouch they’re in. This is a Grid-It, just a flat ‘board’ covered with elastic bands of different sizes. It also has a large pouch on the back that can hold a IPM and maybe something a bit larger. It packs well and can be used for non-tech things too of course. Different sizes are available.

Please note that I do not travel with all the junk pictured, but at home it’s a good way to keep small widgets in one place. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• CC0711AE-6ED9-40DD-9F09-79C192C64679.jpeg
    CC0711AE-6ED9-40DD-9F09-79C192C64679.jpeg
    989.5 KB · Views: 422

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
I had the opposite problem when I was in the UK last month. All devices were USBC, except my iPhone.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
When I travel, I take a 4-way USB charger, and 4 cables - USB-C for my Galaxy S9, 2x micro USB for my Samsung Watch and Kindle, and lightning for my 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9. If they all used the same cable, I'd still carry 4 cables so I can charge everything overnight. Amazon often has multi packs in the daily deals, my last purchases were 5 USB C cables (2x 1m, 2x 2m, 1x 3m) for £8.99, 3x 2m micro USB cables for £5.95, and an additional 4 way charger for £9.99, so I can leave my other one permanently connected at home. Altogether, that comes to about what Apple charges for a single cable.

I keep them all together in a clear plastic bag to help at security (I've been stopped twice before for having a phone charger, again for an electric toothbrush, and another time for leaving a lipsil in my coat pocket), and so I can just grab it and pack easily.

Reactions: NoBoMac

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
I have the RAVpower 60w adapter from Amazon in my luggage. It gives me one 45w USB C and 4x USB A at up to 2.4a each. It’s been perfect as I do use the fast charge line for quick jumps on the iPad and iPhone with a usb C to lightning cable. Also comes in handy for juice to my Nintendo Switch and controller. And I also use it to fill my Anker 20kmah batteries. The other ports are good for iWatch, AirPods, Apple Pencil, whatever MicroUSB device. One brick to rule them all... *road warrior*

Reactions: rbrian

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have the RAVpower 60w adapter from Amazon in my luggage. It gives me one 45w USB C and 4x USB A at up to 2.4a each. It’s been perfect as I do use the fast charge line for quick jumps on the iPad and iPhone with a usb C to lightning cable. Also comes in handy for juice to my Nintendo Switch and controller. And I also use it to fill my Anker 20kmah batteries. The other ports are good for iWatch, AirPods, Apple Pencil, whatever MicroUSB device. One brick to rule them all... *road warrior*

I have a similar Anker charger that fills the bill for all my devices when traveling -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8C6ULO

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I keep them all together in a clear plastic bag to help at security [...] and so I can just grab it and pack easily.

This.

As mentioned, and with some different charger options, can build a nice grab-and-go travel kit and leave the other chargers and cables at home, so you can still charge at home, in case you lose or damage the travel kit. Can get some inexpensive Anker or Amazon Basics cables.

The charger/cable conundrum has always been there with Apple, depending on when you bought your stuff and how long held. Normal travel devices for me tend to be iPhone and iPad. Had the iPad gen 3 for years, so, needed a 30-pin cable along with Lightning. Old laptop coming along? Well, now need to haul the Magsafe charger as well.

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I feel your pain op! I travel a lot, and I have been home the last 2 days with this new iPad and I am already looking for cables to plug it in. So solved that by hitting up eBay for 4 more cables and 2 other blocks so I’m good. I honestly wish that if this was apples plan that they would have implemented it into the iPhone first. Because god knows we all have 20 lightning cables from 1 to 10 meters that are now useless minus my phone which I quick charge and that’s a usb-c to lightning. So lots of cables and blocks here for sale if anyone needs lightning stuff! Lol

Reactions: rui no onna

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
Yeah, it’s the change over that creates some issues
Sure, but this is people complaining about the solution to the problem that they're complaining about.

You guys ought to be mad at apple for not switching iPhones over to USB-C last year. Not at them for switching iPads to it this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azathoth123

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
We're probably just a few years away from people wishing all their ports were usb-c. I have two usb-c to usb-a dongles but all my other devices have usb-c cables. As someone else already said if they iPhone were usb-c I'd be set. I have a new iPad at home waiting to be opened and it will be nice when I need to charge it to just unplug my Macbook and use that cable.

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Think it’s wishful? Thinking for other gadgets to switch from lightning. Apart from perceived ease of use there aren’t any advantages I can think of, not like giving it to the new iPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.